Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Herb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 15, 2011, 05:45 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,159 Posts
pics

Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2011, 07:03 AM
TJK
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined Feb 2001
121 Posts
What happened to the C-17 in the background of the picture of the yellow and black BVM Electra?
TJK is offline Find More Posts by TJK
Old May 16, 2011, 11:14 PM
SoCal, Year Round Flying!
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Those struts are for Hawk #2???
A little update for you, T-33 will fly again. Got parts for it(& another battery) so you can fly it saturday.
ALSO got their MiG-15 and F-35.
maidened the mig today...nice looking and decent flyer but comparatively porky so it's slower than the T-33. Will tweak a couple things on it. Ricky got their L-39, that one hauls butt!
bmiller is offline Find More Posts by bmiller
Old May 20, 2011, 02:42 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,159 Posts
... not sure what happened to that C-17, tried to take off, stalled and went in. Underpowered, tail heavy, cross wind, or all of the above ? Perhaps an easy fix with some blue foam and paint, flew well a few weekends ago.

Bruce, the struts would go in the old T-45 Goshawk, but the problem is that small nosewheel is not well suited for Fairview ... So either I keep the big foam wheels as they are and fly it at F. , or I change the struts and set it up for Prado ??

A kid had that T-33 at Prado and it flew well, his dad threw it
Old May 22, 2011, 06:34 PM
USA, OH, Beavercreek
Joined Sep 2003
84 Posts
Herb; How much work does it look like it will take to fit the RC Lander CMP T-45 struts to the wing cutouts?
RAMFlyer is offline Find More Posts by RAMFlyer
Old May 22, 2011, 07:14 PM
Foam Is Where The Heart Is.
Austin, Tx
Joined Feb 2009
668 Posts
Herb, I got the 3300 4s packs and I was wondering what a good round flight time for those packs would be with good throttle management.
homiefoamie is offline Find More Posts by homiefoamie
Old May 22, 2011, 07:44 PM
edf flyer
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Feb 2009
1,144 Posts
Had a wonderful take off and a great flight, until i realized i forgot to set my timer and the plane went in. but i flew great. I will buy another one..
Mannyman535 is offline Find More Posts by Mannyman535
Old May 23, 2011, 04:49 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMFlyer View Post
Herb; How much work does it look like it will take to fit the RC Lander CMP T-45 struts to the wing cutouts?
I think the struts fit just fine, the RCL retract units themselves I don't know (I don't have those) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by homiefoamie View Post
Herb, I got the 3300 4s packs and I was wondering what a good round flight time for those packs would be with good throttle management.
Well let's say 2000W / (8 *3.5V) = 71 A, thus t = (2x) 3.3Ah *60 min / 71A = 5.6 mins at half throttle ... or 2.8 min if you floor it all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannyman535 View Post
Had a wonderful take off and a great flight, until i realized i forgot to set my timer and the plane went in. but i flew great. I will buy another one..
Ouch sorry to hear that ... yes the T-45 glides like a brick . These days I prefer to listen to the fan/motor sound more than relying on a timer.

Last edited by Herb; May 23, 2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old May 23, 2011, 05:01 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,159 Posts
The wing is built pretty straight, hardly any trim is needed (can't really tell from the picture).

Trimmed for level flight the elevators are close to level, or even a bit down, with the CG I calculated / use at around 105mm (the factory CG is wrong) :

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=287

Last edited by Herb; Jul 08, 2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old May 23, 2011, 05:10 PM
Joined May 2011
13 Posts
Newby to forum but not models

Hi All, I have been following this thread and have gained loads of useful info on the parts to get and power set ups.

I nearly have all the bits now and will post some pictures as I build, not that there is a lot to build in this kit.

Set up so far,

RClander 90mm fan and matched motor, with 120 amp SC.
2x 3S 4400 60C batteries
RClander retracts with legs.

My plan so far is to mount the speed controller with the cooling fins mounted in the ducting. My question to those with more experience is:

-Is it better to have longer motor wires or longer battery wires? Any comments or advice accepted. I will be using 2.4 not 35 mhz so interference should not be a problem.

-Looking at the control rods and how thin they are, has anyone had a problem with them in flight? Having flown turbines they just seem too thin!!

Im looking forward to getting my T-45 in the air.
Marvinrobot1510 is offline Find More Posts by Marvinrobot1510
Old May 23, 2011, 05:17 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,159 Posts
Hi Marvin, motor wires as long as you want (due to the motor's instrinsic high inductance), battery wires < 20cm usually (see ESC instructions).

Yes the linkages are worthless, esp. the aileron ones and possibly the flap ones.

You should look into putting thicker wire (even with a simple z-bend) and perhaps even thicker horns. I actually still have the kit horns, but with much stiffer rods.

The elevator wires are ok, but given the speed it can reach thicker piano wire might be a safer choice...

Rest sounds good .
Old May 24, 2011, 03:27 PM
Joined May 2011
13 Posts
Herb, can you show me some pictures of the control linkages?

Marv.
Old May 26, 2011, 05:57 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,159 Posts
Alu tubing or thin carbon rod doubler ... if you'r too lazy to entirely redo the linkages.

Old May 26, 2011, 06:06 PM
edf flyer
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Feb 2009
1,144 Posts
intake covers

Im looking for some intake covers. if anyone have a extra set they want to sell let me know
Mannyman535 is offline Find More Posts by Mannyman535
Old May 30, 2011, 03:18 AM
Joined May 2011
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
Alu tubing or thin carbon rod doubler ... if you'r too lazy to entirely redo the linkages.

herb, many thaks for the pictures. I think I am going to get rid of the supplied pushrods and go for something a little more sturdy.

Its a wet and naff day here in the UK, so out with the Hawk and on with the building.

Has anyone has the misfortune of braking the wing to know what the main spar is like?

The reason for asking is that all I can see inside the wing is balsa and I am going to put a fibreglass bandage around the wing joint.