HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Herb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 09:49 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Vengame I am in Orsay (Paris, France), where are you?

Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Last edited by Herb; Sep 10, 2011 at 06:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2011, 03:45 AM
Joined May 2011
13 Posts
Battery and cockit installation

Hi Herb,
I am in the final throws of getting my T-45 ready. I am now working on the cockpit installation and was wondering what the general concensious was on item location. There has been much discussion on Fans, Batterys ESC etc but not about the layout. I will try and upload some pictures later but my current plan is 2 3S packs either side of the tray, ESC is between the intakes just above the wing and receiver mounted on the fuselage side or under the battery tray to keep things neat.

If anyone else wishes to comment then please do, great minds think alike and fools seldom differ.
Marvinrobot1510 is offline Find More Posts by Marvinrobot1510
Old Sep 05, 2011, 02:59 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
You mean the standard cockpit that comes with it, or the HC "upgrade" ?

The latter weighs a ton and takes up a lot of space, on mine the batt would not fit with the HC cockpit.

It is crowded already as it is with the cockpit tub that comes with the T-45.

Last edited by Herb; Sep 05, 2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old Sep 06, 2011, 12:27 PM
Joined Aug 2011
44 Posts
HERB i am from BORDEAUX in FRANCE
vengame is offline Find More Posts by vengame
Old Sep 10, 2011, 08:00 AM
Joined May 2009
475 Posts
Dear Herb,

I am also building this beautiful plane, hope to finish as beautiful as yours. Unfortunately I am in the middle of the thread, too long to complete quickly, cos I am also taking some notes...

Anyway, my SM89-45 almost arrive with HET 700-68 1200 KV motor. I was planning to place and order for CC Ice 120 HV but they are still under revision probably. In one way I am lucky cos I will receive Ice2 at the end.

But for now I have to order the batteries and I need your help, you flew with 8S 3000 40C, and I was also planning to fly with 8S or 9S. What do you recommends 8S or 9S and most importantly the capacity. Do you think for SM89-45 / HET 700-68-1200Kv, 8S or 9S 3000mah is enough or can go for higher capacity batteries?

Ozgur
ozgur is offline Find More Posts by ozgur
Old Sep 14, 2011, 02:52 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
I think that fan is way too heavy for the T-45 !

The T-45 airframe (fuselage) is already heavy to start with, so you need to pick very lightweight components - otherwise you will end up with a flying brick.

I suggest you look at a lightweight fan setup like WeMoTec Midifan, DS-51, Change Sun, Het 90mm fan etc. You can always use the heavier fan in a bigger model that requires 3k+ watts...

8S 3000 or 9S 3000 sounds fine, but again lighter is better ... if you want to fly longer then get a second pack

I don't own any CC controller so I don't have any experience with them.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 03:25 AM
Joined May 2009
475 Posts
Dear Herb,

Thank you very much for your help. At the moment I am building two planes together. CMP T-45 and Prodesign F-18 and both seems quite heavy air-frames. I bought ChangeSun 90mm fan/motor combo (1900kv) for F-18 and planning to run with 6S (probably I will get 1600 to 1800 Watts and 75-80A).

For T-45 I decided to go for SM89-45. Stu, advised me the HET 700-68-1200Kv for 8S and up to 9S and I was also thinking to get a good performance and sound. Now I totally confuse and disappointed a little bit. I was thinking that T-45 has good glide characteristics. I don't know what else I can do cos I spend a lot and my wife will going to kill me if I go for another fan/motor setup.

Actually those Austrian guys E-Jet now selling JetFan90 but they are not shipping to Russia.

So I am thinking what else I can do to keep the plane lighter. OK, not using flaps, stock air retracts instead of e-flight 15-25 electric ones, maybe no rudder also, instead of stock scale struts I will go with piano wires, no drop tank, tail hook and pilots.

2000mAh 4.8V eneloop (108gr), maybe instead of it I can go with 1100mAh 6.6V Life (64gr)

Ozgur
Old Sep 14, 2011, 05:01 AM
Guarantee at least one landing
Australia, QLD, Mooloolaba
Joined Aug 2007
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgur View Post
Dear Herb,

Thank you very much for your help. At the moment I am building two planes together. CMP T-45 and Prodesign F-18 and both seems quite heavy air-frames. I bought ChangeSun 90mm fan/motor combo (1900kv) for F-18 and planning to run with 6S (probably I will get 1600 to 1800 Watts and 75-80A).

For T-45 I decided to go for SM89-45. Stu, advised me the HET 700-68-1200Kv for 8S and up to 9S and I was also thinking to get a good performance and sound. Now I totally confuse and disappointed a little bit. I was thinking that T-45 has good glide characteristics. I don't know what else I can do cos I spend a lot and my wife will going to kill me if I go for another fan/motor setup.

Actually those Austrian guys E-Jet now selling JetFan90 but they are not shipping to Russia.

So I am thinking what else I can do to keep the plane lighter. OK, not using flaps, stock air retracts instead of e-flight 15-25 electric ones, maybe no rudder also, instead of stock scale struts I will go with piano wires, no drop tank, tail hook and pilots.

2000mAh 4.8V eneloop (108gr), maybe instead of it I can go with 1100mAh 6.6V Life (64gr)

Ozgur
Hello Ozgur,

I would be very interested in hearing how this pans out.

I'm wanting to fit an SM89-45 into an airframe and was looking at this T-45 as a possibility. I would have thought that the weight wouldn't be an issue as the SM has the potential to create allot of thrust. I was planning on going with the 1400kv Typhoon on 6S (1400watts) or 8S (2990 watts) depending on weight and/or size of the battery comparment.

Funnily I was also looking at the Pro-Design F-18 and using the same config as above.

