HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:39 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_VTOL_mech View Post
Gary
But yours still ain't as pretty as mine!
They never are! That jet rocks with the HET6904/2W-20. Good light weight setup.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:50 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc View Post
What type/size/brand of wheel bushing did you use?
It looks like carbon fiber rods have been installed in the first two pics?
The bushing was just something I found in my spare parts bin. I may have drilled it out to fit.
You could use something similar to the small bushing that comes with some wheels. These are our MPI wheels.

There are 2 carbon bars in each pylon. 1 for vertical rigidity, and 1 for horizontal.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:03 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,762 Posts
I still think the 1mm lite ply is the neatest way to mod the tail, the stock brass bush is supported by the ply at both ends and epoxied into the foam as well making for a very stiff boom. Glassing over the top of this makes it even stronger.

Here is a 3W15/6904 setup I was playing round with in 2008 running 5s which is a bit much for this little motor, still did 130mph with no thrust tube, likely the lower tech of the batteries back then saved the motor from smoking
ERC F16 from EXTREME RADIO CONTROL (1 min 34 sec)

Here is the 2W20/6904 setup back early in 2008:
Extreme RC F16 with HET fan & 2W20 motor (1 min 34 sec)
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:14 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingeragents View Post
Thanks for the pics,that helps. Efflux, did you ever get that 2nd one you did flying? The buult for speed one. I saw it crashed again and thread is now dead. Main thing i like about the cs fan like everyone else i guess is sound. I have no radar gun or anything. Think ill get the cp 2500 kv so i can run it up to 5s if 4s doesnt get me where i want. I also have a detrum combo that can go up to 5s. Just gonna have to make a hatch so the fan is easy to remove
I've been busy with demo jets, so my "fun' stuff gets neglected.
There's a bit of play in the taileron linkages, so I need to make some better ones. Other than that the jet is not as pretty as when new, but just waiting to fly again. I also have a high powered Squall that's been sitting around for soo long, I almost gave it to someone. (but I didn't )
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:24 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,929 Posts
I've been doing this since spring of '08 as well. ( see the 1st HP F-16 upgrades and the speed contest thread.)
173 mph Phase 3, F 16 (0 min 44 sec)
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:53 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,762 Posts
LOL I didnt get a real video camera till early 2008, was flying the F16 in 2007 though

Oh and back in 2006 we all used to post videos up directly to this site, not much youtube going on back then.
Last edited by Extreme_RC; Nov 14, 2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:11 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Well just got a CS fan ordered. I also went ahead and ordered another detrum 70mm combo. I'm planning to switch out the motor into the CS fan and just run it on 4s. That motor is good up to 5s so I think it will be fine with the additional blades keeping it on 4s. I don't do a lot of WOT runs. I also FINALLY after like 6 years of scratch building electrics ordered a watt meter. I was close to pulling the trigger on the cp motor but for the same price i got a fan motor esc and 4 servos, so it just made sense to me. Also FINALLY ordered a magnetic balancer and a bunch of heat shrink so i can quit using electrical tape as a substitute. Will be interested to see how much power some of my systems are putting out
stingeragents is offline Find More Posts by stingeragents
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:34 PM
"Every boy has a dream to fly"
Fort Collins Colorado
Joined Sep 2009
510 Posts
efflux.. out of those 4 which one do you like best personally?
Airplanekid333 is offline Find More Posts by Airplanekid333
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:16 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airplanekid333 View Post
efflux.. out of those 4 which one do you like best personally?
They all have thier best points. It depends on what your looking for. The Mach EDF will provide more power than I've given it. (~2600W) while sounding the best. It draws more amps than the others because of this. It's also expensive. (My Viper does 140 with it.)
The HET is said to provide the most thrust of the plastic EDF's, (but some say otherwise) at a few amps more than the Wemotec. The Wemotec rotor is the easiest to balance (dynamically) and get running smoothly. We sell lots of these. ( Never lost a rotor)
I haven't used the WM400mkII in a while, but the one we installed in a 4 1/2 lb SAPAC L-39 pushes it along at 115mph on 5s with 3200kvmotor.

Regarding the 10 blades plastic fans. Well they sound nice, but after you buy a new shaft adapter, spinner, and spend days getting it to run, it will still only take 46k rpm before it grenades.
The Shubie DS-30 is another high powered (Carbon fiber) EDF. but due to the 3 bladed design, folks are not buying them as much, as they have a very harsh sound. (same as the WM400) Folks looking for speed really don't care though. They are special order only now.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:31 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
LOL I didnt get a real video camera till early 2008, was flying the F16 in 2007 though

Oh and back in 2006 we all used to post videos up directly to this site, not much youtube going on back then.
Whateeeever floats your boat.
YOU WIN !
T's not here for you to poke?...no need to follow me around. I'm not your daddy.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:57 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,762 Posts
You like to smack talk, so whats wrong with a little friendly banter
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:12 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Those all metal fans you sell look sweet. One day when i win the lotto ill order one. Unless u wanna hook a fellow rcgrouper up
stingeragents is offline Find More Posts by stingeragents
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:15 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post
The HET is said to provide the most thrust of the plastic EDF's, (but some say otherwise) at a few amps more than the Wemotec. The Wemotec rotor is the easiest to balance (dynamically) and get running smoothly. We sell lots of these. ( Never lost a rotor)
I haven't used the WM400mkII in a while, but the one we installed in a 4 1/2 lb SAPAC L-39 pushes it along at 115mph on 5s with 3200kvmotor.
Regarding the 10 blades plastic fans. Well they sound nice, but after you buy a new shaft adapter, spinner, and spend days getting it to run, it will still only take 46k rpm before it grenades.
Actually the HET is only more pitchy, not a better fan, the wemo is still my choice of the plastic fans, HET at 750W 125mph vs Wemo at 790W 135-138mph, same model, same thrust tube. The wattage difference is minimal. The WM400 pulls a lot more amps than the wemo to produce the same thrust and efflux from what I have seen in the test videos.

As for the CS10 fan, nothing wrong with that one and considering it produces 2.3kg (5+lb) of thrust at just under 41K rpm I dont think there is much of an issue with claimed RPM limits. It is also the best sounding of the lot, no metallic ringing or whine, just a nice woosh sound, as can be seen here:

Extreme RC F-16 with 10 blades Changesun rotor (2 min 22 sec)
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:50 PM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,659 Posts
i need to finish my f-16. ive got it about half finished. its been pushed to the side for other projects. ive since filled all the grooves and dents with lightweight spackle & sanded. next, ill glass it with wbpu & cloth. ive got the HET 2-20 and 6904 ready to install. ive also got the CS-10 to try out later
gchrisgo34 is offline Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:56 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,762 Posts
Just dont use the CS10 with the 2W20 when time comes to swap, ok for 3s only, better with a longer can lower Kv motor.