Poorly....... Thankfully......
JONBOYLEMON is online now Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:11 PM
A different attitude to RC
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
2,630 Posts
See, here we go. Now my goal has to be to win a local too. mmm.
extremewing is online now Find More Posts by extremewing
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:16 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,032 Posts
I enjoyed today very much. Thanks everyone for coming. Thanks for the great stew, Jim! Thanks for putting up with us Ken and Steve. Glad to see you out for your first contest, and hope you catch the fever. We all struggled in the beginning. But that's the challenge, and the journey up the ladder of improvement is so much fun! You will get better quickly, and have a great time doing it. Thanks JimA for planning/organizing/running the event.

LeMon beat me fair and square today, at least in the one round we flew against each other. Finch flew great too. Love the competition.
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Last edited by like.2.fly; Dec 29, 2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:27 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-Soar View Post
Jon,

You seemed to be dialed in to your Helios! Congrats....

What was Mike and Finchie flying?

Jon
I was flying a Concept x2 and Mike was flying a Polaris.

I lost again tonight. I wanted to get a big fat steak. Charisse wanted to see Les Mis... Anne Hathaway is not as nice with hacked up hair.

Video tomorrow...
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:57 AM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Dec 2010
1,593 Posts
I don't know! I think I felt the earth shift. Has Mike ever been beaten before? Wowzers!

Almost like I predicted. My best round was the poker round, but I only broke 50% by a bit and you guys have figured out not to get so greedy and actually didn't throw that one out. Poker used to be known as the throw away round, but not anymore.

Steve - you did really well. Wait till you get your feet on solid ground and your plane in more than bumpy, melting, skinny lift.

Brandon - I was amazed to see how your Predator just hung in the cold air. It looked like it defied the laws of physics.

JimA - You did a really good job putting together a fun contest. A big improvement over the last contest we had. We actually had printed cards. Oh, and I have your black clilpboards.

Chewy - It was fun flying with you again especially not having you try to knock my play out of the air as in the sWARm.

JonL - Thanks for the good beta on flying the rudder more. That was the big learning experience for me and the thing I will be working on if we ever see the grass again. Actually the deep snow saved my plane lots of times except for that last low level loop-d-loop.

The rest of you guys it was fun to watch you fly and I enjoyed the good comradeship of all.
Hanger Rash is offline Find More Posts by Hanger Rash
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:31 AM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Dec 2010
1,593 Posts
JonL - After viewing the pictures I have to say that I admire the dexterity of certain of your parts to inscribe F3K in the snow.
Hanger Rash is offline Find More Posts by Hanger Rash
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:32 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,212 Posts
Guys, that was a BLAST! Huge thanks to Jim for running the event so well and for letting me beat you. Huge thanks to the other Jim for making worm stew and to Mike for bringing hot cocoa to share. And a huge thanks to everybody who came and flew! Our group is going to provide some serious contenders at the big contests in 2013. If we can get 8 pilots out to a contest in 8 inches of snow then this ought to be a good year. Thanks guys!

B
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:09 PM
Russ Young
United States, UT, South Jordan
Joined Mar 2006
1,166 Posts
Snif snif....wish I could have made this one. Way to go Jon, great way to end the year!!!
isoarthenland is offline Find More Posts by isoarthenland
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:56 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,634 Posts
UtahDLG December 2012 Contest (4 min 37 sec)
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:10 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,981 Posts
No F3K banner?

But once again Jon, a FANTASTIC video! Thanks for doing these as it is great to enjoy the contest again. And sure nuff, I believe you got darn near every greatest hits moment on film! And I'll be, if your videos are VERY WELL DONE!

And....... after the weather today, and the weather all last week, and the weather for all this week. We DODGED A BULLET!!!!!! Its gonna be COLD, but I would be up for a New Years flipoff @ AD if anyone could make it. Nothin fancy, just smack talk and AULD's.
JONBOYLEMON is online now Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:34 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,032 Posts
Isn't that so like Finch? Surfing the web on his phone, taking video, and driving all at the same time... You know what I'm talking about, right Adrian? We've driven to enough contests with F to know how lucky we are to still be alive!

Great video Jon. Thanks for doing that. I truly enjoyed watching LeMon get knocked on his butt by an 8-1/2 oz Helios incoming at a blazing 1 mph. He was a man to stand there and take it like that . Sorry for laughing as I was timing for you on that one. But I was yelling for a quick turnaround as it was the 5x2 task. I have to give L a hard time, as do we all, about winning this one...

That closeup of me near the end where it looks like I'm trying to whistle... just directing breath away from sunglasses that were fogging up. Steamed lenses = not good !

I can still taste Jim's spicy worm stew in styro bowels.........mmm... Oh, and big THANKS to nice Jim for tromping out those spin circles with his snowshoes before we started.

That Maverik cocoa was too thick and sweet for me...

What a great time. Let's do it again in January! The 2013 UDLG Freeze Fly. Shall we say the 19th or 26th; at either Galena, Alpine, or Sod Farm; at 10:00AM? I can do either date, but prefer the 19th.

** EDIT **: Oops! The JEM is Jan 19-20, so that day is out. Maybe the 26th? But we'll have to start early...

Utah DLG rockz
Last edited by like.2.fly; Dec 31, 2012 at 12:54 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:36 AM
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
2,630 Posts
Finch, you ARE the official Utah cinematographer for a good reason.

The video makes the whole thing look really good!
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:38 AM
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
2,630 Posts
And yes, Mike I do know what you are talking about!! We take the Prius next time
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:49 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,032 Posts
Suggested UDLG contest schedule has been posted for 2013. See POST #1 of this thread, and also our WEBSITE.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:10 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
I finally got a chance to sit down and watch the video and reflect on the contest.

First off great job on the video, thank you for putting that together.

I had been watching the weather reports and hoping for the best, I agree with LeMon that we dodged a bullet and got the best weather we could ask for considering the season and storms that have rolled through. We had very little wind, and I'm sure everyone is thankful for that.

I didn't fly as well as I had hoped, but it was fun all the same. I was able to fly in one of the two reported thermals, which was in the AULD x 5 (btw this task takes an unreasonable amount of time... so make sure you have a good charge). Spinning in the snow makes for interesting launches and landings. In an attempt to keep the snow off I tried to hang my stobel in a tree , even though it never quit bouncing, they stopped my time .

The stew was a perfect ending for the fun times we had. I only wish I could have stayed a bit longer for the post contest trash talk.

Jon L. You have already come in first in every 'BS' contest I've seen you involved in... oh wait, maybe you meant a 'Blue Skies' contest...

Whatever the schedule ends up like I hope to make it out to more contests, good luck to everyone going to the JEM.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky