HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:27 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,986 Posts
Yep, my rudder took a beating today! Not happy bout that, but oh well.

So will there be scores posted at some point?
JONBOYLEMON is online now Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:27 PM
Carlos G.
United States, UT, Centerville
Joined Aug 2008
853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanger Rash View Post
I have to hand it to Carlos. For his first time flying DLG and being in a contest, he did great. He will be nipping at your guys heels in no time.

When I was timing for him and the round ended he was having so much fun he just kept flying. I had to tell him that if he was still flying after the 30 second window closed he would get a 0. He got it down in a hurry but that is a tuff way to learn the rules while you are in a contest. All new stuff to him.

Good job Carlos.
I won't forget that rule Jim, that's for sure
crgonzalez08 is online now Find More Posts by crgonzalez08
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:29 PM
Joined May 2002
16,986 Posts
Carlos, let us know if you need any help, but if anyone has a handy link on fixing a solid core wing that has delamed on the spar a bit as well as split the leading edge, please post it.

Great flying everyone!!!!! Well, except.............. uh.... hugh......... that guy......

Will do a report later, but I gotta run out again tonight real quick.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:39 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,032 Posts
Fun day! Thank you to everyone who came. Great to see some new faces, and I guess the rest of you were tolerable .

Wow, could we ask for a better day? I got a little too warm a few times. Must have been near 40 F. My face got a bit of sunburn. A couple of hawks and a bald eagle marking lift. Found a couple of good rides today. I really like that field. Lots of room, and good variety of topo. Too bad we can't fly there more often after it warms up and snow melts.

Let's give Jim a big round of applause for all the work he went to hosting this contest! he shows up with donuts, muffins, milk, hot chocolate, streamer poles, his own sound system; AND provides a full lunch setup with awesome chili & sourdough bread. It's like having our own dad of the group taking care of us. Thanks so much Jim. You make everything better. And you flew great too!

Finch and LeMon, thanks for letting me squeak out this first win of the year. It's going to be a battle every month now . Finch just had an unusual off day. LeMon flew like he wanted to win. Can't get much closer that that 99.57%. Brandon pulls out a 4th place. Nice job! BWill is coming right along. Adrian was preoccupied with F3KMaster, as always, which never helps his flying. But we sure do appreciate his efforts to keep our audio and scoring running smoothly. Alex! Great to C U! And way to fly that borrowed plane. Your trouncing of the AULD last flight was enjoyable to see. Ken and Carlos, great job on your first contest. Ken is launching like crazy. I'm pretty sure it's the Sasquatch yell (or the Chewbacca grunt) after release that is giving you all that height! Ken is going to get good, fast. And so will Carlos, once he fixes that wing and gets the Stobel properly tuned for a straight launch. It's going to be a fun year!

I will post the scores shortly. Here is the only photo I took (I suck at that), while Jim was gone to get lunch. Somebody post that group pic!
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:50 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,032 Posts
January 2013 monthly - Scores:
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Last edited by like.2.fly; Feb 02, 2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:08 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Looks like you guys had a great time.

Jim, well done on a successful contest, both running it and flying! Put those points on the board and we'll see if I can catch up.

Carlos, glad you were having fun, but sorry about the intended plane. Let me know if you need help with it.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:07 PM
A different attitude to RC
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
2,643 Posts
Here are the total scores
extremewing is online now Find More Posts by extremewing
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:25 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,369 Posts
You guys are impressive! I can't wait to see the video. Congrats Mike!

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:27 PM
Joined May 2002
16,986 Posts
I dont know if this has been mentioned before, but.............. I really dont like Mike.

Always has to be flying perfect and all that other crap!
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:39 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,636 Posts
I haven't even looked at any video, I'm still licking my wounds...
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:57 AM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Dec 2010
1,593 Posts
Mike - What I like about your photo

is that there is snow in all directions and Jon Finch seems conformable in a t-shirt.

It really was a nice day. I got too warm and had to take off my sweater until the afternoon breeze came up.

Oh! You see that plane with the orange stripes by Jon's feet? That is the Wiper-Snapper-Thumper.
Hanger Rash is offline Find More Posts by Hanger Rash
Last edited by Hanger Rash; Feb 03, 2013 at 03:03 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:01 PM
Joined May 2002
16,986 Posts
Soooo, what was yesterdays big lesson????

For me, it was that I must learn to adapt to changing conditions. I still cant adjust camber to save my life! I do great when conditions stay the same, but as soon as I need to make an adjustment, I do the wrong thing. I will be practicing that as often as I can!

Also, remember, you are never doing as bad as it seems. There were several task yesterday where I was positive I was getting killed, because I was flying great, but I was just falling short of the times. Turns out, we had some very bad sink cycles yesterday and the times show it.

Thanks again to our club president for the great contest. Everything was perfect!

Was great to have soo many people out. I am excited to see so many of the new guys really advancing well. Heres a little tid bit, at a Utah monthly, your percentage at the end of the day will accurately represent pretty much any contest you ever go to as Mike takes care of setting the bar at the perfection level, and so flying here, is no different than flying anywhere else in the world.

Thanks Finch for the train wreck, that was rewarding! Ken, great launch, now just work on the reads and youll be there, Brandon, when there is very weak lift, dont get greedy, you were in good enough air alot, but left it, Nice Jim, BAM!!!!!! The AULD was priceless to watch as you just stayed calm, and worked an almost boyant turd. There was nothing better anywhere, so your sticking to the least sucky air in the park was the right move. Carlos, hopefully the wing is almost all better by now. Once again, take your time and get it fixed right, and it will be worth the weight, the good news is the repair is not on the throwing side of the wing. For your first time ever flying DLG, on a new plane, well, I can see you are going to progress quickly. Paactice throwing and see if you can get the launch straighter w/o the hooking, and if you cant, do a launch preset mix that mixes the launch preset switch to mix in corrective rudder and ailerons as needed. I still have a slight amount of that mix on all my planes because I am a hooker, and I cannot throw perfectly straight like some others.
AD, thanks for running the app again, quit improving it so you can focus on flying! You are a way better pilot than your score!!!! By alot! And I am sick of not worrying about you beating me!
Alex, Its about TIME!!!!!! Was great to have you back in the mix, incredible flying for such a long break from flying. I think you have some of the best natural ability of the group!

And last but not least, Mike, I still have nothing good to say, and with it being Sunday and everything, I will just say, Good flying my friend........................................
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:03 PM
Carlos G.
United States, UT, Centerville
Joined Aug 2008
853 Posts
I did some injection on that wing last night and I feel like it will be ready for a throw! I will put some practice in does throws and try to get my releasing timing right. I should get the hand of it, shouldn't be harder than do a inverted blade scraping with a heli.........
ahhhhh now I now to plan my return withing 30 sec after the window closes!!!! no rush, no rush.
crgonzalez08 is online now Find More Posts by crgonzalez08
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:51 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,636 Posts
It's always fun getting together and flying, especially contest tasks! Great flying Mike and Jon. Can't wait for the next one.

Video is rending...
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:28 PM
Joined May 2002
16,986 Posts
Yo Finch, excited to see the video as always!

Also, a few more weeks and there will be light and maybe even lift for some after work action at my old gf's place! Hope so, as flying only on contest days is not gonna cut it!