HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Herb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:59 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markyx5 View Post
Hi all.

I have read this back to front and then again. there is so much usefull info im hoping my maiden will go smoothly.

I'm just struggling to choose a fan. I know herb you like the wemo's but not sure about the power i will be getting.

I have the het 700-68-1400 kv, ill be running two 4s 3700's, Turnigy K-Force 120a hv esc and i had originaly planned to use the CS 12 blade but now looking for an alternative.

What sort of watts should i expect from say the wemo midi or the het 9305 compared to the changesun? ( I have tried searching and using the fancalc but no luck understanding or finding the answer i'm after)

Again great thread and any help would be appreiciated.

Mark.
In this plane use a well balanced wemo or close, even with the intake ducting open on the CS12 you can't hear it...I'm paranoid so I have to hear my jet

Suppo 190 esc or Banana hobby 12s\100 amps esc and wemo with ARC 1680kv motor on 6 - 8s = tons of fun...
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:47 AM
Joined Aug 2012
3 Posts
great thanks for the replies.

Problem is I already have the 1400kv motor and dont really want to run more than 8s otherwise she'll be getting to heavy. so guess i'll be needing a new motor or stick with the CS. thanks for the advise.
markyx5 is offline Find More Posts by markyx5
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:16 AM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,190 Posts
Hi Guys,

I forgot to post this earlier.... but I found a nice servo for the elevators. (I also wanted to make sure they were going to work)

OK... I'm cheap, and I don't really trust any of the big "OEM's" any more. At one time... I was a Die-hard futaba guy... but since Great Planes got into them... I see most of the standard stuff is made in china. (and JR is the same way) Not to mention... after I lost a heli after the failure of a THIRD hitec servo... I stopped using them all together.

Anyway... for the past 3 years, I've been using servos from Power HD, and having very good luck with them. I own at least 40 servos from them right now... and I only had an issue with one. It wasn't dead... and wasn't bad... but it didn't seem to center as nice as it should. So I kept it as a parts servo.

Anyway... since I trust Power HD... I saw these little sub micro, digital, metal gear servos, and thought... "That may just be the thing to use."

The DSM-44 is light at only 5.5g... and powerful with a 22 in/oz torque. It's also very quick. (0.07 sec/60) And the best thing is.... it fits into the little elevator without using that bulky cover. I made my cover with a scrap of lexan and some white vinyl trim tape.

The only down side to them is since they are sub-micro's... the servo arm is very small and thin. SO... I had to get creative with the link. (There was no way I would use an ez connector on a turbine elevator) It's the factory push-rod, and clevis... but I bent it over, and use a micro dubro keeper.

Most of the Power HD servos can be bought from Value Hobby in the USA. (and they ship quick too)

Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Last edited by Dr Honda; Oct 03, 2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:02 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Hi all,

Yes I do like the Wemo because it is a well engineered solid reliable fan that has served me well for many years

But there are several other fans out there which are also very good, and don't cost a fortune.

Apart from the very high end DS and Aeronaut fans, my personal experience with the HET new 700 fan and with the CS 5-blade fan (a plastic copy of the Aeronaut one) has been very good.

Btw, my MiG-21 (see blog) uses a very good $19 100mm plastic fan
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:11 AM
edf flyer
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Feb 2009
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
Hi all,

Yes I do like the Wemo because it is a well engineered solid reliable fan that has served me well for many years

But there are several other fans out there which are also very good, and don't cost a fortune.

Apart from the very high end DS and Aeronaut fans, my personal experience with the HET new 700 fan and with the CS 5-blade fan (a plastic copy of the Aeronaut one) has been very good.

Btw, my MiG-21 (see blog) uses a very good $19 100mm plastic fan
Isn't the 700 series a39mm can. And the cs 5 Blade takes a 36mm can. I'm just wondering
Mannyman535 is online now Find More Posts by Mannyman535
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:21 AM
Joined Aug 2012
3 Posts

So would the 5 blade CS offer the same sort of power as the 12 blade, or is there less loading on that fan?
markyx5 is offline Find More Posts by markyx5
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:48 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Hi DrH those look like nice servos if they hold up.

Yes Manny you are right, one has to be careful about fan inner shroud diam and motor can diam.

The HET 700 motor series fits well the 90mm fans with a larger (ca. 39-40mm) opening, the HET 650 36mm diam motors are on the other hand perfect for fans with smaller openings (Wemotec Midifan pro etc).

http://shop.wemotec.com/index.php?a=180&lang=eng

http://shop.rc-electric-jets.com/Wem...IDIHET1500.htm

http://www.highendrc.com/index_ecat.php?cPath=53

There's certainly no lack of choices
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:55 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markyx5 View Post
So would the 5 blade CS offer the same sort of power as the 12 blade, or is there less loading on that fan?
Imo the CS 5-bl is a better choice because a) it does not blow up and b) it is more efficient, and c) it is ligher. It might need to be balanced though, perhaps.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=24
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined May 2004
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
Hi DrH those look like nice servos if they hold up.
I'll keep the group posted. The flying season on the east coast is coming to an end... but Next spring... I'll make sure they don't get sloppy.

Anyway... I thought I would post this just for giggles. For some reason... I got a start on my engine that was a little more "Exciting" than it should have been. I had a new fuel pump on my Wren... and after a few flights... I think it loosened up a bit... so the starting fuel increased. Basically... while the RPM's were low... it was pumping more fuel than needed. As you can imagine... because of that... there were some flames coming out the back of this little thing, and the tail got a little hot. (I'm lucky it only got a scorch)

After a few tweaks to the ECU... we got it to run good again. This little guy is a hoot flying on a "big Block" engine.

Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:35 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Dec 2010
18 Posts
Herb,
Really gotta know how you got the ducts to fit, mine are giving me nightmares! Did you trim them at all or were they sticking out of the front intakes at all? I don't remember reading anything specific about trimming the ducts or anything loke that. Could you enlighten me as to how these things really fit into the small space?
Thanks for your blog, it has really helped me out of quite a few build issue with this bird!
Steve
mongo ea6b is offline Find More Posts by mongo ea6b
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:03 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Mar 2008
268 Posts
I fit mine in as best I could, glued em, then mixed up some micro balloons, filled any gaps, smoothed it out, sanded nice and smooth, coated with a very thin coat of epoxy for smoothness and hardness. Worked pretty darned well.
Oryon is offline Find More Posts by Oryon
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:15 AM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Dec 2010
18 Posts
Thanks Oryon for your info, I'll see what I can do to make it work.
mongo ea6b is offline Find More Posts by mongo ea6b
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:07 PM
Joined Sep 2010
36 Posts
Balance question?

Should the plane balance at 105 mm from the part of the wing that is directly behind the intake ducts?
hrsiii is offline Find More Posts by hrsiii
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:09 PM
Joined Sep 2010
36 Posts
Different angle
hrsiii is offline Find More Posts by hrsiii
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:34 AM
Joined May 2004
1,190 Posts
Yes.... More or less.

Herb was marking the leading edge of the wing.