HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:39 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
I've got a balanced 64mm EDO fan and a Don's Wicked 4800 that I run on a 3S 1800 35C battery. Worth every cent. Not a big monster power set-up like some guys are running, but it would fly the EF16 just fine with the proper thrust cone.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:30 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Started work today on my second one. Got cf rod in the pylon and 1/16 ply on. Only thing left is to glass when the zpoxy gets in tomorrow. Also started digging out the foam for the fan. Once my elecs get in should be finished quickly.
stingeragents is offline Find More Posts by stingeragents
Last edited by stingeragents; Nov 30, 2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:10 AM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,567 Posts
my ef-16 dosen't really sound like an edf jet, more like a loud prop plane ! i think my fan blade is out of balance bad....but it flies pretty freakin good ! i can't commit to ripping off the lower fuselage duct to take off the fan & fix it
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:51 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Careful how much power you put through it. fans can and will explode. I had a 55mm jpower plane. Never balanced it. Was fine on 3s minus being loud. Soon as i put a 4s in it the fan blew before i could even throw the plane. Cutting an access hatch is super easy. You dont have to remove whole bottom. Start your hatch just forward of the fan. If you have a thrust tube you may have to go whole way back. Ill take a pic of mine in a second. Dont mind that tape. Just have it on mine cause bottom doesnt seat all the way in back. As long as you use a sharp blade you can get a very clean line
Last edited by stingeragents; Dec 02, 2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:38 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,271 Posts
ck post #1760 and #1761 in the big thread for the way i did the fuse bottom ,super easy to remove the whole power system in less than 3 mins.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:57 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Just an update to my 2nd build. Got the vert stab, and tailerons glassed. Also got the canopy section glassed. At a hold until my power system gets in tomorrow. Not gonna glass the wings until they are joined to the plane so I can glass over the wing joint. I could put them on now but don't wanna bang them around while im getting all the electronics in. Zpoxy is for sure more difficult to work with than polycrylic but I think it will be worth it. These pylons with the CF, plywood, and glass feel like they are made out of steel. No way they are going anywhere. Once I get the fan balanced and everything the remainder of the build should go real quick. Can probably get the plane fully together tomorrow but gonna have to let the glass cure overnight. Might be able to maiden on tuesday. I've also got two other planes I'm gonna try to start and finish tomorrow. Long day ahead.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:15 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,271 Posts
what weight fiberglass cloth did you use ?
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:53 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
3/4
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:17 PM
Champagne Supernova
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2010
2,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
ck post #1760 and #1761 in the big thread for the way i did the fuse bottom ,super easy to remove the whole power system in less than 3 mins.
Nice but seems like alot of work to me.

Im looking for something super simple. How does the magnet solution work out ? I have seen pics of the whole bottom half of the fuse connected with rows of magnets. Does it hold ok ?

I like the plastic connection pieces I have seen in the thread pics too but dont have time to wait on delivery of them.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5239
FlyHighSelllow is offline Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:19 PM
Champagne Supernova
Joined Jul 2010
2,023 Posts
Since most of the posts about the bushings etc etc etc occured over a span of 4 years ago I was wondering if there is still a need to remove and secure the bushings better then how they come. I haven't looked at mine real close but they appear to be ok.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:48 PM
GLM
AMA 209854
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,520 Posts
Hi All,

Thought I'd post a current link as the one just above takes you to another page.

Phase-3 EF-16 aftermarket performance parts

Thanks for the interest everybody - this plane is one of the special ones for sure!

Cheers!

Gary
GLM is offline Find More Posts by GLM
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:08 PM
The Ayatollah of Rock & Rolla
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Dec 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHighSelllow View Post
Since most of the posts about the bushings etc etc etc occured over a span of 4 years ago I was wondering if there is still a need to remove and secure the bushings better then how they come. I haven't looked at mine real close but they appear to be ok.
They come with some kind of plastic support now, it peels right off. My bushings are not glued well. I just got my kit. Still needs to be stiffened up with balsa.
StickHack is offline Find More Posts by StickHack
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:11 PM
United States, TN, Maryville
Joined Jun 2012
43 Posts
I ordered the airfame kit from hobby people. I have a 3000kv motor and 5 bladed fan unit from a dynam meteor. With a 60amp esc, will this work with this plane?
dagger169 is offline Find More Posts by dagger169
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:13 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Yes that fan will work
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:22 PM
Champagne Supernova
Joined Jul 2010
2,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickHack View Post
They come with some kind of plastic support now, it peels right off. My bushings are not glued well. I just got my kit. Still needs to be stiffened up with balsa.
Yeh not the plastic supports I seen those and wont be using them, im talking about the bushings only.

I am going to do the balsa mod but was wondering if I need to remove the bushings and re-glue it ?