Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 08, 2011, 10:32 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,956 Posts
Here are my thoughts, based on the general feeling I'm getting from the group, and on my experience flying yesterday in similar conditions... In the dead of winter we should probably do our best to have our official contests on bright sunny days. Even if temps are cold the sun makes it tolerable, and the soaring conditions can be good, making for an enjoyable time. Today is solid overcast, patchy fog, sub-freezing, and fast deteriorating as a storm front approaches. I'm getting the feeling that most of you are probably having similar thoughts, especially the guys down south that have to travel a ways to get here. I vote to postpone the "official" contest for a better day. However, I'm still going to be at BDO at 11:00 to fly, and am bringing the PA system for a test run. Whoever wants to show up, we will have a little mock contest, practice flying some tasks, etc. Matt, don't feel obligated to drive all the way up here with your laptop to score if you don't feel it's worth the effort. But all are certainly welcome to come if they want. I will have my netbook with the scoring program on it if we want to use it. If enough guys show then we can call it a contest! Bring some hand warmers and hot chocolate.

Mike
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2011, 10:33 AM
Fly Cheap. Fly Hard. Fly Daily
USA, UT, Riverton
Joined Aug 2005
381 Posts
Not gonna make it

Guys,

I am going to wimp out today. The temperature feels like 13F outside right now (and I've never enjoyed flying in the cold), it's foggy again (though that should clear by noon), and snow will be flurrying off and on all day. Then I started packing my stuff in my car to find that driving home last night from Utah County on I-15 I apparently partially ripped off a portion of my car's undercarriage, and it's dragging on the pavement when I drive.

To top it all off, if I do break out the baling wire and fix the undercarriage to make it today, I have an hour of driving like below to look forward to each way.

Those who do make it -- probably those most local to BDO -- hope you have fun! I look forward to flying with you next time.

--Matt
redgiki is offline Find More Posts by redgiki
Old Jan 08, 2011, 10:36 AM
Fly Cheap. Fly Hard. Fly Daily
USA, UT, Riverton
Joined Aug 2005
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
Today is solid overcast, patchy fog, sub-freezing, and fast deteriorating as a storm front approaches...Matt, don't feel obligated to drive all the way up here with your laptop to score if you don't feel it's worth the effort.
Wow. You literally read my mind. Thanks for giving me the "out" I was in the process of taking It's a weight off my shoulders 'cuz I was feeling all guilty & stuff.

--Matt
redgiki is offline Find More Posts by redgiki
Old Jan 08, 2011, 10:43 AM
The Real J
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,817 Posts
Its foggy. I might come for a casual fly.
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
Old Jan 08, 2011, 11:01 AM
The Real J
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,817 Posts
Uhh.... Sun's coming out... I see blue skies and sun on the ground... I don't know if it is clearing up for the day up here, but it is getting pretty bright outside.
Old Jan 08, 2011, 11:02 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,956 Posts
The fog actually isn't too bad, and should dissipate even more by noon. Some sun is actually peeking through the clouds on these web cams... I'll be there.
Old Jan 08, 2011, 11:06 AM
The Real J
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,817 Posts
pic on 12th and Wall a few blocks away

The Real J
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,817 Posts
...Nice pic mike
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,956 Posts
Ha! Beat you to it J.
Old Jan 08, 2011, 11:07 AM
The Real J
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,817 Posts
Now the sky is super blue up here an the bench. Check the 12th and Wall Weather cam on KSL as things progress.
Old Jan 08, 2011, 11:11 AM
What was I looking for??
Harrisville Utah
Joined Nov 2007
166 Posts
At the WCF the sun is trying to peek through,about 50 50.
no wind,
28 deg. and climing.
Big Weed is offline Find More Posts by Big Weed
Old Jan 08, 2011, 04:57 PM
The Real J
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,817 Posts
Great day today guys. Cold and foggy, but we got some great flights in.
Old Jan 08, 2011, 06:41 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,198 Posts
It would've been an even better day if I didn't have to do repairs to both ships . Still amazes me we found lift out there early on.

Here are my pic's from today.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Jan 08, 2011, 08:45 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,956 Posts
We have video of today. Will do some editing tonight. No, sorry Jim, I'm not taking out the bumbled catches. That's some of the best footage
Will upload soon.
Old Jan 09, 2011, 02:02 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,956 Posts
Here you go. The 4 of us had a good time today (er, yesterday). Even had some blue sky and a little sun early on before it clouded over. But fog was no issue, and we found lift. Tested out the PA system and sound files playlist, and everything worked great. We played the Star Spangle Banner at about 3/4 volume and it hurt your ears if you were standing too close to the speakers. I think they probably heard it in Brigham City. Should be all set for our next contest.

DLG Fun 01/08/2011 Ogden UT (2 min 51 sec)