HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:48 PM
Joined Nov 2007
138 Posts
Fr3ak

Mike I put my order in this week for a Fr3ak, I cant wait, should be a great glider.

Dick Bean
Richard L Bean is offline Find More Posts by Richard L Bean
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:00 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L Bean View Post
Mike I put my order in this week for a Fr3ak, I cant wait, should be a great glider.

Dick Bean
Sweet! You will love it.

Mine is a hybrid of the Fr3aK wing & tails mounted on a Wyoming Wind Works fuselage (sadly no longer available). But the standard Fr3aK fuse should be just as good. I did top drive ailerons with Hyperion DS-09 servos in the wings. The Zone V2 airfoil is very thin, and requires skinny servos. The DS-09, and Airtronics 94802, BARELY fit. The servo horn, as short as you can get it, is still about 1mm proud of the bottom wing skin. But it works fine. There might be some other quality servos that are a bit thinner, but probably a lot more expensive too.

It will be good to have Mr. Bean flying with us! Let us know if you need any help.
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:16 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,558 Posts
Awesome! I think you'll like the Freak. If I were in the market for another plane it would probably be the Freak. I love how Mike's launches!
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:13 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,169 Posts
The more I fly the P2, the more I like it. It runs surprisingly well at 9.7oz, though it doesn't have the float performance of other ships I've flown. It likes to fly much faster than the Mystic, but at what feels like a similar L/D. The Mystic seems to just putt along at its own pace from one point to another without losing much altitude, but struggles sometimes when coming home from downwind. With the P2 I can point the nose down a little and pick some speed and she seems to make it home in a hurry. It's got a couple of bad habits that I'm pretty sure are due to a CG that's too far forward. My new batteries should be here soon, allowing me to take care of that. I'll also be really eager to see how floaty it becomes once I've dropped about 1/2oz.
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:19 PM
Joined Nov 2007
138 Posts
Freak

Thanks Mike, and John, I have been flying DLG for about 5 years now mostly by myself, the main reason I have not come to any of your contests is that both of my knees are bone on bone and I cant stand to be on my feet for very long, but when I get this glider done and tuned in I will come and fly with you guys and we will see where it goes from there, BTW you already got one of the best there ever was, and his name is Russ Young.
I will see you all soon.

Dick
Richard L Bean is offline Find More Posts by Richard L Bean
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:14 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L Bean View Post
BTW you already got one of the best there ever was, and his name is Russ Young.
I will see you all soon.

Dick
That makes it sound the TVK died. Has anyone talked to him lately???? Hope he didn't die.........

Richard, dont let the need to stand or throw keep you away! You will be blessed to have a couple of the best huckers in the country throw for you. We could even get a comfy chair for you so you can take it easy! The last contest I was mostly dead and actually just laid out on the field for 5 minutes after the last round cuz I couldnt stand up anymore, and that was with everyone else throwing for me.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:57 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,558 Posts
Ditto what Lemon said. If you have knee problems let us throw for you. Come out and play... it's very addictive!

Lemon and I and anyone else who want to come will be flying tomorrow afternoon (2 or 3 pm). Art Dye or Alpine I suppose... I'll post before we leave for anyone who would like to come.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:20 AM
sewing machine thumb
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Jul 2001
2,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
The last contest I was mostly dead and actually just laid out on the field for 5 minutes after the last round cuz I couldnt stand up anymore, and that was with everyone else throwing for me.
For once he's not exaggerating. His elbow was bigger than your knee that day!

Have you tried knee braces?
Frank S is offline Find More Posts by Frank S
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:11 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch View Post
Ditto what Lemon said. If you have knee problems let us throw for you. Come out and play... it's very addictive!

Lemon and I and anyone else who want to come will be flying tomorrow afternoon (2 or 3 pm). Art Dye or Alpine I suppose... I'll post before we leave for anyone who would like to come.
Would love to join you guys, but I have a feeling I need to save my border pass for next weekend... where/what time is the contest next weekend?

For SL county contests couldn't we just convene at Old Mill and see what happens?
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:15 PM
Dam Dutch Fokker.
USA, UT, Farmington
Joined Jul 2003
311 Posts
Sat. afternoon flipping

So is there going to be anyone at A.D. Park . I want to come down and have someone look at my wing for repair suggestions? Marc
THREEWING is online now Find More Posts by THREEWING
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:27 PM
Joined May 2002
16,872 Posts
Well I had to work down in Mt Pleasent again today, but it not all bad! My DLG fund and DLG travel fund is now where it needs to be! Yippie!

I got home later than I thought I would but #11 was still wantin to go flippin so I called my Dad and he came out as well!

Was great to see my Dad fly well for the 1st time in a long time. Hes lookin down the barrel at the big 8 Ohh and gets frustrated easily, but he flew all his planes great today. I kept telling him to quit flying the plane soo much and today he finally did it! He finally remembered what overcontrolling does to a plane, and once he just let them go and guided them instead of crankin on the sticks he flew terrific. It really was kind of tough to see my Father struggle sooo much with what to me has become soo simple. I started RC 32 years ago and maiden-ed my 1st week out under my Dads guidance, and also proceeded to crash many a plane that he was soo happy to replace and fix. Roles have changed and I am the one getting him planes and RC stuff for him on his Birthday and fixing repairs after less than perfect landings. So its bitter sweet, and soo worth it, and after today, there was no extra repairs needing to be done tonight.

So tonight my 11 year boy old came and asked me if he could start flying and if I would teach him. Hopefully we are on the road to spending many a great afternoon flying together and it would be awesome if we had 3 generations in the air at the same time!

Anyways, ramble off.....

I still cant believe that that wasnt budda!!!!!!!

PS, Your darn right I am recording the CG and flap settings from today! Was a fun day to just launch and then it was a contest to see who could loiter longer as there was no real climbing to be had with 98% cloud cover and the sun on the horizon.

PS #2, just got your voice mail Marc. Yeah, its probably too late now.....
Last edited by JONBOYLEMON; Oct 13, 2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:18 AM
Joined Jun 2011
3,169 Posts
Jon, congrats on your dad's success and on your son taking interest. I'd still like to teach my Dad some day. I just need a buddy box.

I finally got around to checking the status of the battery that stayed plugged in for 3 1/2 days in a tree. I figured it'd be completely drained, but it was at 4.6V. I did a forming charge and cycled it a couple times and it's discharging about 85% rated capacity, so I'll go ahead and keep using it. That is, until my Lipos arrive.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:01 PM
SoCal
Joined May 2006
153 Posts
My Dad taught me to fly when I was thirteen or fourteen. I've been at it ever since.

Dad is now 84 and doesn't fly any more. He does occasionally get out to watch me fly but not nearly enough.

And I've sparked the interest in a couple of kids over the years. Flying toy airplanes certainly isn't the worst things kids could do now days.

Ron R.
rrunyan is online now Find More Posts by rrunyan
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:15 PM
Joined May 2002
16,872 Posts
Yo AD, I have the Teflon tube.

That wipes me out. There might be 12" left or so. Which might be enough for my next project.
Does anyone have more? I also need some more green string from TVK.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:30 PM
Joined Jun 2011
3,169 Posts
I've got some Jon. How soon do you need it?