HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:04 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspawn78 View Post
Thanks Mike. Actually I live in West Jordan, so it works out good. Im in the middle of all the contests...
All good. West Jordan is still considered a Yank. Anything north of Point of the Mountain.

A DX7 will work ok to start out with, but just barely. I heard it has enough programming capability to do the very basics. But you will eventually find a few conveniences missing, and will want to upgrade. Good enough for now though.

TSOL: A "LeMonism" = TopSky Of Love, referring to the entry level TopSky DLG.

I don't know if the TopSky or Brandon's home brew will be more competitive. I'm guessing not a huge difference either way. However, the TopSky is a known commodity with a big following, and you can buy replacement parts. Brandon should be the one to fly them both and then judge...
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:08 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,097 Posts
ATTENTION TROOPS!

Looks Like Team Kick is gonna be making a pretty good show @ BSOC.

The Pimp flies into Denver Friday noonish. TVK, could you fetch him from the airport? I dont think we will make it by then?

So what is the plan. Since TGHPOUDLG wont answer his cell I have no idea what he is doing and when.

We had bounced around the idea of leaving Thursday night, which sounds great, but it adds 1 night of expenses.

I can leave anytime after work Thursday and we should have plenty of room in the van for everything.

Pimp, if you want, we could easily get your planes there and that way you wouldnt have to worry that the TSA has their way with them. Would suck to get there and find TSA did a cavity search on one of your girls....

So what up kids? I know AD is fine w/ whatever, TBM said he was fine with whatever, so its just the guy from up North we are waiting on.

Also, I have in the past made a priceline hotel booking for $45.00 the day of at a 3 star hotel. Has anyone locked up a room yet?

Cuz if there is a place we could use as a fallback and reserve and then cancel w/o penelty day of that would be a bonus then we are covered.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:20 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,111 Posts
I can leave any time, any day. Just tell me when to be at the Best Western in Coalville (exit 162), and I will be there, gear ready.

I have one room (2 beds) for two nights at Super8 in Henderson (9 miles from the field, $50.99 per night), which I can keep or cancel w/o penalty until Friday night at 6:00.

There, now you have heard from the abominable northern one.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:26 PM
Joined May 2002
17,097 Posts
OK kids, TANO has spoken, what do we want to do?

Sounds like we ought to get another room where Mike is as thats a good deal that could be beat, but its a nice insurance policy. 9 miles is "Close" I suspect. Mike is this a quick 9 miles or 30 minutes away? Just wondering as I hate driving!

PS, Yo AD, did you ever get a bill from that Toll Road last time we went to Denver?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:36 PM
Russ Young
United States, UT, South Jordan
Joined Mar 2006
1,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
ATTENTION TROOPS!

The Pimp flies into Denver Friday noonish. TVK, could you fetch him from the airport? I dont think we will make it by then?
99.98% chance I can get him. I can also take his planes if that would be best.
isoarthenland is offline Find More Posts by isoarthenland
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:38 PM
Never enough time to fly!
SLC, UT
Joined Sep 2006
1,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspawn78 View Post
Thanks Mike. Actually I live in West Jordan, so it works out good. Im in the middle of all the contests.

As far as the July contest goes, I will be in Moab for my birthday so it will have to be the August contest for my first appearance.

After throwing your DLG I was hooked, and I didnt even fly it! So I can see that I will be addicted already.

Thanks for the help everyone, I am set on a transmitter (I have a DX7, hope that will work)

What is this TSOL everyone is talking about? Or should I go with Brandons glider he is selling if it will be more competitive in the contests?
I had my TSOL on a DX7. I have programming instruction written by one of the Morris brothers from AZ. He is one of the best. I can supply you a copy if you would like it.

I just found the post again http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...25&postcount=3
and/or http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=dx+7
ecase is offline Find More Posts by ecase
Last edited by ecase; Jun 18, 2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:41 PM
Joined May 2002
17,097 Posts
Ummmm, wait a second, I was going to take the back bench seat out of our van and that would leave 4 captains chairs for peoples. The Pimp would be the 5th man. I could leave the back bench seat in and have 3 seat belts but then that make cargo in front and in back of back bench seat.

