flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2010, 04:26 PM
Nampa, Idaho
Joined Jan 2003
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
I believe IHLGF at Poway is usually late April early May. That is the largest DLG contest in the west.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djensen View Post
...until BSOC finally hits its stride.
BSOI will take it all.
sherwoodski is offline Find More Posts by sherwoodski
Old Nov 13, 2010, 05:40 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Just got home and pulled my wing from the hot box. I must of had too much weight or let it shift as I was putting it on or taking it off. I had a big sandbag size dent in my wing . I have steamed it out and will have to let it dry until tomorrow afternoon before tackling the next spot that needs laminated. At this rate I'll be flying again in December . At least I'm learning a lot about repairs.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Nov 13, 2010, 06:08 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,125 Posts
Jim, you can be our bagged foam repair guru. We need one of those...

Jeremy and I had fun at BDO today. Gray, cold, & slightly breezy from the WNW; but there was still some lift. After sinking to 20 or 30 feet we could come back and catch slope lift off the back side of the Bob Barker building and climb back to launch height off it. You could stay up forever cruising that building if you wanted to.

I switched my Vandal over from a 400mAh NiMH to a 360mAh Lipo & regulator (Jeremy, the regulator is this one at Mountain Models HERE, Blue Arrow, 2 grams, $9.99). Had to add 7g of nose weight to balance but still shaved a few grams off the AUW. Flew for 1.5 hours and the batt was still going strong when I left. It's on the charger now, and we'll see how much it takes.

I discovered that you can't charge a lipo back through the regulator. I will have to rewire the switchjack so it sits between the regulator and battery. Either that or don't charge through the jack and untape the canopy every time, which is a pain on the Vandal. But it will be a pain to rewire too.
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Last edited by like.2.fly; Nov 13, 2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 06:42 PM
I sink, therefore I am...
United States, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Jun 2009
527 Posts
Quote:
I switched my Vandal over from a 400mAh NiMH to a 360mAh Lipo & regulator
Mike,
Everything that I've read about LIPOs indicates that you don't want to charge them in the model anyway. LIPOs can explode if they're damaged an anyway, when/if they do, they take the front end of your plane with them. FWIW.

Sam
espe is online now Find More Posts by espe
Old Nov 13, 2010, 07:56 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redgiki View Post
...DLG speed trials, limbo contests, removable towhooks for up-start launches, mini-aerotow...
...What about installing lighting on some of our DLGs or slopers and having some night-flying glider action? The thermals will suck at night but the fun factor would be off-the-charts...
Ummm... how about just some nice regular F3K tasks instead?

Your suggestions are creative and fun; perfect for a UTE RC club electric or foamie combat fun-fly. Sorry for being a killjoy here, and I don't mean to squelch your great ideas Matt. But this somehow just doesn't feel like it fits in with the spirit of DLG. At least not for our monthly local contests, which is what we are trying to plan here. I hope others will chime in to either agree or disagree with me on this (I can take the rejection ).

OK, you may brand me a "purist", but these activities would make me feel like I was somehow corrupting the the dignity of the sport . Like asking a fly-fisherman to fish with worms. Handlaunch is about quiet, peaceful, serene, being one with nature, reading air, improving skills & techniques, the thrill of using only my arm and the sun to power my flight. Take those away and it looses most of what attracted me to it in the first place. Plus I don't think I want to risk my expensive DLGs in a limbo contest or on an aero-tow or high-start

The whole point of our monthly contest idea is to practice flying and scoring the F3K tasks, and practice running a contest in general so we can be well prepared to host BSoUT in September, and make it a class act.

So what does everyone else think? Am I being a party pooper?
Last edited by like.2.fly; Nov 13, 2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 07:58 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by espe View Post
Mike,
Everything that I've read about LIPOs indicates that you don't want to charge them in the model anyway. LIPOs can explode if they're damaged an anyway, when/if they do, they take the front end of your plane with them. FWIW.

Sam
Good point Sam.

Do any of you guys charge LiPo's in your planes? If not then I will probably switch back to NiMH because removal for each charge is not very practical with the Vandal.
Last edited by like.2.fly; Nov 13, 2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 08:12 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
I, and a number of the other Chandler bowl guys charge our lipos in the planes, though most of us don't use switchjacks.

I might be mistaken, but I believe the PLD regulators allow you to charge through the built in switchjacks.
carlsoti is online now Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Nov 13, 2010, 08:38 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,844 Posts
The hazards of lipos are a bit over hyped, imo. I charge lipos in my gliders all the time. Just remember that they're lipo and not NiMH when you set up the charger (don't ask).

I'd be in favor of keeping with pure F3K tasks.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Nov 13, 2010, 08:39 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,844 Posts
https://sites.google.com/site/cuprap...cing-resources is how I do my switch jacks.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Nov 13, 2010, 09:30 PM
The ground's the limit.
Boulder, CO Area
Joined Aug 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
Good point Sam.

Do any of you guys charge LiPo's in your planes?
Yes, but I stay close by, just in case.

Shawn
shawnc is offline Find More Posts by shawnc
Old Nov 13, 2010, 09:46 PM
Joined Jun 2009
875 Posts
yes thru the switch jack
Storm51 is offline Find More Posts by Storm51
Old Nov 14, 2010, 01:30 AM
Jeremy D Stott
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,822 Posts
Lipos:

I charge all of them in my planes and through the switch jack. They are too hard to get to if I took hem out every time. Just make sure your settings, connections etc. Are all correct.... In other words, be careful.

DLG tasks vs. Games:

I'd rather save limbo, lights, another fun stuff for my foamies and combat wings and would coordinate these activities in the county and Uncivil war threads. VI DLG to DLG and doing these other things is a little nerve wracking with such an expensive plane.

BSOUT:

I think we should committee with most of the Utah DLGers to figure out a date and take into account the suggestions from the experienced coordinators from the other states.

Since none of us have dlg event planning experience we should accept Daves offer to help us this first time and mentor us and then Matt and Mike could learn how for future events.

We should carefully plan every aspect of this event and consider many things before making any final decicsions. If we get into the Blue Skies group of competitions, we'll need to be very professional.
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
Last edited by flyingj; Nov 14, 2010 at 01:39 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 01:49 PM
Full disclosure, not sponsored
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingj View Post
If we get into the Blue Skies group of competitions, we'll need to be very professional.
Well, I see the first problem with your plans!!!!!
JONBOYLEMON is online now Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Nov 14, 2010, 02:04 PM
Full disclosure, not sponsored
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,129 Posts
PS Make sure your plans do not interfere with our next worship services!!!!!! Come "Prey" with us.

You don't want Father Leroy Smack Daddy coming down on you!!!!

http://www.uncivilwar.org/

4th Saturday in September would be bad as well.
JONBOYLEMON is online now Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON