...and where do I buy "Mylar" sheet?
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2012, 03:32 PM
Fly, crash, repair, repeat....
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Sep 2011
324 Posts
Well, the maiden went pretty good for the first few tosses, was flying great and I was getting it up there pretty high and was enjoying it.

Then I came in for a landing, the nose dropped so I flared up the nose and caught it and when I grabbed it the tail hit the ground and broke the boom just behind the wings.

Hopefully I can get it fixed soon.

Thanks to Jim for coming out this morning and helping me getting the setup right, I had everything wrong and reversed and didnt have a clue what mode to use for launch, flying, and landing.
BlenderBoy is offline Find More Posts by BlenderBoy
Old Jun 30, 2012, 03:42 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
I got mine from ACP before, but I can't seem to find it on their website now. I've heard you can use drop cloth, too. You probably want something around 14 mil thick. How big of a piece do you need? I might have some I could give you if you can wait. I might be driving down to Murray on Tuesday night or Wednesday morning and could drop it off on the way or something.

Sorry to hear about the boom, Mike The good news is that it's totally repairable. Is the break behind the aft wing mount? How far aft? Pictures might help. I guarantee it's 100% repairable and the weight gain should be less than 5g.

Brandon
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Jun 30, 2012, 03:47 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,131 Posts
Broken booms are a super easy fix, so no worries. Just get it aligned and thin CA the crack back together, and sand smooth. Cut a piece of carbon fiber cloth (uni-directional or the small tight weave stuff) to wrap the boom with, overlapping the break at least 1/2" on both sides. Use 3M77 spray glue to lightly mist the cloth, and stick it to the boom. Rub or paint over the cloth to saturate it thoroughly with some laminating resin/epoxy (I like West System 105 resin and 206 hardener). Let it soak in good. Blot up all excess resin with paper towels or tissue. Try to get it as dry as possible. Then wrap tightly with VCR video tape, dull side (inside of tape) against the carbon, overlapping each wrap by about 1/2 the width of the tape. Let it sit for 8 hours or so, then peel off the tape. Let cure for at least 24 hours before flying. Sand smooth if there are any rough spots. Stronger than new and very little weight gain!
Old Jun 30, 2012, 03:53 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwill6 View Post
I got mine from ACP before, but I can't seem to find it on their website now. I've heard you can use drop cloth, too. You probably want something around 14 mil thick. How big of a piece do you need? I might have some I could give you if you can wait. I might be driving down to Murray on Tuesday night or Wednesday morning and could drop it off on the way or something.

Sorry to hear about the boom, Mike The good news is that it's totally repairable. Is the break behind the aft wing mount? How far aft? Pictures might help. I guarantee it's 100% repairable and the weight gain should be less than 5g.

Brandon
Polaris and Steig boom are both fixed. No problem.

Major Polaris wing delam is now the issue. Need to inject resin under the carbon and figure out a way to clamp the airfoil tight while it cures.

An 8" x 14" piece of mylar would probably suffice. I have some plastic drop cloth. Could one also use a piece of those flexible plastic notebook binders?
Old Jun 30, 2012, 04:23 PM
Joined Sep 2011
324 Posts
I will post a pic here in a little while.

Did you get my PM Brandon? I dont seeing it being sent in my sent items.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 04:48 PM
Joined Jun 2011
3,244 Posts
Mike M.: I don't think I have a piece that large. The plastic notebook binder would probably work as long as it's not too stiff to conform to the curvature of the wing. It might be good to test the release first before using it on the wing. In reality, you may not need something as thick as mylar, but I'm not sure. I know plastic sandwich bags will release nicely, but they really like to wrinkle.

Other Mike: I got a PM from you today and just now responded. My PM box was full after that, so if you sent another I didn't get it.

Brandon
Old Jun 30, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined Sep 2011
324 Posts
Heres the DLG. Its right behind the wing.

And the dirt nap my Velo 50 took afterwards.....not a good day for me lol.

Old Jun 30, 2012, 06:34 PM
Russ Young
United States, UT, South Jordan
Joined Mar 2006
1,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
I've got mylar that I used for bagging TD ships. The cut pieces are bigger than half of the Polaris wing. I've also got your easy-up. We could meet at Galena later this evening, or perhaps tomorrow, or Monday when we cross paths on the way to work.

Wax the mylars and polish a couple of times.
isoarthenland is offline Find More Posts by isoarthenland
Old Jun 30, 2012, 11:44 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Mike M. I've picked up syringes at the local farm & tack stores, I also use the thin disposable plastic cutting boards that come in a 3 pack at wal-mart for mylars. wax them good and it's right as rain.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Jun 30, 2012, 11:46 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Mike, sorry to see the Velo like that. Didn't Kenny's take a nap as well? rough day out there at the field. I was glad to help, hope the repairs go quickly.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Jun 30, 2012, 11:51 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,856 Posts
Well I maidened the new Polaris today along with the Stobel V2 (new wing) and repaired green Concept. They all flew well. It was windy when I maidened and I had a small servo issue with my Polaris so I only flew it a few times. I came home and fixed it then went back out tonight for about a 1/2 hour in the calm cool evening air and got the Polaris tuned in. She launches to the moon! Not yet sold on rudderless (I had some issues coming in for a tip catch) but she'll fly without one in New Mexico. The Concept repaired out at 9.7 oz. Not too bad and she still flies great. The new Stobel wing has breathed new life into that plane. With my heavy beaten up (scotch taped) stock tails she weighs 9.8 oz and is about 5 mm nose heavy. Once I change out the tails for the Swindels and get the CG back where it should be I'm hoping for sub 9.5 oz.

Mike, I don't have any spare mylar that large (all of mine is currently cut up for wings). But I used plastic drop cloth on Jim Gibson's Vandal and it finished out fine. He had a large area delamed (~6"x8") and I just wiped resin over the outside then wiped it off with paper towels and it appeared to stick to the core just fine.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Jul 01, 2012, 12:11 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch View Post
Well I maidened the new Polaris today along with the Stobel V2 (new wing) and repaired green Concept. They all flew well. It was windy when I maidened and I had a small servo issue with my Polaris so I only flew it a few times. I came home and fixed it then went back out tonight for about a 1/2 hour in the calm cool evening air and got the Polaris tuned in. She launches to the moon! Not yet sold on rudderless (I had some issues coming in for a tip catch) but she'll fly without one in New Mexico. The Concept repaired out at 9.7 oz. Not too bad and she still flies great. The new Stobel wing has breathed new life into that plane. With my heavy beaten up (scotch taped) stock tails she weighs 9.8 oz and is about 5 mm nose heavy. Once I change out the tails for the Swindels and get the CG back where it should be I'm hoping for sub 9.5 oz.

Mike, I don't have any spare mylar that large (all of mine is currently cut up for wings). But I used plastic drop cloth on Jim Gibson's Vandal and it finished out fine. He had a large area delamed (~6"x8") and I just wiped resin over the outside then wiped it off with paper towels and it appeared to stick to the core just fine.
Wow, I don't know how you are getting your Stobel V2 so light. Mine is finishing out about 20g heavier than that . I must have a heavy fuse layup or something.

How much does your Polaris weigh?

I doubt resin will penetrate the Polaris skin. Mine is resin rich and sealed up hard as glass, and then painted on parts of it. Everybody is recommending injection, and I found some nice vet syringes at IFA for only 39 cents each.

Now my question is how to clamp it hard enough while it sets. You said stiff foam. What kind of foam, and how stiff? Do you then just add the resin, sandwich the wing with plastic drop cloth, then the foam, then some hard boards, then use some big deep throated c-clamps or weights to press it together overnight?
Old Jul 01, 2012, 12:30 AM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,856 Posts
The Polaris is portly at 9.7 oz. I was hoping it would come in in the low 9 ozs, but nope.

That is how I would fix the wing. If you can't get clamps you could use weight (cinder blocks or something similar). It will take A LOT of weight.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Jul 01, 2012, 01:27 AM
Joined Jun 2011
3,244 Posts
The thought of using clamps on a wing scares me. I'd be terrified of putting a permanent warp in it. If others have done it, though, then maybe my fears aren't justified.