HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:28 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,630 Posts
More mods and pics.

All these pics have mods that you can pick and choose for your specific application.
I hope they help you guys enjoy your F-16 more.
If you'd like to see more mods done by others, this is a good start point. Go to "thread tools" and and pick "show attachments"
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...pgrad&page=114

The first and second HP F-16 Top Speed contest threads have some good info as well, for the "go fast" guys.

Also, Air Sally makes a fiberlgass nose cone, tail cone, inlet ring and inlet duct for this jet. The nose cone is the second best thing you can do for this jet. just PM him.

The official top speed for the Phase 3 F-16 is 177mph. (level pass, no wind)

It would be great some folks start really pushing this bird again.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:29 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
What do you guys use to balance fan? I used ca but i dont think it balanced well. Already got fuesalage fg on so ill prolly just leave it, as its not terrible. Did some bench tests and fan didnt explode. Was only getting 750 watts at 60amps with a 3000kv and a 2200 4s 40c. I was expecting at least 1000 watts. What gives
stingeragents is offline Find More Posts by stingeragents
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:37 PM
Something Something RC
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Nov 2010
122 Posts
I don't use the forums to get into business with anyone. You cannot control mail and NY is a mess with the hurricane that just ran through it. I am learning how to fiberglass, and that is the whole purpose of this build.

Just finished the interior of the main fuselage and I am getting much better with the z-Poxy. I am using silk instead of fiberglass to keep the weight down and I'm happy with the results. These forums and the people that contribute have been a huge help.

Rob
rlc2052 is offline Find More Posts by rlc2052
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:11 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlc2052 View Post
I don't use the forums to get into business with anyone. You cannot control mail and NY is a mess with the hurricane that just ran through it. I am learning how to fiberglass, and that is the whole purpose of this build.

Just finished the interior of the main fuselage and I am getting much better with the z-Poxy. I am using silk instead of fiberglass to keep the weight down and I'm happy with the results. These forums and the people that contribute have been a huge help.

Rob
Z-poxy is great stuff. It's what I now do all my glassing with. The first time I glassed, It was siggested in the first upgrades thread to use WBPU to glass with instead of epoxy. This makes it easier to sand after ward. It's quick and easy and the middle ground between plain WBPU, and full glassing with finishing resin (Z-pozy).
Some folks like to thin the Z-poxy with denatured alcohol.
Bondo glazing putty works for filling the weave afterward, but be careful, as it will eat any exposed foam.
Ultra lightweight Spackle thinned waaay down with water works good.

The BD-5 is glassed with Z-Poxy and filled with Bondo glazing putty, and Duplicolor high build primer.
Site Sponsor
Last edited by efflux RC; Nov 21, 2012 at 08:38 PM. Reason: added text
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:13 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingeragents View Post
What do you guys use to balance fan? I used ca but i dont think it balanced well. Already got fuesalage fg on so ill prolly just leave it, as its not terrible. Did some bench tests and fan didnt explode. Was only getting 750 watts at 60amps with a 3000kv and a 2200 4s 40c. I was expecting at least 1000 watts. What gives
I use a bit of earthquake hold putty or polymer modeling clay, placed inside the rotor hub, where it needs to be. Then lock it in place with a very thin layer of 5 min epoxy.

That sounds about right. A bit high actually for 3000KV.
You need about a 3700kv motor on 4s for 1000-1100W
Site Sponsor
Last edited by efflux RC; Nov 21, 2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:20 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Ok cool. It seemed pretty good balanced statically. Not sure though why im only getting in the 700 watt range
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:26 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,630 Posts
Quote:
Working on plane for about 5 hours now and still not done. Ugh
Take your time.
I've spent 2 months on some of them. (yes I work slow )
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:09 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Ugh. Well the low watts was bugging me so i cut thw bottom to get at the fan. Switched out rotor for my other cs rotor which i know is balanced better. Same result. 780 watts at 60 amps. I was looking through the cs test results thread and the 3000 kv motors on there where all putting out 1000 watts or greater on 4s. The motor im using is the dynam 3000kv that comes with the 70mm combo from hobbypartz. That setup with the normal 5 or 6 blade fan does 700 watts, so why is my 10 blade only doing 700 watts.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:12 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,764 Posts
Quote:
too small of a batt and not enough kv on my F-16 way back i di my glassing with the yellowish tite bond glue thinned with water...worked pretty good but you could'nt wet sand it .i then primed it with water based Kylon H2O primer ,it was really smooth ...when it was newgood mods shown there Gary ...i think that just about covers it gary you should build another with fixed gear for just getting flying time and such.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:22 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Is my battery the weak point? For 4s what size do i need? I have a 5s 3000 but that will obviously give me a higher wattage. Wish i had a larger 4s to compare to but 2200 is biggest i got.

