HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:11 PM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Dec 2010
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch View Post
Heber would be a fabulous place to hold a contest...
Agree!!!!
Hanger Rash is offline Find More Posts by Hanger Rash
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:16 PM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Dec 2010
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isoarthenland View Post
Thanks Brandon....gone but not forgotten. My personal OKR for first quarter is:

"Become more agile in order to increase my average Discus Launch Glider launch height from 140 feet to 155 feet."

- Lose 15 pounds.
- Increase upper body strength - how to measure?
- Weather permitting, practice launch technique and record launch heights as measured by on-board altimeter. Current average is 140 feet. Desired average is 155 feet.
OK Russ I am gunning for ya. I took my base weight. I went for a walk to burn calories. I did some stomach exercises to build fat eating muscles and I am eating salad for lunch.

I think the 140' launch might be a bit too much but I am working on it, so watch your 6.
Hanger Rash is offline Find More Posts by Hanger Rash
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:47 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,671 Posts
What should the loaner rate be for the TSOL???? I figure it has $80.00 in servos in it, so $200.00 seems about right.

What think ye? I want it to be enough so that if someone "Borrows" it and then dissapears or plows it into a meat grinder, we can replace it with another learner plane.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:07 PM
Combat: You're doing it wrong.
United States, UT, Layton
Joined Sep 2009
1,778 Posts
Switchjack question:

I noticed my switchjack on my Stobel is bleeding off the battery when it is supposed to be off. I am not very familiar with these things. Is there something I should be looking for as I tear this apart? Any suggestions would be helpful.
chewbaccah is offline Find More Posts by chewbaccah
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:20 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,671 Posts
You should be looking to completly remove the switch jack. 1 less thing to crash your plane if you take it out. Its not the end of the world to tape a canopy.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:28 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,074 Posts
I'm with LeMon on this one. It's one more potential failure point and one more expense when setting up your DLG. It's convenient, but not worth the risk IMHO.
bwill6 is online now Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:52 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,792 Posts
I love switchjacks! Reliability has been 100% for me over several years of use. I agree that practice sessions are no big deal without them... tape/untape the canopy ONE TIME to plug/unplug the battery. But a contest situation is different where the switchjack convenience factor is multiplied by 10 (or however many rounds the contest has). It bites to tape/untape your canopy after every round, especially when you're in a hurry to go time for someone. Not to mention it is hard on connections and wires to be flexing and tugging on them all the time. WAY less wear & tear with the simple plug. I personally believe a switchjack actually increases reliability because of that, as long as you use good high quality parts and carefully do the solder joints right. So, vastly increased convenience AND better reliability... I'm a switchjack man. YMMV.

Ken, if your battery is draining power when the switch is off then something is wrong. Either a short in the system, or a bad battery that needs replacing, or possibly that the voltage regulator is wired in between the switch and the battery instead of where it should be between the switch and the receiver. The batt will drain if left connected to the regulator.
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Last edited by like.2.fly; Jan 23, 2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:59 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
What should the loaner rate be for the TSOL???? I figure it has $80.00 in servos in it, so $200.00 seems about right.

What think ye? I want it to be enough so that if someone "Borrows" it and then dissapears or plows it into a meat grinder, we can replace it with another learner plane.
I think $200 sounds about right.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:07 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,212 Posts
I cant tell you how many times Ive seen folks forget to remove the switchjack plug before throwing. I am sure I will do something else stupid someday and needlessly destroy my DLG but it wont be from a switchjack...

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:10 PM
Joined Jun 2011
3,074 Posts
I could probably afford to just leave my battery plugged in through an entire monthly contest and be just fine. If it weren't too heavy for the Predator I'd put in a 1200 mAh battery and I really would just leave it on all day. Maybe I'll do that with my next Mystic.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:15 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsnoopy View Post
I cant tell you how many times Ive seen folks forget to remove the switchjack plug before throwing. I am sure I will do something else stupid someday and needlessly destroy my DLG but it wont be from a switchjack...

Charlie
Wouldn't it be just as easy for those folks to forget to plug the battery in as to forget to turn the switch on? I don't see a difference. But I'm with you Charlie, there will always be other stupid ways for me to destroy a plane, and I will find them .
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:15 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,303 Posts
I'm a big switchjack fan too. Love 'em!

<knock on wood>
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:26 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,188 Posts
I have one with and one without (switchjack). I fly the one without primarily right now, and it SUCKS to tape and untape... if I had another switchjack on hand and the time/inclination to do anything about it... I'd definitely put one in the other.

I've destroyed, or at least damaged planes due to a myriad of reasons, but a switchjack wasn't one of 'em.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:49 PM
Joined Jun 2011
3,074 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how much do the parts to build a switchjack cost?

All parts accounted for including screws and such. I expect it to take some nose weight, but I could throw a whole ounce in there and she'd still float nicely. I wanted to build this one as an experiment to see how I liked a light layup with a more forward CG. It may turn out that it just flies better heavy, but at least I'll know. My next one I'll shoot for about 245g.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:11 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwill6 View Post
Just out of curiosity, how much do the parts to build a switchjack cost?...
I just made up a switchjack for Mr. Bean. I figured the parts total up to about $10 for the Switchcraft brand switchjack and plug set, connectors, misc materials, plus a little for shipping (if you bought them in bulk like I did). Ordering just one at a time costs about $15 for a switch and plug set alone.