And like yourself, would have a very angry wife if my decision to spend more money on this hobby wasn't of sound judgement.

Hope everything works out for you.

Burdo
Burdo is offline Find More Posts by Burdo
Last edited by Burdo; Sep 14, 2011 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Added more details
Old Sep 16, 2011, 01:16 AM
edf flyer
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Feb 2009
1,179 Posts
Canopy mod

Corsair,
Can you tell me how u did your canopy mod. I like how you cut it. My question is how do you secure it. With tape. I'm planning on doing the same. Any info would be helpful

Manny
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
heres some pics of mine, still need to finish the cockpit, and some small detailing. some shots showing some mods, like the stab servo location, vg's and stab fences.

also, my maiden report....and a shot of my jhh kfir(needs lots of detail work) 12 lbs..12s 6000...cutom 105mm turbax...about 150-155 mph on a little over 4kw

man, i had a awesome day with the T45!!!!!!! i LOVE this model. its exactly what i was looking for, a nice looking, semi scale model, docile, and fun to fly, and not a flying brick. its all the above! bmiller was there, he was kind enough to lend me his retacts so i could fly it. i think i flew 6 times. loved every one!

first let me tell the setup...
MIDI pro, neu 1415 1.5Y, CC85hv, turnigy 8s 5000.
weight, 8.5lbs
1/8" washout added to ailerons
full 40deg of flap
HK514 retracts, HK trailing link struts, modded JHH sabre main strut for nose strut
hs85's on flaps, 82's on elev, hs...somethin....slim servo for rudder, hs 85 for steering, HXT900's for ailerons
i added VG's to top of wing according to marks in the civering, though i reduced the angle somewhat
wheels/main gear doors stick out a touch
no nose gear doors at all yet (thats a big hole up there!)
CG at 100mm (still feels a tiny bit nose heavy to me)

TAKEOFF: only took about 200ft (if that) using 25deg of flap, model rotates REALLY nice, and climbs at a great angle, just hold a little back pressure, and the model rotates nice and smooth, just like a real one would.
FLYING: SMOOOOOTH...ailerons are nice and crisp, rolls are fairly axial, vertical and loops are pretty dang big...which is good! top speed i would get to be in the 120-125mph range, i might note that im using a really big tail pipe....about 2.9". too big, its taking 65-70% power to maintain a good cruise. but it accelerates from low speeds very well, i can climb at 45 deg angle after touch and go or go around with flaps hanging out. this is a draggy model....coming from a dead vertical power off dive, pulling out at the end of the runway, by mid runway...im feeling the need to add power again...drops speed VERY fast....one draggy mofo! i felt like i had to push on the stick just a bit on the flat, high speed passes, and hold just a little up at low speed. transition to flaps results in no trim change.
LANDING: no brainer! drop gear and full flap on down wind leg, at aprox 200ft, reduce power to 1/2 on dropping turn, line up with runway, 50 ft off end of runway, cut power, and let it slow as it drops to the runway, flare (almost full up just before touchdown) touches down nose high, no sign of tip stall during aproach, or flare. touch and goes are cool, cause if you get back on the power soon enough, the nose stays off the ground while the model rides the mains, then it lifts off and starts climbing out.

changes....going to add nose gear doors, should clean it up a little, and im going to drop down to a 2.75" pipe, has worked great before on other models, and i think it will allow me to cruise at lower power settings. should push top speed to 130 or so.

flight times were 4.5-5 min, the most i put back after any flight was 3300mah, most of the flights were at 2800-3000 mah. not bad. 5 min is great with plenty of pack for a couple go arounds if needed.

all in all, i love it....bruce has some pics he needs to post

bottom line....if your on the fence about buying one...hop on over....the grass IS greener on this side!

WTG CMP.

edit: forgot to mention i used beefier pushrods...
Mannyman535 is online now Find More Posts by Mannyman535
Old Sep 18, 2011, 12:26 AM
I'll fly anything...
United States, CA, Palm Springs
Joined Aug 2001
502 Posts
Fan/Motor question

Does anyone have any idea how this model would behave with the E-flite Delta-V32 fan and BL32 DF motor? It's only an 80mm fan but it seems to push the Habu32 around the sky pretty well.

The E-flite fan and motor are both pretty inexpensive .... should that fact scare someone or is it just a factor of mass production?

Thanks
GlasairAllen is offline Find More Posts by GlasairAllen
Old Sep 18, 2011, 02:36 PM
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,391 Posts
Hardly any progress, but today I installed the wing fences to prevent tip stalls and painted them. Made of fliteskin.

Also, just opened up the ChangeSun fan, to see that the impeller has some dents on it...
ysolomon is online now Find More Posts by ysolomon
Old Sep 18, 2011, 03:00 PM
Joined Aug 2007
444 Posts
Quote:
today I installed the wing fences to prevent tip stalls and painted them. Made of fliteskin.

Very Nice!

X30
X30PILOT is offline Find More Posts by X30PILOT
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:57 AM
edf flyer
Joined Feb 2009
1,179 Posts
Maiden

I maidened my third hawk today, first flight the esc went into thermo shut down. And it was brought down with no problems.
Second flight, same thing. Esc is the dlux turnigy 100a. Changesun motor and fan, 6s 5000 40-50c packs. I really don't know y it did that. I thought I had good cooling.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 01:00 AM
edf flyer
Joined Feb 2009
1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysolomon View Post
Hardly any progress, but today I installed the wing fences to prevent tip stalls and painted them. Made of fliteskin.

Also, just opened up the ChangeSun fan, to see that the impeller has some dents on it...
Could you give me some specs on the fences. Dimensions. And how far apart are they
Old Sep 19, 2011, 04:55 AM
Joined May 2009
475 Posts
Nice work Yoram,

Yes, its really good if you share the templates of fences.

Ozgur