HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2011, 10:14 AM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,046 Posts
I'm just gonna set it at 1/2 throttle and point the nose up at about 20 degrees to match the air temps. If it is 30 degrees out when I launch I will point the nose up 30 degrees. Its important to have symetry in degrees. Cant wait for summer and a 90 degree launch!!!!
JONBOYLEMON is online now Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2011, 11:04 AM
Jeremy D Stott
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,822 Posts
St. George DLG "Flip the Bird" Competition - 12th of March?

When are we having the St. George Fly-in? Is it a Saturday only event and if so can we plan for the 12th of March?
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
Old Jan 04, 2011, 11:19 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingj View Post
When are we having the St. George Fly-in? Is it a Saturday only event and if so can we plan for the 12th of March?
We have been planning it for Saturday, March 19th.
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Jan 04, 2011, 11:21 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Quote:
Aren't we jumping the gun a bit? Where are we holding the fly-in this weekend? What time are we starting? How many are going to be there?
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Jan 04, 2011, 11:50 AM
Jeremy D Stott
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,822 Posts
Nope. I'm not jumping the gun. I need to get the condo reserved and I wasn't sure what day it was. I'll check to see if the condo is open on the 19th.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 11:54 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Quote:
Nope. I'm not jumping the gun. I need to get the condo reserved and I wasn't sure what day it was. I'll check to see if the condo is open on the 19th.
Well in that case...are you going to have extra room?
Old Jan 04, 2011, 11:57 AM
Jeremy D Stott
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,822 Posts
Nope the condo is full on the 19th. I would prefer the 12th as I didn't think any time was set yet, but if most want the 19th then something might open up.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 11:59 AM
Jeremy D Stott
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,822 Posts
Extra room? Possibly. It depends on if the family goes with me or not. I might be able to book another room but I'm not sure if they let me have two rooms at the same time on my account. I could check though.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 12:47 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,072 Posts
Quote:
Nope the condo is full on the 19th. I would prefer the 12th as I didn't think any time was set yet, but if most want the 19th then something might open up.
We picked March 19th because it seemed to be in the middle of all the spring breaks for Utah colleges (See posts #182 - #186 in this thread). Sam has already booked the St. James Wash field for that day with the city. But other than that, the date is not set in stone yet, nor is the exact location. The wash is muddy right now, and may still be that way in March due to expected biblical spring runoff (snow pack down there is currently 298% of normal). Wet weather could also keep it messy. Sam is still looking for better field options. We could move the date if necessary, and we never took a vote. The 19th just sounded good to me as it is a full month after the President's Day fly-in, better chance of warmer weather by then, school breaks, etc.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 01:36 PM
Jeremy D Stott
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,822 Posts
No problem. I'll try and book the 19th.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 02:07 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishjunky View Post
Aren't we jumping the gun a bit? Where are we holding the fly-in this weekend? What time are we starting? How many are going to be there?
Start time 11:00 AM. Location either sod farm or BDO depending on the snow situation. Is there still 2 feet of snow at the sod farm? BDO now has some snow on the ground, but not deep. What's the consensus?

At my last count we had 6 guys committed (and a couple of maybes). 3 from Weber/Davis and 3 from SL.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 02:16 PM
Joined May 2002
17,046 Posts
The Topsky of Love FLIES!!!!!!!! And flies well. I hit LVC on the first climbout and panicked but other than that it was mostly un eventful. 6" of snow makes for less than secure footing though. Also I think I am going to dremel out the throwing peg as that wing is noticably heavier and required a descent aileron deflection to keep wings level. Might try the blade as well if its lighter. Now I just need to get the real programing done. I also have WAY too much throws!!!! Even for 3D flight I have ample.

It was 24 @ lunch today so I launched it @ 24 degress and it seemed PERFECTish!!!

I think I am gonna enjoy this bird!!!

Still a descent amount of snow @ the farm and Saturday looks el crappytan weather wise.

PS on crappy botched landings 6" of snow is good........

Also every flight had different trim as each landing got a little more snow somewhere and so it is less than dialed in.
Last edited by JONBOYLEMON; Jan 04, 2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 02:33 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Glad to hear the maiden went well! Weather looks iffy up here on Saturday as well, but we have less snow. My vote is for BDO. Looks to be 10mph winds and 90% cloud cover.

What say ye?
Old Jan 04, 2011, 02:45 PM
Joined May 2002
17,046 Posts
No way I could make a Northland flip fest. I have meetings Saturday morning that will go to 10:00 ish. Plus after freezing my hands off today, I am good to wait for a little warmer weather till I fly again. MAN IT WAS COLD!!!!!

PS Thanks for the bird Jim. Worked out to be a great way for me to dabble in this DLG crap.......
Old Jan 04, 2011, 03:12 PM
Always Twirling for Freedom!
Utah, planet earth
Joined Mar 2009
815 Posts
I'm hoping I can still make it Saturday. My surgery is scheduled for Thursday morning. Jon, do you still have the dvds? I've got some down time headed my way.
Extremeace is offline Find More Posts by Extremeace