HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2011, 08:48 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,404 Posts
I looked at the list and I think I would prefer the S3114's over anything on the list... I use them for rudder/elevator in my B2. I think the gold standard right now are the JR DS285's.

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2011, 09:03 PM
Must Luv DLG
USA, CO, Golden
Joined Jul 2010
1,462 Posts
Best Servos

Hey John,

JR DS285 is the Gold Standard. Ask Mike M. for the website to get them for $19.95. You really can't beat that. Save your Tower coupon for another time.

Regards, Dave R.
=======================================
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
Hey guys I am going to replace the HS-55's in my DLG. I can see the resolution is just not there and it will really help me if I am not always fighting the tail servos every few flights.

So I have a coupon to Tower I would like to use, what servos from there should I get that arent the gold standard, but a big improvement over the HS-55's?
Launch-1 is offline Find More Posts by Launch-1
Old Jan 30, 2011, 09:20 PM
Jeremy D Stott
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,822 Posts
Only 5 bucks more seems worth it. I might have to throw some of those in my next bird. What about the Hyperion DS09s?
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
Old Jan 30, 2011, 09:30 PM
excelling at mediocrity
Franktown, CO. USA
Joined Mar 2009
3,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingj View Post
Only 5 bucks more seems worth it. I might have to throw some of those in my next bird. What about the Hyperion DS09s?
You probably can't fit the DS09s. They're pretty "tall". Great for wings.

Use the 285s.
gopherhunter is online now Find More Posts by gopherhunter
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2011, 09:41 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,045 Posts
Well for the gold standard @ $20.00 Ill bite. I wasnt really looking for the Gold standard, but for $20.00 I'll go gold.

So it doesnt take a rocket surgeon for one to guess what my next question for Mike will be.
JONBOYLEMON is online now Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Jan 30, 2011, 09:48 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,302 Posts
Well, I'm no brain scientist, but I can't figure out what the question is.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Jan 30, 2011, 10:38 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Quote:
Well for the gold standard @ $20.00 Ill bite. I wasnt really looking for the Gold standard, but for $20.00 I'll go gold.

So it doesnt take a rocket surgeon for one to guess what my next question for Mike will be.

I'm guessing it's where to buy the servos. I think you search eBay for them, and they can be found for $20
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Jan 30, 2011, 10:58 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,072 Posts
Elevator servo is most important and needs "precision". Rudder servo needs strength and "holding power" to withstand launch yaw forces. Both need to be tight (no gear slop). Torque really isn't a big concern. Most of the top guys use JR DS285 digitals on both. Very strong, tight, and precise. Don't know what price range you are looking at, but these can be bought new off ebay any time for $19.95. That's close to the same price as the other good analog servos that are also popular on DLG tails (JR SM-22, Futaba S3114, etc.). I've heard of the Hitec HS45 being used with success, but don't know the details. They won't be as precise as the 285.
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Jan 30, 2011, 11:52 PM
Joined May 2002
17,045 Posts
http://www.gonitrohobbies.com/default.asp

Whats odd is the servo does not show up on their site.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JR-DS285-Digital...item1e6149d8d9

Odd, but whatever.

The Futaba is available at Tower and would be cheaper, but I dont want to buy another servo for the tail, so I think the JR is the ticket.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=88

And thats why you milk out every last ray of sunshine like we had on Saturday. Ummmmmm winter is still here.
Last edited by JONBOYLEMON; Jan 31, 2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 11:48 AM
Joined May 2002
17,045 Posts
Spoke to Raheim @ Go Nitro and he sent me a PP request for these JR's. They only list them on ebay but will do a paypal thingy if you call, Free shipping as well...

This is the email. We will see come Thursday or Friday when they show up if its too good to be true.

Note from merchant:
JR DS285 Digital Hi-Speed Servo 3x $19.99
free shipping

-----------------------------------
Details
-----------------------------------

Description: Goods
Amount: $59.97 USD
Total: $59.97 USD

RC habit, making me broke even faster now that a DLG is in the mix!!!!
Last edited by JONBOYLEMON; Jan 31, 2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 12:48 PM
A different attitude to RC
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
2,710 Posts
Quote:
RC habit, making me broke even faster now that a DLG is in the mix!!!!
Jon, why are you changing your servo's?
extremewing is online now Find More Posts by extremewing
Old Jan 31, 2011, 01:33 PM
Joined May 2002
17,045 Posts
The HS-55's that are in there have terrible resolution. They were just what I had in the drawer when I was building so I threw them in. Who knows what crashed bird they came from. On my sub trim on my tx it takes at times a bunch of clicks to get them to even move, so the resolution on them is very poor.

I have been fighting trim since day one as each flight is different and after looking at the servos it makes sense. I dont want every flight to require me to find the perfect glide path again...... Saturday was terrible. I did pretty good at first but as the day went on she was all over the place on pitch. So we will see if the new servos make a difference. They should, and if I get another DLG I can re-use them. And....... I am pretty sure I will get another DLG.....
Last edited by JONBOYLEMON; Jan 31, 2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 03:45 PM
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
2,710 Posts
Jon, I have used HS55's in my DLG's for years without problems with trim resolution.

You may want to carefully look for any play or slop in the linkages and push rods. Another possible problem is how freely the push rods move. You would want as little friction as possible in a DLG's push rods (think about what the ailerons stiff movement did on your wing!!).

Also, I noticed on your installation that there was a servo that had the arm brushing against the side of the fuse. If that is still the case, that can cause some problems too.

The last thing you want is to replace the servos and still have the same problem!
Old Jan 31, 2011, 04:01 PM
Joined May 2002
17,045 Posts
The servos w/o the pushrods were not like they used to be. A new HS-55 would be much better, but for only a few bucks more I could get the gold standard. Why not.

I think those HS-55's were out of the Beast, .......... and if you remember the Beast, she led a very "Active" life, so to have the servos be less than perfect would make sense.

The horn almost touched the pod, close but no touchy.

Also I would love to find a source for the small carbon pushrods to replace the wire. Unless its expensive. I would imagine the wire performes the same though.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 04:06 PM
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
2,710 Posts
Wire or carbon would perform the same if you do not have any sharp curves in the push rods. Carbon is lighter and we use it in the LongShots. You can test the friction by taking the servo horn off and seeing how freely or easily they move. This is a very important thing!
And yes, if your HS55's were abused they could be problematic!