HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Herb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 08:51 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Dec 2010
18 Posts
Herb, I've been going thru pg 1-46 of the posts, and don't see any advice on the vortex generators. I was wondering if you recommend putting those on for problems with stall characteristics of the wing. I know it's only a rc airplane, but wondered if it might help out by having them on.
Your opinion, and any install tips? Shapes, easy designs?
Really appreciate all your input ove rthe building and updating of your 45, hope mine is going to fly as well as yours!
Thanks again!
Steve
mongo ea6b is offline Find More Posts by mongo ea6b
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:33 AM
Oman, Masqat
Joined Apr 2010
321 Posts
mongo, search "wing fence" you will get details of location and design
Boostoman is offline Find More Posts by Boostoman
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:22 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo ea6b View Post
... vortex generators. I was wondering if you recommend putting those on for problems with stall characteristics of the wing. I know it's only a rc airplane, but wondered if it might help out by having them on.
Your opinion, and any install tips? Shapes, easy designs? ...
Hi Steve, I would not try to fly a Hawk without wing fences, every half-decent kit (edf or turbine) has them too for good reason. Besides the CMP T-45 wing has no washout, whereas say the flyfly one has.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1007

I installed Hawk-style wing fences on mine, those T-45 style stubby VG generators are tiny and I doubt they do anything useful in a model - besides causing extra drag. But I could be wrong

So in view of the generally vicious stall characteristic of the CMP wing I would try to keep this particular T-45/Hawk LIGHT.
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:32 AM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Dec 2010
18 Posts
Thanks for everyone's input, makes this much more enjoyable!
mongo ea6b is offline Find More Posts by mongo ea6b
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:08 AM
"My grandma wants to fly jets"
Richmond, VA
Joined Feb 2008
472 Posts
Wikipedia also gives a nice overview of the function and purpose of wing fences that I found useful. After looking at the picture of the SU-22, it made me think about putting a second one on their since the hawk is so prone to tip stalls!
heychas is offline Find More Posts by heychas
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:44 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
... the FlyFly Hawk has a nice wing twist (washout), that's how the CMP T-45 / Hawk's wing should have been designed There is zero washout in the CMP wing.

Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:27 PM
Oman, Masqat
Joined Apr 2010
321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
... the FlyFly Hawk has a nice wing twist (washout), that's how the CMP T-45 / Hawk's wing should have been designed There is zero washout in the CMP wing.

herb,

can you point our were is the wash out on the wing. I can only see the wing fences.
Boostoman is offline Find More Posts by Boostoman
Old Jul 18, 2012, 02:16 AM
Life's short - Enjoy!
Zurich, Switzerland
Joined Nov 2009
628 Posts
Boostoman go get your glasses

And look at the trailing edge line vs the leading edge line... the washout is continuous, e.g. from the root to the tip.
Which typically makes the build of a wing more complicated, more expensive and therefore rare in models
DeeCee 57 is online now Find More Posts by DeeCee 57
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:34 AM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,593 Posts
You only need to pack the trailing edge up when laying the wing out and voila washout. Not rocket science and easy if the jig is set up for it, not much harder than a straight wing jig.
clive45 is online now Find More Posts by clive45
Old Jul 18, 2012, 07:07 AM
Life's short - Enjoy!
Zurich, Switzerland
Joined Nov 2009
628 Posts
no rocket science for sure... but a bit more complicated still...

You could have a twisted spar(s), good luck with that!
Or the ribs have to be very carefully angled to the spar(s). Or most probably shaped to the washout Then the skin has to be worked on a 3 iso 2 dimensional pattern.
To make the matter slightly more challenging, most real A/C don't have a linear washout. Many a designer goes for the washout to be more pronounced behind the ailerons to alleviate tip stall, and less pronounced at the roots to provoke a warning buffeting in that area, though I guess this part does not apply to models (yet)

Probably explains why HK et al don't have it on theirs...
DeeCee 57 is online now Find More Posts by DeeCee 57
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:58 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
They could have had washout in the wing ... it's not that hard, they just need to build the wing in a suitable mold, with ribs tied down with rubber bands until the glue sets.

I think they (CMP) maybe figured it would be nice in the Hawk but not necessary ? Most straight wing planes (ie warbirds) don't really need it.

Just a little bit of washout is needed in the Hawk, not much. I can see the difference in the slow flying characteristic between the FlyFly and the CMP Hawk, it really has an effect ! The FlyFly Hawk is rock solid at slow speed, the CMP one is ready to flip over. Washout is easier to do in an aluminum mold for foam.

Last edited by Herb; Jul 19, 2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 01:12 PM
Richmond, VA
Joined Feb 2008
472 Posts
Wouldn't flying around w/ a little bit of reflex in the ailerons also create washout? I know people w/ the Eflite hawk who have done that.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 01:23 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
... Yes that has a similar effect, "poor man's version" of washout

The wing airfoil isn't just as clean then ...
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:47 PM
6 months to finish a rtf
upstate ny
Joined Jun 2003
1,843 Posts
Herb

may I ask the RTF weight of your Fly Fly hawk and the set up
I'm Just finishing mine which I covered with tissue and finish
cure epoxy .
pulsery2k1 is offline Find More Posts by pulsery2k1
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:47 PM
Richmond, VA
Joined Feb 2008
472 Posts
Thanks Herb! I'll probably put in a little reflex... I'm hoping to maiden soon. I may hit you up w/ some questions about my LVC and my ESC. My Turnigy Superbrain 80A appears to have it low voltage cut-off during some bench testing I haven't had to a chance to trouble shoot due to my work schedule... I hate it when that gets in the way