HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2011, 02:46 AM
Jeremy D Stott
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
Utah only has two major trout rivers. The Provo River (middle and lower sections), and the Green River below Flaming Gorge are both world class blue ribbon fly waters. Trout there are large and plentiful, and SMART. A half day float trip on the Green from the dam to Little Hole is an amazing experience. There are also numerous other small streams that offer great fly fishing at times.

Ya. Those are great trophy trout rivers, but not really my experience. My fly fishing started when I was super young and it was always in the High Uintas. I've always fished the small streams and lakes (many hidden) and been lucky enough to catch a few "big" ones in my life. Dad taught me how to tie the essentials when I was a kid, namely, renegades, ants, mosquitos, royal humpy, gnats, and a few others. I remember screaming out to my Dad across the lake about 10 AM wondering what to do since I just caught my limit. It was always a bunch of 12 - 16 inch cutthroat, rainbows, and brooke trout. Dad always seemed to take his time, send em back when they were pan size and always managed to catch the only 2 pounder in the lake... Lucky. I remember how the storms rolled in instantly and the lake jumped up a foot from hail the size of ping pong balls. I remember my dad saved me by protecting me with his creel while we were stuck out in the meadow with no pines in sight. We only had a few dry matches and luckily got a fire going. We'd find hidden treasures as we looked for hidden lakes, namely a pond full of lilies that covered the pond in bloom. Moose and bear were part of the experience too. Face to face with a mama and its baby... She stared us down for a long time. I went searching for that old lily pond by myself and while getting my footing around the glacier rock deposits found myself in the middle of a bunch of bull moose... They didn't seem too threatened so I calmly turned and went back to where I came. I never saw that black bear whose fishing whole I'd stolen, but my wife waiting up by the road, a ways away, told me it walked away on the other side of the willow bushes as I took its spot... Man the fish were biting good then.

Fly fishing...

Particularly Dry fly fishing. Its a love. Something about everything having to be just right. The cast, finding the right hole, the fly sitting just right on top of the water, gliding slowly across in the breeze with the hackle sticking up high. You can't look away for even a second because that's when the fish will strike. Some days nothing, other days everything, once in a big while there's that fighter, the big one, the one that makes it all worth it.

... I guess its kind of like DLG.
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:47 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
Does the selling of your house not include a purchase of a new one in the great state of Utah????
The next home purchase will likely be in Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsnoopy View Post
If you throw hard you will really want the pull (string, pushrod, whatever) on the left side of the rudder. The harder you throw the worse it will hook if you do not...

Charlie
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
You can try it first. But I agree with Charlie and would try hard to figure out a way to switch it over, especially since it is pull/spring. The spring tension alone probably isn't solid enough to hold the rudder straight during launch when the rudder horn on the same side as the throwing blade.
Thanks guys, so is my best option to cut and re-hinge on the other side? This would probably allow me to keep the pull/spring setup. Or I can just put in a push rod and a new control horn.

Anyone local have some extra etched teflon tubing they'd like to sell?
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:15 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,507 Posts
I am not familiar with the Solonit rudder construction so I cant be of much help there. It seems that most like to put the hinge in the middle if possible or on the opposite side of the control horn to increase arm leverage without having the control horn stick further out into the air flow.

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:39 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishjunky View Post
That sucks, Jim . We will miss you! Darn jobs ruin everything. You are required to recruit at least two new DLG guys to take your place before you leave...

Quote:
...so is my best option to cut and re-hinge on the other side?...
Shouldn't require any cutting and re-hinging. Just reverse the spring tension direction, move the control horn to the other side of rudder, and re-route the pull line to match the new horn location. Oh, and reverse your rudder servo direction on the radio. To reverse the spring, first undo the pull line from the horn and allow the rudder to spring open naturally. You should be able to see the spring wire in the hinge line and pull it out. Make a new spring shape, or adjust the old one, or flip it over or something, so it will apply tension in the opposite direction; and reinstall.
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Jan 24, 2011, 02:24 PM
Jeremy D Stott
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,822 Posts
How does that Salonit look in real life? I bet its a beauty with all of that carbon fiber.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 02:33 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
[QUOTE=Fishjunky;17199470]The next home purchase will likely be in Illinois QUOTE]

We moved from northern Illinois to AZ almost 15 years ago. Save yourself the hassle and come out here!
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Jan 24, 2011, 02:40 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingj View Post
How does that Salonit look in real life? I bet its a beauty with all of that carbon fiber.
It is gorgeous! I just wish I had time to work on getting it ready to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post
Quote:
We moved from northern Illinois to AZ almost 15 years ago. Save yourself the hassle and come out here!
Yes, my wife would love to be moving to a warmer climate.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 02:46 PM
Jeremy D Stott
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,822 Posts
... Seriously Jim. But I do know that work is work and you have a great job.

Its funny though how many people move to Phoenix from up North. My Father in Law is one of them. While visiting him, I went flying at one of the local clubs. There had to be at least 5 or 6 new-comers, mostly retirees, checking out the flying field before moving down. This was a few years ago... The only thing I couldn't stand is the little stint when it gets above 110.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 03:02 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
That's when we go to Cali to fly. Or to Sedona, or Flaggstaff, or...
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Jan 24, 2011, 03:11 PM
Jeremy D Stott
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,822 Posts
I'd take a few weeks of 120 over 3 months of freezing any day.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 03:48 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
When we drove through Flaggstaff several years back, we really liked it. I really like the company that I work for, and it's a good move for us. I'll just have to find some locals out there to fly with.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 04:06 PM
Always Twirling for Freedom!
Utah, planet earth
Joined Mar 2009
822 Posts
OK boys.. REALLY QUICK Question... Well, know how I've been looking for a 9303.. RIGHT as I was about to pay for the dedicated 2.4 system, I found a really nice guy back east willing to sell me a 72 9303 for $150, and a Spektrum module for $50. Cheaper that what I was looking at! BUT, he says the only differance is that with the AFTERMARKET module, it won't have Modelmatch. Is that a big deal, really? HELP, QUICK!
Extremeace is offline Find More Posts by Extremeace
Old Jan 24, 2011, 04:09 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,844 Posts
Modelmatch is awesome and has saved my bacon many times. But ymmv...
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Jan 24, 2011, 04:12 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
You have to learn to pay more attention when you pull a model out, other than that I haven't had any issues switching from a radio with model match to my current setup without it.

I make it a habit that when I turn on my radio, I always go into model selection mode.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 04:28 PM
Jeremy D Stott
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,822 Posts
Alex, Is it P51 or something like that? Either way you could buy the radio for 150 and get a DSM2 module and RX combo for 109.00. Sell the Rx on RCG and it would be about 50 bucks as well. Is model match in the radio though or the 2.4 module? I don't know since I'm running a 72 9303 that isn't JR 2.4