Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:10 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,953 Posts
David and I plan to be flying at WCF tomorrow morning, 9:00 AM, if anyone would like to join us.
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:39 PM
The Real J
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
Morning to early afternoon is fine. Maybe I'd drive halfway the night before. That would be fine. More rounds is better.
I didn't know how far frank was but more rounds would be good.

Other months 8- 12 for regular monthlys would be great. It's the 10-2 with 1.5 hours travel to and fro before and getting back around 4 and the day is gone.

My 2 cents, but I know my penny's have less value than anyone elses in the group. I need to fly more so they're worth more.
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:41 PM
The Real J
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
David and I plan to be flying at WCF tomorrow morning, 9:00 AM, if anyone would like to join us.
Weber county fairgrounds? I might join you around 10.
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
Old Aug 18, 2012, 01:16 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingj View Post
Weber county fairgrounds? I might join you around 10.
Yup. Be there J!
Old Aug 18, 2012, 03:45 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,953 Posts
Had fun flying with Jeremy & David today. Not a ton of lift, but there was some, and it was workable with patience, and was good practice. Reminded me of BSOUT at the sod farm.

We were messing around with the tuning/trimming on David's Topsky 2, and had it flying pretty well, until I folded the wing on about a 60% effort launch. Nice clean break right down the center section joint between the two wing halves, just like it was cut with a blade. The plane arced over the top of the launch, flapped its wings a couple of times like a wounded duck, then gave up the ghost and settled into a nice smooth vertical dive with both it's wings pointing straight up, right onto the horse race track. Landed about 30 yards in front of a horse that was jogging around the track, and spooked it a little, but the rider stayed on.... Not a lot of strength there in that wing joint with the light fiberglass cloth being the only reinforcement. Should be an easy fix though. I suggested he redo it with some carbon. Anybody down there in SLC have some so he doesn't have to wait for mail order? He will also need a bit for the nose that cracked.

Good news is that he is really enjoying his new (my old) Stobel V2! Watch out for him at our next club contest...
Old Aug 18, 2012, 06:08 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,871 Posts
Funny, I just pulled the tape of a TSOL's wing as well. It is the club plane that I am resurrecting from Evan. I am taking my time and really trying to make the repair not noticeable.

I have her sanded and filled and prepped for a carbon wrap. There were several depressions after I got the wing put back together so I am trying a new trick to fill them prior to CF. I used Gorilla glue in the low spots and then put the non sticky side of some packing tape against the gorilla glue and then clamped it. The result is pretty danged good. It gives a smooth surface that weighs nothing and is easily sanded if needed. I am hopeful that the epoxy CF wrap will stick to the gorilla glue.

I am hoping the wing servos are still good as if they are I will only need to put 2 servos in the pod and she will be ready to fly again!

Also, TBM & I flew at AD todat a few times. The lift was absurd. Seldom a boomer, but if you were patient and just flew smooth you could fly as long as you wanted as the air was stagnant so you could spend 10 minutes in one happy place and only drift a few hundred feet. Flew the Helios in the morning and the V3 this afternoon. I am liking the V3 more each time I fly it.

Fun times!!!!!!
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Aug 18, 2012, 06:22 PM
Joined May 2002
16,871 Posts
PS, lest you worry TBM has suddenly started to love his planes, rest easy, he still hates them!!!!!
Old Aug 18, 2012, 06:44 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremewing View Post
I do not do any better with the concept than I did with the Blasters, in fact probably not as well!

I guess it's mostly skill and practice that get us anywhere.

30 years ago I went through that when I was shooting a lot of trap. I kept trading guns because I KNEW it was the gun and not the idiot pulling the trigger.

+1 on practice, practice,practice,practice,practice,and skill. But, keep in mind incorrect practice is just reinforcing bad habits. Ya I been there and done that also. Have somebody critique your practice and nag the heck out of you if need be.

Ken
kenh3497 is online now Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FAA & Model avaition
Old Aug 18, 2012, 06:54 PM
Joined May 2002
16,871 Posts
I dont mind lettin AD know how bad he is flying................. Ever...........
Old Aug 18, 2012, 07:02 PM
Never enough time to fly!
SLC, UT
Joined Sep 2006
1,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
... Anybody down there in SLC have some so he doesn't have to wait for mail order? He will also need a bit for the nose that cracked.
I have about a square foot of really light CF cloth, also about the same amount of the heavier stuff. Let me know if it will help out.
ecase is offline Find More Posts by ecase
Old Aug 18, 2012, 07:07 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
Morning to early afternoon is fine. Maybe I'd drive halfway the night before. That would be fine. More rounds is better.
We seriously let the foreigner have the 12,000th post in the Utah DLG thread?! What were we thinking?!
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Aug 18, 2012, 07:11 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,541 Posts
He is no foreigner. We adopted him last year!

It's not so much that I hate my planes. It's more that my planes hate trees. In all honesty it was stupid easy soaring today at art dye.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Aug 18, 2012, 07:12 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch View Post
In all honesty it was stupid easy soaring today at art dye.
Stupid easy soaring ain't so easy for us stupid soarers...
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:34 PM
Joined May 2002
16,871 Posts
No, a turd with a elevator could have thermaled today.......

It really was boring! TBM and I were talking about how much has changed in the last year. Now our planes range like krazy, we are comfortable at krazy ranges, we can actually almost read air, we consistently launch plenty high, and yet, we still have soo much room for improvement!!!!!!!!!!

That is the great thing about DLG, is that it really is such a fine line were we fly, its right at the edge in soo many ways.........

BAM, I know what song is starting off the BSOLOUT video!!!!!!
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:18 AM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,541 Posts
I switched out the beat up stock stobel vertical with a swindel between flying outings yesterday. I mounted it about 1/2 inch closer to the pylon. The plane lost a little wt. it's now 9.6 oz.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch