HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2010, 08:57 PM
Honolulu, HI
Joined Jun 2007
175 Posts
Great Idea!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkasochi View Post
I would suggest putting some thin (2 or 3mm) depron over the wiring in front of the fan with a hole cut out for the esc to cool. It will make a huge difference reducing drag over the wires and hot glue. A large styrofoam cup would work well too. It's already shaped for you.

I used a plastic water bottle which I slit from bottom to top and reshaped the diameter to fit right up to the fan lip. I did not cut a hole for the ESC because I have a cooling hole in the canopy. I closed the cheaters about 90% to allow the canopy inlet to exhaust around by water bottle intake and out cheater holes.
bdp3822 is offline Find More Posts by bdp3822
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2010, 08:45 PM
Wherever you go- There you are
Rancho Cucamonga,CA
Joined Aug 2008
13 Posts
Ups-2

I just finished my 3rd EF-16. I used the same paint scheme as the last. I used Air Sally's inlet duct, inlet lip, nose cone, tail cone. I just want to say that everything fit like a glove. I can't say enough about his workmanship. I used my existing motor,fan, and ESC. The only damage from the previous EF-16'S crash was to the impeller, a servo wire, and of course the fuselage. I may maiden it tomorrow if the weather permits. I using the E-Flight Delta-15 fan with the recommended motor and ESC. I'm hoping for about 120mph. I will try and upload a picture.
Cheers--------Larry
lroughton is offline Find More Posts by lroughton
Old Nov 27, 2010, 09:38 PM
Angry Flyer!
washington state
Joined Oct 2008
383 Posts
wow, nice! Did you mod the tail?
jriley1974 is offline Find More Posts by jriley1974
Old Nov 27, 2010, 09:54 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
that is super nice Iroughton! I am tempted to pay you to do one for me! I dont think I could do one that nice. how long did it take you to do that?
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:08 PM
Wherever you go- There you are
Rancho Cucamonga,CA
Joined Aug 2008
13 Posts
jriley 1974,
Yes I did all the tail mods. I boxed it all in with plywood and balanced the tailerons with nickel inserts. I added the inside bushing to stiffen it up.
I also added 2 c/f tube spars on each wing. I did not glass the entire plane just the bottom intake hatch cover. It is epoxied on for additional strength. I also added two flat c/f strips below the battery because so much hogging out of the foam took place to fit the intake duct. If I ever need to get to the motor or esc, I will have to cut the hatch off and re-glue it on. Wish me luck on the maiden. The only reason I'm nervous is because there are no cheaters and that seems to effect different set-ups in different ways. Cheers-----------Larry
lroughton is offline Find More Posts by lroughton
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:58 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lroughton View Post
I just finished my 3rd EF-16. I used the same paint scheme as the last.
Looks GREAT!! Just needs a pilot figure in there to be complete
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Nov 28, 2010, 01:18 AM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
Quote:
I just finished my 3rd EF-16. I used the same paint scheme as the last. I used Air Sally's inlet duct, inlet lip, nose cone, tail cone. I just want to say that everything fit like a glove. I can't say enough about his workmanship. I used my existing motor,fan, and ESC. The only damage from the previous EF-16'S crash was to the impeller, a servo wire, and of course the fuselage. I may maiden it tomorrow if the weather permits. I using the E-Flight Delta-15 fan with the recommended motor and ESC. I'm hoping for about 120mph. I will try and upload a picture.
Cheers--------Larry
That's a slick paint job. Looks Great!

Good luck on the maiden
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Nov 29, 2010, 05:03 AM
Lincolnshire, UK
Joined Oct 2009
522 Posts
Quote:
Cheers--------Larry
Jeez, that looks great! Is the paint job really as good as it looks in the photo? If so, perhaps you could offer a few tips for us mortals?

Si
Si Goodchild is offline Find More Posts by Si Goodchild
Old Nov 29, 2010, 06:03 AM
Bristol UK
Joined Aug 2010
172 Posts
New Stock set up

Just thought this might shed some more light (or possibly not) on the 'stock set up' query.

I sent the below email to a few (UK) model shops , got one reply which i've added below. (well done rcmodel center)

Seems all is as before, maybe the 70mm was a packaging mistake, any one else found out any more on this?

