HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2010, 02:10 PM
Fly Cheap. Fly Hard. Fly Daily
USA, UT, Riverton
Joined Aug 2005
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingj View Post
Since none of us have dlg event planning experience we should accept Daves offer to help us this first time and mentor us and then Matt and Mike could learn how for future events.
Looks like the third weekend in September 2011 is a good fit so far. I think we should proceed with that plan until or unless there's a good reason to change it.

I like the idea of recruiting experienced folks from out-of-state to give advice and assistance, beyond a doubt! However, I think it's very important to build more local Contest Director experience here in Utah for these and other events.

Plus, if I understand correctly, after you CD your first contest each year, you get both your CD fee and half of your AMA dues waived. How cool is that? I think we absolutely want to build a corps of Contest Directors this coming year. I've volunteered. Anybody else local been a member of the AMA for at least 3 consecutive years?
redgiki is offline Find More Posts by redgiki
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2010, 02:41 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,097 Posts
I could CD.

Not sure I could help run a fly in though...... But from what I have seen, a caveman can do it....

3rd we of Sept? One week before the uncivil war???? Might hurt your recruiting efforts to get UT County combat guys to apostatize that close to a sacred weekend..
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Nov 14, 2010, 03:47 PM
Clinton, Utah
Joined Apr 2008
284 Posts
New to DLG

Hi,
I posted over on the hand launch forum and got a link to here. I'm thinking about getting into DLG and I would like to get together with you guys when you have an outing and find out what it's all about. I live in Clinton but I'll drive pretty much anywhere. Let me know whats up. Thanks, Greg
fabmaster911 is offline Find More Posts by fabmaster911
Old Nov 14, 2010, 03:54 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,111 Posts
Cool, another Greg! Welcome to the group! Just watch this thread and you will hear about when & where we fly. We were at the Ogden Busines Depot (BDO) yesterday, and will probably be out next weekend somewhere in Weber/Davis county. You are going to love this sport.
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Nov 14, 2010, 04:15 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
(from the old Utah DLG thread)...There is also several hundred acres out near Vernon that may be PERFECT for this type of event. Bring an RV and setup shop right there on BLM land that is everywhere out there.

I will try and post a map of the farms I know very well out there and they would be thrilled to host an event.

Is a sod farm ideal??? Seems like a sod farm with all its grass is great especially if they had an area where they just harvested and you had fresh topsoil to heat up.

Any ways you punks, are gonna get me into another aspect of RC whether I like it or not aren't you!!!!! Oh well the few times IU have flown a DLG it has been a treat.
Quote:
http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=e...,0.170803&z=13

Its the circles to the North of town.
Sod farms are perfect as long as there is at least a couple hundred square yards clear of sprinkler pipes. The Vernon farms look great! Only problem is they are so remote. It would be nice to have it closer to the I-15 corridor between Ogden and Provo, as non-local guys that don't camp out will stay in nearby hotels/motels and eat out. Even the Arizona contest, which seems to be in the middle of nowhere in the desert, is still only a few minutes from major motels, restaurants, stores, and services. Same for the Colorado event.

Do you have any connections with the sod farms I see on the very northwest tip of Utah Lake in the Saratoga Springs area? Or could the combat farm there near the Vineyard in west Orem clear an area for us for a few days in September, and would they allow some non-intrusive self-contained camping on site?
Old Nov 14, 2010, 04:17 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
Ummm... how about just some nice regular F3K tasks instead?

Your suggestions are creative and fun; perfect for a UTE RC club electric or foamie combat fun-fly. Sorry for being a killjoy here, and I don't mean to squelch your great ideas Matt. But this somehow just doesn't feel like it fits in with the spirit of DLG. At least not for our monthly local contests, which is what we are trying to plan here. I hope others will chime in to either agree or disagree with me on this (I can take the rejection ).

OK, you may brand me a "purist", but these activities would make me feel like I was somehow corrupting the the dignity of the sport . Like asking a fly-fisherman to fish with worms. Handlaunch is about quiet, peaceful, serene, being one with nature, reading air, improving skills & techniques, the thrill of using only my arm and the sun to power my flight. Take those away and it looses most of what attracted me to it in the first place. Plus I don't think I want to risk my expensive DLGs in a limbo contest or on an aero-tow or high-start

The whole point of our monthly contest idea is to practice flying and scoring the F3K tasks, and practice running a contest in general so we can be well prepared to host BSoUT in September, and make it a class act.

So what does everyone else think? Am I being a party pooper?
As an outsider here,probably not any of my business,lol... Mike is right on... For example,we use the Beat the Heat Series of Contests in Arizona as Fun Flys, but they also serve as a training ground for the bigger and more serious contests.These "Fun Flys" give the pilots an opportunity to really learn the F3k rules and strategies.Do we alter the rules or tasks..sometimes..but seems like less and less.
After competing in the fun fly contests a pilot will be able to go to a regional contest,know the rules the tasks,the strategies, and basically not feel like a fish out of water...All the pilots that compete in the fun fly contests, that follow the F3K rules become better pilots whether they want to compete or not.
-Dave
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Nov 14, 2010, 04:41 PM
Joined Jun 2009
875 Posts
I agree with shhhh. If it weren't for the chance to go to a noncritical contest like the "Beat the Heat" contests this last summer in AZ. I would have had second thoughts about entering the "Blue Skies Over Arizona" last week. Speaking from a guy who has not really flown a lot of any type of RC planes. It does give you the chance to get rid of any second thought of getting in some body's way. They can do a lot for your mental game as well not only the flying part of the sport. For me it is not so much as being the leader of the pack but being part of the fun. It is really an addiction to see yourself throw and keep a plane up in the air for multiple minutes. Just like the old saying " try it you'll like it". If thing go well next year I am sure you will see a bunch of us from AZ attend the full series. CO, NM, UT, and AZ

Norm Carlson...newbie
Storm51 is offline Find More Posts by Storm51
Old Nov 14, 2010, 06:56 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Looks like the consensus is to stick to the F3K tasks, which is what I would prefer as well. Now if we can find some places to hold the contests.

Mike, what about the balloon park up there in Eden? I wonder if we could talk to the condo's and get an agreement in place to allow some overnight camping.

When Greg, Matt, and I went to CO for their monthly informal contest, it was a lot of fun practicing all of the tasks you would typically see in any of the big contests. It was challenging because there was no downtime. Two groups meant you were either timing or flying. I think for our first few we will need to be more informal, but stick to the tasks.

We also learned a lot about the etiquette of this gentleman's game, the unwritten "rules".
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:34 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,097 Posts
As far as I know there are not sod farms out by Saratoga. There are farms all up and down the Wasatch front though. So why dont you guys do this. Pick where you want it and I can help with the sod farm contacts and get the ball rolling. I have a great relationship with all the farms in the state, there just are not that many different owners of them and most have them in several locations. If you wanted a Northern/Northern Utah location there is a huge sod farm in Treemonton.

But seriously, the farm where we have the Civil War will be hard to beat. I would imagine rv's would not be a problem. If you are serious about it let me know what info is important and I will run it past the farm.

So things like

How big an area is needed
How long is it needed for
Can RV's stay onsite
Etc etc

Just get me the list and I will try and get you the info.

PS Do DLG'ers still fly 72???? Frequency control could be an issue anywhere along the Wasatch Front as there are lots of people flying everywhere. Not anything like it used to be with 2.4 being soo popular now though.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:56 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,111 Posts
Jim, I've been dreaming for a long time of having our contest at that site, the hot air balloon park at Wolf Creek Resort in Eden! I fly there all the time as it is only 5 minutes from my house, and nobody ever uses the place. Just sits there empty about 360 days of the year. I think this would be the ultimate location for BSoUT! It has all the features we would want; large green grass area surrounded by open fields, big covered pavilion, power & water (I think), close by motels & food & shops, only 15 minutes away from the big city, etc. Plus it is in a spectacular mountain setting that would make an incredible Utah signature backdrop. I think camping would be ok, as I know some do it during the balloon festival. Even if we just used the grass area to fly and camped in the field next to it. Getting permission to have an event here is the key. I think Wolf Creek Resort has filed chapter 11. I've tried contacting them but haven't found the right person to talk to yet. Still trying, and I'm keeping this option open as my #1 choice, and a very strong possibility for us. Here are some pics...
Last edited by like.2.fly; Nov 15, 2010 at 01:12 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:41 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,111 Posts
Quote:
...But seriously, the farm where we have the Civil War will be hard to beat. I would imagine rv's would not be a problem. If you are serious about it let me know what info is important and I will run it past the farm...
Jon, I sent you a PM with all the info. Thanks!
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:46 AM
Fly Cheap. Fly Hard. Fly Daily
USA, UT, Riverton
Joined Aug 2005
381 Posts
I'd love to see a site:
1. In Salt Lake County for close proximity to civilization and the airport for those who fly in.
2. Camping allowed on-site.
3. Restrooms not necessarily available, but no objection from the owner if we put a restroom there for a weekend or two a year.
4. As large as possible.
5. Far from houses and other buildings if possible (though 1 or two big buildings would be just fine, we can slope off 'em when the wind is right)
6. Within a twenty-minute drive of lodging and restaurants.
7. Within a 60-minute drive of Salt Lake Airport.
8. Plenty of grass (goes without saying), though we'll only be using perhaps the size of a football field for a landing zone.
9. Parking area, just some dirt off the road that isn't cultivated but right next to the grassy area (we don't want to park on the grass)

I think that's it, thanks Jon!
redgiki is offline Find More Posts by redgiki
Old Nov 15, 2010, 01:14 AM
Jeremy D Stott
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,822 Posts
Jon, Your'e too much... Now don't start turning this thread into an UnCivil war combat thrash talkin thread

Yes, 72 Mhz works great with DLG. I had no problems with 72... In fact the 72 Mhz antenna soldered onto my rudder wire, I just matched the length of the wire and removed that length from the antenna. It looked really clean. The 2.4 Mhz and carbon fuses looks a bit worse with whiskers sticking out of the sides, but then my 2.4 works great too.

Thanks for looking into the sod farms for us. You are the sod man!

I agree with not scheduling over the Civil war, but that time is random every time and we want to go for a regular date. I don't think it will ever be scheduled during a War. I personally would be sad to miss a war, but I don't think we'll take many from that huge crowd of combat pilots.
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
Old Nov 15, 2010, 01:42 AM
Jeremy D Stott
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,822 Posts
Election of a Utah DLG Chair Person

With so many decisions being made and so much input right now, I suggest we try and keep some order. I propose we elect a Chair that can make the final decision for official events and activities.

It seems like ideas and plans are spiraling and we have to keep voting. Input is great, but how can we make a final decision without someone to give the final say. There are some good people in this thread who have contributed much to the growth of DLG and we are super grateful and I don't want to hurt any feelings. I myself have disagreed with multiple people on multiple points, but that will always be. I need to suck it up if the group decides differently than I do, and always need to realize that we need to benefit the entire group and the growth of the sport. We are lucky to be growing as we are at this time and to receive so much recognition from our neighboring states. We really have a good chance of making this take off.

I think this person should have the most DLG experience and love for this sport. Someone who studies it incessantly and is dedicated 100%. Frankly, I can only think of one person who should be leading the group: MIKE (like.2.Fly). He has seemed to forsake every aspect of RC for DLG not to mention his real planes. He has also started each and every thread and recruited and encouraged so many.

Success in thermal flight requires careful thought and sensitivity to how the plane moves and reacts to the air around it... So should we be careful to each and every decision to the growth and success of our group. The wrong turn could easily take us out of that thermal and right back to the ground. Sounds like a lot of hot air, huh?... Lets help this group take flight and elect a chair.

In saying this I would like to nominate Mike as our Utah DLG Chair.

What say ye? Does anyone second the nomination?
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
Old Nov 15, 2010, 08:08 AM
Spins With Gliders
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Aug 2005
1,822 Posts
Speaking from afar...
for site selection...
1 - be sure to make a site decision with the long-term in mind... so we don't make the journey to a different field each year.
2 - The BSOUT will have the potential to grow greatly in size... make sure your site can ultimately handle upwards of 50 pilots.
3 - Many people like to camp on-field (think BSOA)... make sure your site will allow on-site camping and RVs.
4 - Real-time scoring is picking up... make sure your site has cell-phone access of reasonable quality.
djensen is offline Find More Posts by djensen