Would be a problem getting to and from hotel. Thoughts?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:41 PM
Fly, crash, repair, repeat....
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Sep 2011
324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isoarthenland View Post
Hey Demon-Mike

I live in South Jordan (Daybreak)...It will be great to have someone in my neck of the woods to fly with. Where in West Jordan are you?

TSOL?? That would be the TopSky of Love. The TopSky is a reasonably priced DLG that actually performs quite well and is a great plane to learn on.

Russ
I live right next to Gardner village off the Jordan river. I usually go flying at galena park though, with another Russ that flys helis lol.
BlenderBoy is offline Find More Posts by BlenderBoy
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:43 PM
Joined Sep 2011
324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
All good. West Jordan is still considered a Yank. Anything north of Point of the Mountain.

A DX7 will work ok to start out with, but just barely. I heard it has enough programming capability to do the very basics. But you will eventually find a few conveniences missing, and will want to upgrade. Good enough for now though.

TSOL: A "LeMonism" = TopSky Of Love, referring to the entry level TopSky DLG.

I don't know if the TopSky or Brandon's home brew will be more competitive. I'm guessing not a huge difference either way. However, the TopSky is a known commodity with a big following, and you can buy replacement parts. Brandon should be the one to fly them both and then judge...
Ok good to know. Guess I'll be getting my jr11x sooner then I anticipated, that should be a sufficient transmitter right?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:45 PM
Joined May 2002
17,097 Posts
If you are serious about DLG the Futaba that Evan is selling is way better for DLG than that JR.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:50 PM
Never enough time to fly!
SLC, UT
Joined Sep 2006
1,444 Posts
Quote:
If you are serious about DLG the Futaba that Evan is selling is way better for DLG than that JR.
This the one I am selling. Several of the guys here in Utah use it. I will make you a good deal. It already has the program that Finch uses in it.
http://www.futaba-rc.com/systems/futk8010.html
ecase is offline Find More Posts by ecase
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:53 PM
Joined Sep 2011
324 Posts
Yeah futaba are nice, but I have 5 helis with spektrum receivers and don't want to buy all new receivers and reprogram everything.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:55 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,111 Posts
Quote:
+1
If you are planning to buy new, get a Futaba 8FG (or better yet, Evan's used one). They rule! The Airtronics SD-10G is also suitable, but I prefer the rock solid Futaba FASST technology. The old JR 9303 is also a good find used, with a 2.4 ghz module. I haven't heard a word about about the JR 11x from the DLG community. Keep your Spektrum for the heli's. Those Rx's may not fit in a DLG anyway. I heard the 6255 is really the only appropriate Spektrum Rx for DLG.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 06:14 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,111 Posts
Quote:
OK kids, TANO has spoken, what do we want to do?

Sounds like we ought to get another room where Mike is as thats a good deal that could be beat, but its a nice insurance policy. 9 miles is "Close" I suspect. Mike is this a quick 9 miles or 30 minutes away? Just wondering as I hate driving!

PS, Yo AD, did you ever get a bill from that Toll Road last time we went to Denver?
Super8 is 9.9 miles and 18 minutes according to google maps, mostly freeway.
Just checked and rates are now 73.99. I guess I got a good deal booking way in advance.

...Just checked hotels.com and you can still get the Super8 for $59.99 through them.
Last edited by like.2.fly; Jun 18, 2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 07:31 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
I know there are a couple of guys flying DLG on the 11x system, so yes it is capable. With the high end composite ships with carbon fiber pods you have to get the antenna outside the pod, which is a PITA with the standard short antenna version RX's. Currently the only offering that is full range certified by Spektrum is the 6255.

I fly a JR XP9303 (72MHz model) with an Assan module. I also have a Spektrum module for all my heli's and non glider planks. It works out well but you can't always find them.

Demon-Mike, I will tell you that most people in the glider community have sworn off Spektrum due to past glitches and big $$ planes going in because of radio gear. I know they have been making improvements and changes with the DSM-X and then the newest offering which is the channel hopping technology that started out in Japan. I think that was DSM-J but they could have changed that as well. The bottom line is fly what YOU are comfortable with, having this knowledge going in. You wouldn't necessarily have to convert your entire fleet to a new brand unless you were going to sell the DX7 to help fund a new radio. I will most likely always have a Spektrum TX because I love their BNF micro's
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky