HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2011, 04:41 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,109 Posts
I had a fantastic lunch time flying session today at WSUD! Bright sun, little breeze, and 26 degrees works just fine. There is only about an inch of crusty snow on the ground. No problem. Stayed comfortable without too much heavy clothing. Lift was abundant, and I had a great time dialing in my Vandal after replacing the vert fin/rudder with a new one I made, replacing all the pull/pull strings, relaminating the blade side wingtip that was getting soft, re-seating the horiz stab, and installing a new Rx for my Futaba 8FG system. That Vandal is a sweetheart. Man it flies good. If Saturday is anything like today then we should definitely go for it either at WSUD or BDO. Some forecasts are saying the storm won't get here until late Saturday or early Sunday.

We need one more good contest field somewhere between BDO on the north and the sod farm on the south. Salt Lake airport is almost exactly in the middle. If we could find a spot near the airport (but at least 3 miles away) it would be a perfect middle ground for everybody coming from both ends of the Wasatch front. In that general area, anything south of 2100 S, or west of 7200 W, or east of I-15 are far enough away. Looking at Google Earth there are some good possibilities around the Stonebridge Golf Course area (2500 S. and west of Bangerter). For future possibilities, someone down there should check out these locations (see attached image). I especially like the looks of that Monticello Academy school on about 2700 S Corporate Park Drive (4800W), and the surrounding area.
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2011, 04:55 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
Quick question for you 9303 fellers, any way to get the timer button to act as the launch button???
If you mean as a momentary switch, there is how I did it. Copied out of the forums somewhere.

Bob Parks
bbbp is online now Find More Posts by bbbp
Last edited by bbbp; Dec 01, 2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 05:09 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
... someone down there should check out these locations (see attached image). I especially like the looks of that Monticello Academy school on about 2700 S Corporate Park Drive (4800W), and the surrounding area.
I could probably check them out on Friday.

Glad you got some flying in today, it still felt pretty cold here when I met up with Jon.
Fishjunky is online now Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Jan 05, 2011, 05:46 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbp View Post
If you mean as a momentary switch, there is how I did it. Copied out of the forums somewhere.

Bob Parks
Thanks, Lets hope I can figure out what the heck they are talking about tonight when I get home!!!!
JONBOYLEMON is online now Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Jan 05, 2011, 07:46 PM
I land when i CFIT!
USA, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2007
877 Posts
Hey fellas,
I am looking at getting more involved in DLG.

Do any of you have a decent DLG, rtf, or close to it, that you would be interested in selling?

PM if you do please.

Thanks, Colby
flytrip is online now Find More Posts by flytrip
Old Jan 05, 2011, 08:17 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,308 Posts
Wow, here we are in AZ, thinking DLG was dead to the north of us. If things work out well, BSOUT could be one helluva inaugural contest!
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Jan 05, 2011, 08:28 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flytrip View Post
Hey fellas,

Do any of you have a decent DLG, rtf, or close to it, that you would be interested in selling?

PM if you do please.

Thanks, Colby
Welcome to the group Colby! Are you left handed by any chance? I'm sure we can find something or someway to help get you setup.

-Jim
Fishjunky is online now Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Jan 05, 2011, 08:36 PM
excelling at mediocrity
Franktown, CO. USA
Joined Mar 2009
3,155 Posts
Quote:
Hey fellas,

PM if you do please.

Thanks, Colby
There seems to be some very fertile DLG ground in Utah... they're falling out of the trees.

Welcome Colby. You have chosen the righteous path.

John (Team Colorado)
gopherhunter is online now Find More Posts by gopherhunter
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2011, 08:40 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,803 Posts
Hi Colby, glad you're here... at least there'll be someone else besides me looking for a slope while flinging the glider.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Jan 05, 2011, 08:51 PM
I land when i CFIT!
USA, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2007
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishjunky View Post
Welcome to the group Colby! Are you left handed by any chance? I'm sure we can find something or someway to help get you setup.

-Jim
Thanks for the welcome guys. I am right handed, and my budget is about $500.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 08:52 PM
I land when i CFIT!
USA, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2007
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch View Post
Hi Colby, glad you're here... at least there'll be someone else besides me looking for a slope while flinging the glider.
Yep, gotta keep entertained during all this high pressure!
Old Jan 05, 2011, 10:18 PM
United States, WY, Gillette
Joined Oct 2008
158 Posts
liketofly

hey im not getin to far here in wy.but i just threwup a challenge.i cant hardly see why anyone who has tried this would not get hooked!!it is a real challenge and way harder than it looks.got any ideas on how to stirup these guys.im sure you all know lee at crashtest hobby,hes sure got people goin.i mentioned full contact combat to the club here and it almost went over like an aggfart but a young guy chimed in and i think there goin to doit.i mention dlg or gliders and its as popular as h2s.ohwell its somethin i can do by myself if i haveto.and i do enjoy the quiet.just the whosh of the wing now and then.bought an alula yesterday.well thats enough rant.anyone got any pointers to stir them up???? bob ratlm2540@msn.com
ratlm is offline Find More Posts by ratlm
Old Jan 06, 2011, 12:47 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratlm View Post
hey im not getin to far here in wy.but i just threwup a challenge.i cant hardly see why anyone who has tried this would not get hooked!!it is a real challenge and way harder than it looks.got any ideas on how to stirup these guys.im sure you all know lee at crashtest hobby,hes sure got people goin.i mentioned full contact combat to the club here and it almost went over like an aggfart but a young guy chimed in and i think there goin to doit.i mention dlg or gliders and its as popular as h2s.ohwell its somethin i can do by myself if i haveto.and i do enjoy the quiet.just the whosh of the wing now and then.bought an alula yesterday.well thats enough rant.anyone got any pointers to stir them up???? bob ratlm2540@msn.com
Get some of your friends out to witness DLG contest, or at least a small group of guys flying. It will totally blow them away when they see what good planes in the hands of good pilots can do.
Old Jan 06, 2011, 12:53 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,109 Posts
Quote:
Hey fellas,

PM if you do please.

Thanks, Colby
Hey Colby, welcome! We are always on the lookout for new recruits, and will help all we can.
Old Jan 06, 2011, 01:36 AM
Cottonwood Heights
Joined Jul 2005
168 Posts
Should I buy this?

Local Utah guys---
I'm local, trying to get into dlg....which means I may be showing up asking you guys for help. Hope that's ok.

I found a used Blaster 2 which appears to be pretty clean, with servos, no rx, shortened fuse. Couple repairs but nothing too unsightly.

Is this an ok place to start? Any input is appreciated. How much is too much to pay?

Mike
thecirque is offline Find More Posts by thecirque
Last edited by thecirque; Jan 06, 2011 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Spelling