HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:49 PM
A different attitude to RC
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
2,735 Posts
LeMon, get some circuit board from RadioShack or me.
extremewing is offline Find More Posts by extremewing
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:21 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
I made some control horn material out of CF and FG scraps I had laying around. I varied the fiber directions and only added two layers of carbon in a 10~12 layer sandwich. It's thin, light, and gets the job done.

If you would like some, I'll be in town tomorrow.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:21 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
PS, if I dont have circuit board to make tail control horns out of, whats the next best thing? 1/64" lite ply with a CF layer on each side?
Might I recommend THIS stuff. Make sure you glue a couple sheets together for added strength. You don't want these breaking.
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:34 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,093 Posts
Thank B. Would it be worth laying some of this on the horiz stab as well and then welding the horn in place?
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:48 PM
Joined Jun 2011
3,238 Posts
Good idea. In fact, it's good for use as a patch over the vertical/boom joint as well.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:52 PM
Joined May 2002
17,093 Posts
I will probably order enough to wrap the tail boom as well. That way I can weld it in place!

Anyone else wanna go in on an order????
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:47 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,357 Posts
I hear that if you chew on it like a stick of gum, the dimples created makes a good aerodynamic surface, and the adhesive adhears :eek :better

BP
bbbp is offline Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:54 PM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Dec 2010
1,593 Posts
Yeah Jon, count me in on the order. I like the idea that it is very soft and plan to repair my wing with it. That way when I lawn dart the wing will give and be less apt to break. And I can use the fact that it is radiation safe so there will be less interference between my servos and receiver. And the fact that it is toxic has its advantages. I haven’t figured that part out yet but the other thing is that it is very resistant to corrosion which means I can fly on snowy days. I am all over this. And to say the least... you know it won't hurt my performance either.
Hanger Rash is offline Find More Posts by Hanger Rash
Last edited by Hanger Rash; Dec 11, 2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:49 AM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Dec 2010
1,593 Posts
I got a flat 1S 55o mah from Mr. Finch last night. I am just wondering what you guys use to check the voltage at the field for 1S? I looked on HK and all I could find where cell checkers from 2S - 8S.
Hanger Rash is offline Find More Posts by Hanger Rash
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:11 AM
Joined Jun 2011
3,238 Posts
I'd like to know that myself. I've just been watching the time and making sure I don't get close to it's limit. Even in testing the 650 mAh 1s I never actually reached too low of a voltage, and I let it run for 4 hours! I will usually charge after 2 hours just to be on the safe side, but I'd like to have a way to check voltage in case a battery decides to go kaput on me.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:43 AM
Joined May 2002
17,093 Posts
I use this for my voltage checking needs.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...itor_2_6S.html

All you need for voltage is to figure which end pin is the common one and then just use that side of the checker as the next pin up, or down, will be cell voltage lead.

Or................ you can use the voltage checker #11 uses. His method can be used even when the plane is flying @ 500' or 1000' up. You just go to the field, and fly until the battery dies and then the plane crashes. You know at that point the battery is dead. Seems hard on the planes alot of the time, but its VERY accurate, and lets you fly the absolute maximun amount of time per charge!!!!! And as an added bonus, there is no special gear needed, which saves $$$$!!!!!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:57 AM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,797 Posts
Hey, I've also used the method of leaving the charge jack installed while flying. This method doesn't use up any battery life at all!

FWIW, I use this one: http://www.valuehobby.com/accessorie...rm-tester.html only because the one Lemon linked to was out of stock when I needed one.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:59 AM
Joined May 2002
17,093 Posts
PS, if anyone is ordering HK stuff, grab some 900 1S's would ya. I have a few extra 1200's as well if you are needy.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:22 AM
A different attitude to RC
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
2,735 Posts
Jim, The BTOA has a voltage readout as well as low voltage alarm. It will work perfectly for 1s setups...
extremewing is offline Find More Posts by extremewing
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:32 AM
Joined May 2002
17,093 Posts
Or that little gem!

Check your VM AD.

http://www.1019theend.com/