SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:07 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysis View Post
It's by no means economical! Unless you're doing large numbers.

It is however much more satisfying than buying another kit. And you can make them as strong/light as you like. Have one 500w park floater, one 2kw missile!
LOL... I love the concept of a "500W Parkfloater."
We're so spoiled these days!

When I built my first EF-16 back in 2008, with a Don's Wicked motor and a 64mm Eflite fan, 500W was considered a fairly hot plane.
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:54 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
Yeah, I didn't even think about that!
Try doing that on round cells
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:22 PM
United States, KS, Atchison
Joined Jun 2012
159 Posts
RLC2052, what is the 2w-25 with CS 10 drawing amp wise?? Also, how much thrust are you getting? Are you running 5s or 6s?? I have the same motor and was thinking about getting the CS 10 rotor.. Thanks,
Hotseater is online now Find More Posts by Hotseater
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:02 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Well my franken plane flies again. No canopy and the front half is all twisted and what not but it flies. I didn't do anything to beef up the pylons on this one except fiberglass tape. I kept it under half throttle the whole time. I was expecting it to crash so I could have a power system to transfer to one of the 2 new ones I got coming but no such luck. I'm really wanting to run a 5s setup in one of the new ones but debating on just getting the detrum fan and running it on 5s, or getting another CS to run on 5s. Hrm. decisions, decisions. I did pick up some ply today, as well as cf rod to properly beef up the new ones. Also got some music wire so I can just have the ailerons flat instead of angled.
stingeragents is offline Find More Posts by stingeragents
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:52 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
They're angled for a reason...
The wing produces a dirty region of air behind it, in pretty much a flat line. When the elevator passes through this wake, it changes the AoA on the stab, therefore making the plane pitch up/down.

If the stab is in line with the wing, that can happen all at once at certain angles of attack. With it angled, it happens gradually - hopefully at a speed the pilot won't notice.

The real F16 has it, the Hawk's got a bit, and the F4 has it in spades!
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:19 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Hmmm. Well efflux did straight ones on his 150mph one and it turned out fine. My main reason was once i had it installed the angle was different on each one. They were identical when i glued the rods in as i faced the rod ends together to make sure they were equal. Idk. It flew fine either way
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:33 AM
The Ayatollah of Rock & Rolla
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Dec 2011
179 Posts
Ok, I have read a lot of this thread, I'm new to EDF so here is my setup. P3 F16 with Detrum 3000kv 70mm and the supplied 60amp esc. I will be running 4 cell, probably 2200 40c since I have some, may go bigger later on the batteries. I will move the fan back a couple inches. I plan to wrap the pylons in either carbon or ply for strength, and will add the inner bushing, and maybe a strip of carbon on the inside too for extra strength. Here are a couple questions before I get started building.

1. Carbon or ply for the pylons? Whats easier to work with, I have a dremel to cut carbon if needed.
2. If carbon, what thickness. I was thinking 0.5mm
3. What other mods should I consider with this setup, not looking for much over 120mph for now, I purchased 2 kits if I should want to build the next one for more power.
4. What kind of speed can I expect with this combo?
5. Should I run a separate BEC just in case? I have one laying around, but with just 2 servos do I need it?

Thanks, lot of good info here, I have been over 100mph before with a HK Rarebear, but its just to damn small, and I tend to get it to far away from me, not used to going 100+ close in. I thought this jet may be a good next step for me.
StickHack is offline Find More Posts by StickHack
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:26 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
From what ive been told on the pylons do both. Many have done just ply and i know effluxrc did just carbon. My tails ripped off my bird with them being fiberglassed. My next build will run a carbon spar the length of the pylon plus about 6 in more forward. Then will do the ply over that. Im running that same combo but with cs rotor. Unless you can remove the intake lip your gonna want to cut it off. Took me a while to get the shroud to fit. I ended up cutting off half the lip, sanding the inside and it still didnt wanna fit. Also you may want bigger batts. My 2200 40c only got 500 watts with the detrum rotor. Im getting 780 watts with same batt but the 10 blade rotor. Id guess its in low 100s
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:11 PM
Something Something RC
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Nov 2010
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotseater View Post
RLC2052, what is the 2w-25 with CS 10 drawing amp wise?? Also, how much thrust are you getting? Are you running 5s or 6s?? I have the same motor and was thinking about getting the CS 10 rotor.. Thanks,
I am running about 58 amps on 4s. I don't think this motor would like 5s or 6s with the cs-10

