SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:10 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgonzalez08 View Post
I understand the feeling......... !!!!!!!!! but I dont have the to go by my self.
Any one up for Farmington bus park....... can be there in 5min
Carlos, you want to meet there tomorrow afternoon? I could be there by 4:20
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:26 PM
United States, UT, Heber City
Joined Feb 2011
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanger Rash View Post
Ooops. OK I added Travis in. He will be in Guest One's spot
I do not have a plane yet................YET! I am working on selling a couple of other planes in my hangar in order to purchase my DLG. These bad boys are a little pricey

I will probably be a spectator for the next couple of events. I can't wait to see this whole DLG madness in person.

I have already downloaded the Free F3K Master droid app and have played with some of the different tasks, to learn how they actually works. I have got the bug BAD.

During a given task is there often collisions? Seems to me that one could use another plane to signal good thermals, but then maybe you would have a couple of planes using the same thermal, causing some close quarters flights.
TJDLEGEND is offline Find More Posts by TJDLEGEND
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:00 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDLEGEND View Post
I do not have a plane yet................YET! I am working on selling a couple of other planes in my hangar in order to purchase my DLG. These bad boys are a little pricey

I will probably be a spectator for the next couple of events. I can't wait to see this whole DLG madness in person.

I have already downloaded the Free F3K Master droid app and have played with some of the different tasks, to learn how they actually works. I have got the bug BAD.

During a given task is there often collisions? Seems to me that one could use another plane to signal good thermals, but then maybe you would have a couple of planes using the same thermal, causing some close quarters flights.
There is a possibility of collision from the situation you describe. However we all try to keep blue sky between the planes and circle in the same direction while climbing in the same thermal. The person in the thermal first or the highest sets the direction.

If you get there before Finch always circle right... he's a pylon racer at heart
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:06 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishjunky View Post
There is a possibility of collision from the situation you describe. However we all try to keep blue sky between the planes and circle in the same direction while climbing in the same thermal. The person in the thermal first or the highest sets the direction.

If you get there before Finch always circle right... he's a pylon racer at heart
At JEM I called 9:58 in poker. 3 min into the task I'm high enough that the plane is very very small. Paul and I collided. Doh. I think we both left the thermal at that point and just circled around the sky.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:09 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDLEGEND View Post
...During a given task is there often collisions? Seems to me that one could use another plane to signal good thermals, but then maybe you would have a couple of planes using the same thermal, causing some close quarters flights.
A couple? Sometimes we have 7 or 8 planes in the same thermal. And I've even seen more than that. Midairs are not uncommon because we do often fly in the same air as other planes, and "poach" lift on purpose that is being marked by someone else. That's a big part of the game. But midairs are not really common either. We follow some basic rules that help, like always circle the same direction as the highest plane in the thermal, and keep blue sky visible between your plane and others at all times, etc. It still happens once in a while, mainly because our depth perception isn't the greatest at the distances we fly. But obey the "blue skies" rule and depth perception doesn't matter... In my 2-1/2 years of competition flying I've bumped another plane maybe 3 or 4 times, and only 2 of those resulted in any damage, but it was always repairable. At every big event I've been to, where there are 25 - 50 pilots split into 3 or 4 flying groups, seems like there is almost always an incident or two during the two-day event. But it isn't something to worry too much about. When it does happen then most guys are cool with it and don't try to find fault. It just happens. We try to be courteous, follow the guidelines, and do our best to fly defensively. All part of the game.
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:12 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,032 Posts
Quote:
...If you get there before Finch always circle right... he's a pylon racer at heart
Yeah, Finch looses his equilibrium if he has to circle to the right. When you see him topple over on the field in the middle of the task, you'll know what's going on..
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:57 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,962 Posts
The only midair I have been in was a total surprise to me. I hit Donnie at the end of the day over in Denver. I believe it was the last round, and it was about 178 degrees on the field! Even after we hit, I was still in a bit of a slumber as I didnt see it coming, and after it happened, I didnt know where the plane that I hit went.

But I avoid the blenders as much as possible. I will even run away from good air to avoid a midair at big contest just because its not worth it to me to hit somebody.

But nobody would ever intentionally hit another guy. We are flying $1,000 planes, even if you are rich, its gonna hurt to loose one.

And yes, Saturday will be very interesting, esp, if we get even more snow. I went through AD tonight, and its a cross country skiers dream!!!!!! Fresh deep virgin powder everywhere.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:42 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
Yeah, Finch looses his equilibrium if he has to circle to the right. When you see him topple over on the field in the middle of the task, you'll know what's going on..
And once I out climb you I then switch direction...
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:47 PM
Carlos G.
United States, UT, Centerville
Joined Aug 2008
846 Posts
Quote:
Carlos, you want to meet there tomorrow afternoon? I could be there by 4:20
I will let you know tomorrow morning, and we can go there or Barns...
crgonzalez08 is online now Find More Posts by crgonzalez08
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:58 PM
Carlos G.
Joined Aug 2008
846 Posts
[/color]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishjunky View Post
there is a possibility of collision from the situation you describe. However we all try to keep blue sky between the planes and circle in the same direction while climbing in the same thermal. The person in the thermal first or the highest sets the direction.

If you get there before finch always circle right... He's a pylon racer at heart
And what we do if flying on a "cloudy day"??
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:30 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,962 Posts
Yep,
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:42 PM
Carlos G.
Joined Aug 2008
846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
Yep,
Good song!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:44 AM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Dec 2010
1,593 Posts
About mid airs. When I was flying in the BSoC event I happened to find a nice thermal and my plane was rising nicely, but I was not in the best part of the thermal. Jim Cokonis saw my plane mark the thermal and when he got in it he knew how to find the best part and his plane rose up from beneath faster than mine and we met unexpectedly.

Just say'n less experienced pilots and experienced pilots do things differently which sets up a meeting.
Hanger Rash is offline Find More Posts by Hanger Rash
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:09 AM
excelling at mediocrity
Franktown, CO. USA
Joined Mar 2009
3,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanger Rash View Post
About mid airs...less experienced pilots and experienced pilots do things differently which sets up a meeting.
Never forget that.
gopherhunter is online now Find More Posts by gopherhunter
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Is this guy double jointed?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:05 AM
Combat: You're doing it wrong.
United States, UT, Layton
Joined Sep 2009
1,810 Posts
Please add Ken Thorne to the list. I plan to be there Saturday.
chewbaccah is offline Find More Posts by chewbaccah