HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Herb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 03:30 PM
Joined Feb 2004
227 Posts
Hi Keith,
This is one time I'm happy to be ript off for the UK prices, we can claim under our trading laws as being 'fit for purpose' if the instructions state do something and its followed exactly and that results in a problem they are liable. That said though if they were to accept liability just how many other Nitro planes do you think could have been affected and therefore how many claims, simple dont accept liability for anything.
Would be interesting to see if the Jamara plane has the same cog stated?
Eddie-extra is offline Find More Posts by Eddie-extra
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2011, 03:32 PM
Joined Feb 2004
227 Posts
Herb,
I do have some wing fences fitted as per my other hawks and your pic' and I was about to programme in a little washout at full flap. However with a few more flights I will get a better feel for this plane.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 03:39 PM
Keith Thomas
United States, NM, Portales
Joined Feb 2010
1,132 Posts
Hi Eddie,

I see your point and get it. I would have a better idea of what I was selling than they do, then again maybe they have to many to test. You know if they would have said we can give you 10 off it would have been fine with me. I guess I was looking for a gesture, oh well.

You know I deal with Horizon quite a bit and they have really spoiled me as a dealer (past) and an end user. If their equipment fails they have helped me in the past. If they could bring some of their prices down it would be nice.....it would also be nice if I had my hair back......probably should try for the hair thing..............

I not going to say I won't do busy with Nitro, never say never, but they are on the bottom of my list.

I think I'll wait and get one from HK.
keithtsr is online now Find More Posts by keithtsr
Old Jul 11, 2011, 04:09 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithtsr View Post
[...] In the end of it all. A crash is a crash. I am sorry. I cannot do anything about this situation especially regarding a CG issue. [...]
Fascinating ...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=183
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Old Jul 11, 2011, 04:17 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie-extra View Post
Hi Herb, A big thanks you for the heads up on the cog, I finally managed a maiden on Sunday and the best news was that I got it back in one piece [...] Many Thanks
Old Jul 11, 2011, 04:22 PM
Joined Feb 2004
227 Posts
Hi herb will post video as soon as I get it, my video guy was complaining of not being able to see the viewfinder very well because of the sun. Not usually a complaint here in the UK
Old Jul 11, 2011, 04:26 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Old Jul 11, 2011, 04:57 PM
Joined May 2009
475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithtsr View Post

I think I'll wait and get one from HK.
Thanks god that Nitro is not shipping to Russia. I advise you to knock the X-Flight, they don't advertise the plane on their website but they give you price if you mail them. ($ 149 plane only) Also they have a chance to sell the oleo struts and air retracts...

Maybe referring wrong CG in their manuals is their business strategy. More user caused crashed planes means, more money...

Ozgur
ozgur is offline Find More Posts by ozgur
Last edited by ozgur; Jul 11, 2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 05:01 PM
Keith Thomas
United States, NM, Portales
Joined Feb 2010
1,132 Posts
I wished I would have stumbled on to Herb's thread before the test flight. In the end I should have known better.

KT
keithtsr is online now Find More Posts by keithtsr
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:34 AM
Mexico, BC, Mexicali
Joined Aug 2004
5,279 Posts
A friend brought me half-built model to finish it.

The EDF is a 90mm RClander.

Someone can give me an idea of how to adapt the inlet duct.

Manuel V.
manuel v is offline Find More Posts by manuel v
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:59 AM
Joined Feb 2004
227 Posts
Hi did a little digging re; cog the Jamara model which looks identical, acording to their technical support is as follows,

Take the tip of the nose, move 280mm out (right angle) and draw a horizontal line to the wing. Once you come to the wing, take that as leading edge from the wing and the CG should be approx 60-65mm from there. 28-30%.

Sorry, I can only send you the manual if you can forward a receipt and I guess it is not a Jamara model? Therefore I can not send the manual.

they were very quick to respond to my enquiry and reading the nitro planes version it is exactly the same, I belive from a German build thread they are flying at 115mm back approk from leading edge at wing centre. The way this is drawn suggests that it is a calculated measurement rather than what we all now know through practicle experience is correct.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:26 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Yes the guys at Jamara are just re-gurgitating the cmp instructions, without any experience of their own.

A rearward CG on the Hawk will bite you - it is only a matter of time. This is my fourth Hawk, they all need some cautious care in the choice of CG.

Same is true of the large turbines one (eg. CArf Hawk), you move the CG too far back on the Hawk and you end up landing upside down .

As I said above and in the CG post, mine flies with a CG at ca. 105mm with gear down and with the elevators level (in fact both a tiny bit down), and knife edges with little corrections.

I would be hesitant to go back further too much, and certainly not all the way back to that science fiction CG they have in the instructions

Incidentally, the mains are clearly too far back behind the CG, and this could be a related problem. It makes the takeoff more bouncy than necessary - and a bit harder to rotate.

T-45 Goshawk (BAe Hawk) by CMP 90mm EDF (2 min 50 sec)

Last edited by Herb; Jul 14, 2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:37 AM
Joined Feb 2004
227 Posts
Hi Herb,

Video on line shortly, If he wasnt a mate the guy doing the video would have been sacked
I guess he nearly gets all the tekoff rollout and the two practice landings and then the final touch down the rest of the time he is chasing the mdel around the sky with to much zoom. A couple more hours should see it online and edited (most of the boring stuff removed ) I am very happy with the sound of the Jepe modified wemo rotor though.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:45 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Happens all the time, edfs are not easy to video. I have a hard time myself - and have been doing it for years .

I had nice friends do the video, and out came a takeoff, a landing, blue skies, and some swooshy sounds in between
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:27 PM
Joined Feb 2004
227 Posts
I got him to do my MB-339 as well he did a lot better job with that one he got the take off a fair ammount of the inflight and the landing but the best bit is the sound which you will hear later