'I've read on several forums that the EF16 is currently being shipped with a 70mm fan as opposed to the old 55mm units, however this isn't mentioned on either the box or the Phase 3 website.

I was just wondering if this was true, it seems that the fan unit comes with either a 4cell (3400kv) or 3 cell (3800kv) motor, but still the 30amp esc.

I'm looking to buy one of these kits from you but would like to know if I need to specify which version I would like, ie: 4 cell or 3 cell.

Kind regards

Tim Wood

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This email was sent from http://www.rcmodelcentre.co.uk

Hi Tim,

Havent been told anything about this and havent got any different versions instock, so i think its just a rumor.

Warm Regards
Mike
'
tim.fuggdesign is offline Find More Posts by tim.fuggdesign
Old Nov 29, 2010, 08:46 AM
life is an oyster. shuck it!
bennington, VT
Joined Mar 2008
3,180 Posts
jesus those people are aggravating. it's not a friggin rumor lol. it's confirmed, some people did receive the 70mm fan.
istandalone is offline Find More Posts by istandalone
Last edited by istandalone; Nov 29, 2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 09:17 AM
Once-ler
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Jul 2008
535 Posts
Fyi

I flew the squall this weekend on the 4s setup with the 70mm and it was pretty good! I would say ur are safe on the 4s motor w/ the 3s esc...barely pulls 30 amps wot static. Just a question if the esc can take 15 volts...

I'd even say the 3s motor could take 4s with the 4s esc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone View Post
jesus those people are aggravating. it's not a friggin rumor lol. it's confirmed, some people did receive the 740m fan.
jmrust is offline Find More Posts by jmrust
Old Nov 29, 2010, 12:37 PM
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2009
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim.fuggdesign View Post
Just thought this might shed some more light (or possibly not) on the 'stock set up' query.

I sent the below email to a few (UK) model shops , got one reply which i've added below. (well done rcmodel center)

Seems all is as before, maybe the 70mm was a packaging mistake, any one else found out any more on this?

'I've read on several forums that the EF16 is currently being shipped with a 70mm fan as opposed to the old 55mm units, however this isn't mentioned on either the box or the Phase 3 website.

I was just wondering if this was true, it seems that the fan unit comes with either a 4cell (3400kv) or 3 cell (3800kv) motor, but still the 30amp esc.

I'm looking to buy one of these kits from you but would like to know if I need to specify which version I would like, ie: 4 cell or 3 cell.

Kind regards

Tim Wood

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This email was sent from http://www.rcmodelcentre.co.uk

Hi Tim,

Havent been told anything about this and havent got any different versions instock, so i think its just a rumor.

Warm Regards
Mike
'
Yes they are being shipped with 70mm fans. From what I've seen some are getting the 4S 3 blade fan, others (like myself) are getting 3S 5 blade fans.

I'm assuming my motor is just 3S since the fan is for the 3S.
blueapplepaste is offline Find More Posts by blueapplepaste
Old Nov 29, 2010, 08:24 PM
speedin n da weeds :)
USA, AZ, Glendale
Joined Feb 2008
595 Posts
Rust that's on the way BTW 8:30am my time.

I think they know a 70mm fan is what we all want/need in this plane -how many are on the 55mm versus 70mm???
sikky is offline Find More Posts by sikky
Old Nov 30, 2010, 03:39 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrust View Post
Just a question if the esc can take 15 volts...

I'd even say the 3s motor could take 4s with the 4s esc.
Mine came with the 4s motor, and 3 bladed fan. It only pulled 21.5 amps on 3 cells. But I'm at about 5700 feet altitude. I did bench run it on 4 cells, stopped advancing throttle when it got to 30 amps. Sounded nice, stock 30 amp esc got warm after a couple minutes throttled at about 20 amps. Been told the esc would burn up at 30 amps on 3 cells, and not last on 4. So thinking about upgrading the esc, since from the bench test it should really move along on 4 cells.
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Nov 30, 2010, 06:41 AM
Norway, Vestfold, Sandefjord
Joined Oct 2010
51 Posts
Mine came with 4s motor, and 5 bladed fan. Tested it with 2,65 nanotech`s 35C 4s from HC and got 720 watt at 48 amp. Running Het 55 amp regulator
WF Pilot is offline Find More Posts by WF Pilot