to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:53 PM
The Ayatollah of Rock & Rolla
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Dec 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHighSelllow View Post
Yeh not the plastic supports I seen those and wont be using them, im talking about the bushings only.

I am going to do the balsa mod but was wondering if I need to remove the bushings and re-glue it ?
Yep, mine came right out, using just my fingernail. If you plane to do 4 cell, do the tail mod listed in the manual.
StickHack is offline Find More Posts by StickHack
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:54 PM
The Ayatollah of Rock & Rolla
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Dec 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger169 View Post
I ordered the airfame kit from hobby people. I have a 3000kv motor and 5 bladed fan unit from a dynam meteor. With a 60amp esc, will this work with this plane?
3000kv should be a 4 or 5 cell setup.
StickHack is offline Find More Posts by StickHack
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:50 PM
Some Girls r Bigger thn Others
USA, UT, Cedar Hills
Joined Jun 2010
1,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger169 View Post
I ordered the airfame kit from hobby people. I have a 3000kv motor and 5 bladed fan unit from a dynam meteor. With a 60amp esc, will this work with this plane?
I use that combo in mine and my Squall on 5s, works great!!!
swps is online now Find More Posts by swps
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:11 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHighSelllow View Post
Nice but seems like alot of work to me.

Im looking for something super simple. How does the magnet solution work out ? I have seen pics of the whole bottom half of the fuse connected with rows of magnets. Does it hold ok ?

I like the plastic connection pieces I have seen in the thread pics too but dont have time to wait on delivery of them.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5239
it is 3 bolts 2 for the lower fuse and one that holds the inlet duct ,whats hard about that? once you have these 3 bolts out ,the inlet duct pops out and the esc is right there on top of it ,two more bolts and the fan comes out ,so the whole power system fan/motor/esc is out in 3mins...kiss method no glued in fans .easy to maintain,and with a bit of R/C car chassie protector on the bottom i landed it on asphalt all the time ,best way to go if you ask me .
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:22 PM
United States, TN, Maryville
Joined Jun 2012
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swps View Post
I use that combo in mine and my Squall on 5s, works great!!!
Researching the meteor, they recommend a 4s setup. Bigger plane altogether. I think the 4s will be how I start. This is my 3rd edf. Got the Skyangle f86 and the dynam a-10. They are super fun to fly. There seems to be so many ways to take this plane, any basic starter stuff? Thrust tube, morgan rc aero upgrades? Thanks in advance.
dagger169 is offline Find More Posts by dagger169
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:29 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Dagger, the fan combo in that plane is actually a detrum 70mm. Hobbypartz sells the combo for 50 bucks. There have been numerous people using it on 5s including myself. If you go to the scratchbuilt edf section, I have a video of a 50 inch f15 with that combo on 5s. On 4s, you are only gonna get between 550 -600 watts with a 56mm thrust tube. As for basic starter stuff. Reinforce the pylons with 1/16 ply. There is templates in your supplemental manual for cutting the ply. It is a must on 4s. That is really the only crucial upgrade that needs to be done. I fly mine with no actual thrust tube (I glued the end in such a way that it is the exit size of the thrust tube I would use), and no actual intake. IMHO , neither is really necessary unless you are wanting EXTREME speeds (like 150mph). Mine gets over 100 on 4s pretty easy. The mods and what not that the guys here sell are nice though, so if you have the spare cash, why not. I unfortunately don't so I save money where I can.
stingeragents is offline Find More Posts by stingeragents
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:50 PM
Joined Jun 2012
43 Posts
All right, stingeragents. How about if I want to go on 3s?
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:00 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
3s is gonna be way underpowered for a 70mm fan. It may be possible to get it flying with that but id go 4s hands down
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:15 PM
Joined Jun 2012
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingeragents View Post
3s is gonna be way underpowered for a 70mm fan. It may be possible to get it flying with that but id go 4s hands down
I understand. Just trying to use my existing stock of 3s. This will be my first 4cells, hello hobbyking.
I just got the kit here a work, looks cool, packed well, no broken parts.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:34 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Hobbypartz also sells cheap batts and they in us. I feel ur pain. Used to only have 3s planes. You could build some cheap pusher jets to keep using your 3s. As for batt size id go 2200 40c at a minimum. 2650 or 3000 would be better. Id also highly recommend glassing at least the front half. Can save your foam in minor crashes
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:06 PM
Champagne Supernova
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2010
2,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
it is 3 bolts 2 for the lower fuse and one that holds the inlet duct ,whats hard about that? once you have these 3 bolts out ,the inlet duct pops out and the esc is right there on top of it ,two more bolts and the fan comes out ,so the whole power system fan/motor/esc is out in 3mins...kiss method no glued in fans .easy to maintain,and with a bit of R/C car chassie protector on the bottom i landed it on asphalt all the time ,best way to go if you ask me .
Mostly what I see at post 1760 and 1761 is a discussion on the fiberglass duct. I really dont see alot of detail on how you attached it. I want to attach the upper and lower fuse without glueing it. Im not making or using a custom fiberglass duct.

I see 2 standoffs but other than that I dont get any details from reading those posts. Sorry. Would love to see and hear more details how I can can secure my upper and lower fuse for easy removal.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1760

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1761
FlyHighSelllow is online now Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:29 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Test fit all electronics. Everything good to go. Last minute i decided to install wings and glass top of plane. Now just gotta wait like 6 hours for it to cure some. Im liking this zpoxy already
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined Jun 2012
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingeragents View Post
Hobbypartz also sells cheap batts and they in us. I feel ur pain. Used to only have 3s planes. You could build some cheap pusher jets to keep using your 3s. As for batt size id go 2200 40c at a minimum. 2650 or 3000 would be better. Id also highly recommend glassing at least the front half. Can save your foam in minor crashes
Thanks. BTW what is the stock setup they were putting in this to run on 3s with a 30amp esc? 55mm 64mm? I also have some 64mm 3000kv motors and fans with smaller blades.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:03 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
It was a 55mm or something like that i think. Or it could have been an alpha 64. If your wanting the easy route use a 64. If your fans like mine the intake ring cant be removed. I cut it off with a dremel and you still will have to do a lot of sanding to get it in there. If you got a dremel i'd highly recommend sanding with that.

Flyhigh, Theres not a super easy way to do it. You can try magnets but I wouldn't trust that at the speeds this plane is capable of. You can either cut a section out and just tape it on, or you can cut a piece of ply and put nuts in it. Then glue that to the inside of the upper fuesalage. Then glue some more ply supports on the bottom of the fuesalage, and run a bolt up through that ply, through the intake area, and into the nut you glued inside the fuesalage.
Last edited by stingeragents; Dec 04, 2012 at 05:45 PM.