Not sure about thrust but I am expecting to go about 120-130 mph.

There is a lot of good info in the CS10 thread.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1521248
rlc2052 is offline Find More Posts by rlc2052
Last edited by rlc2052; Nov 29, 2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:31 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Has anyone filed a spot down on the taileron rod where the linkage screws down onto it? My last 2 landings on rough grass rotated the left taileron on the shaft. I have them screwed down as tight as I can get them, so I'm thinking maybe a flat spot is in order. Got my 2 new kits in today. Power system for one, wont be here till monday, and not sure when my zpoxy will be in. Also, question on amp draw for the motor. What are the odds of a motor frying running it about 20 amps over what its rated at for short bursts? The motor is the dynam 3000kv. On 4s, i'm getting 780 watts at 60 amps. If I go 5s on it, I get 1400w at 80 amps. If I was to run this 5s setup in the plane would it last? I fly mostly at half throttle so there would be very few WOT runs, and not longer than a few seconds.
Last edited by stingeragents; Nov 29, 2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:50 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,848 Posts
Yes, grind a flat on the taileron pivot rods for the control arms.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:17 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Having a motor issue last couple days. It seems like it wants to randomly cut out in flight. It doesnt but just sounds like it struggles for a few seconds then picks back up. Happens below 1/2 throttle
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:28 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
I have a EF-16 kit on order with no power system. I have a perfect fan and motor unit out of my Stinger 64mm that died. Will it work in my new F-16 or is it too big? The Stinger flew well on it w/3S 2200/50C in it. I was making an order from Heads Up and saw a 55mm /4750Kv. EDF motor and fan unit for $26.00. It shows; 33amps, 380watts and 23oz.thrust w/2200/40C lipo. Would that be better? Then, I have heard of Don's Wicked, what's up there? I'm learning this jet thing, I will get this if y'all help, promise...Dave/zeezee BTW, I normally fly Big warbirds and my Pawnee, 60"-110" planes. I can fly, but jet's?????
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:38 PM
Some Girls r Bigger thn Others
USA, UT, Cedar Hills
Joined Jun 2010
1,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezee View Post
I have a EF-16 kit on order with no power system. I have a perfect fan and motor unit out of my Stinger 64mm that died. Will it work in my new F-16 or is it too big? The Stinger flew well on it w/3S 2200/50C in it. I was making an order from Heads Up and saw a 55mm /4750Kv. EDF motor and fan unit for $26.00. It shows; 33amps, 380watts and 23oz.thrust w/2200/40C lipo. Would that be better? Then, I have heard of Don's Wicked, what's up there? I'm learning this jet thing, I will get this if y'all help, promise...Dave/zeezee BTW, I normally fly Big warbirds and my Pawnee, 60"-110" planes. I can fly, but jet's?????
I'm flying mine with a 70mm fan on 5s. The stock setup is a 64mm setup so your power system should fly it fine as it will be nice and light and should be much quicker than the Stinger. I would not go smaller. If you want a high power 64mm setup, then Don's is the way to go! He has an excellent product and excellent customer service. If you want to go really high power then, go 70mm and the sky's the limit here on what you want to put in it!

In any case make sure you do the mods so your plane will be around to enjoy for a long time!

Good luck!
swps is offline Find More Posts by swps
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:12 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Whats the power figures on that 64mm? At least 700 watts will give you over 100 easy