Edit. More testing.
4s 40c 2200 mah. 780 watts @ 60 amps
4s 20c 1000mah. 500 watts at 50 amps.
5s 20c 3000mah. 1400 watts @85 amps.
Last edited by stingeragents; Nov 21, 2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:41 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,630 Posts
You'd be much better off with a 2500-2600mAh , 25C+ lipo.

This EDF calculator is a great tool for comparing one setup to another.

http://www.ecalc.ch/fancalc_e.htm?ecalc
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:51 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
It seems the capacity is bettery than the c rating. My 4s 40c 2200 should be good to 88 amps but its topping at 60. Whereas my 5s 20c 3000 should be goof to 66 is topping at 85. Hmmmm. Makes no sense
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:00 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,630 Posts
This free app will generate a flat pattern for making thrust tubes.

www.pulserate.com

You need to add 1/4" to the long, straight side, and the large curved (EDF) side. for overlap when taping together, and overlap when taping onto the EDF.
The 1/4" must be added with a sharpie pen AFTER you print it and tape the flat pattern printed pages together. (the F-16 tube May print on one page, I forget)

The standard outlet dia for a Wemo or HET 70mm EDF is about 85%FSA for the best comprimise of static thrust and efflux velocity. Most most folks use a 2.2 dia outlet (a bit less)
Do some searching for thrust tubes and efflux velocity. A smaller outlet will result in higher top speeds. but will decrease your static thrust and increase your amp draw at the same.

.005" thick "Mylar" (Acetate film) is the best material to make thrust tubes for jets up 100mm EDFs.
Tape it together, and to the fan with "Scotch" SHINEY cellophane tape.
I have put two spirol wraps of 1/2" wide strapping tape on some, but it's not really necessary, even for 4KW.
Site Sponsor
Last edited by efflux RC; Nov 21, 2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:14 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
I actually decided to not run a thrust tube on this plane. I got the end of the plane to the correct outlet diamter for the cs fan (61mm) . I wanted to let the outflow have some turbulence in it to make a better whoosing sound with this fan. Originally I did have a thrust tube on but it wouldn't fit with the belly closed up all the way. I ended up not being able to get the belly to close all the way anyways, so there was a bit of a gap in the rear which I just filled with some spackle and fiberglassed over. Luckily it was the exact exit dimension I needed. Think I'm gonna have to order some more 4s batts in a larger size. I just can't believe going from a 4s 2200 to a 5s 3000 DOUBLED the watts. Insane. I have an 80 amp esc on there so I'm not worried on about the speed control going if I was to use 5s, but I don't think that motor will stand up to 85 amps for very long. Usually I fly at about half throttle with very little WOT bursts. Im gonna check again tomorrow to see at what throttle point the amps get over 60. I think if I keep my wot runs very short and keep it at around 1/2 throttle the rest of the time I can get away with using the 5s. I am so glad I finally got a watt meter.

Edit: Oh and for efflux, do you airbrush your planes? I have an airbrush that has been sitting for over a year. It sprays water fine, but it is not spraying paint good at all. I soaked the thing in hot soapy water for 2 hours and no change. Took it all apart and sitting in a bowl of nail polish remover for the last 5 hours or so. I'm assuming the tip has some dried paint in it or something. I want to replicate your tiger paint job but with different colors, but will have no luck unless I can get this stupid airbrush unclogged. May end up having to just buy a new one.

I originally got on the CS fan for the better sound. As of yet, the scratch built planes with it have sounded nowhere close to how cool it sounds in a lot of the youtube vids. Most weren't with scratch builds. If it doesn't sound good with this plane, I'm probably just not going to buy anymore and will go with het or wemo.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:27 PM
United States, CO, Keystone
Joined Feb 2011
69 Posts
Quote" Oh and for efflux, do you airbrush your planes? I have an airbrush that has been sitting for over a year. It sprays water fine, but it is not spraying paint good at all. I soaked the thing in hot soapy water for 2 hours and no change. Took it all apart and sitting in a bowl of nail polish remover for the last 5 hours or so. I'm assuming the tip has some dried paint in it or something. I want to replicate your tiger paint job but with different colors, but will have no luck unless I can get this stupid airbrush unclogged. May end up having to just buy a new one."

I had the same problem with my airbrush, a cheap De Vilbis. Ended up painting the black stripes with a brush, but it still turned out looking really good. Should have my new dual action, gravity feed airbrush Friday!!!
smccrory60 is offline Find More Posts by smccrory60