HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2012, 11:47 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,228 Posts
Mike, is there a day later this week that I could come down and fly with you? And would you be willing to meet me half way, like say Brigham City?

Brandon
bwill6 is online now Find More Posts by bwill6
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2012, 11:49 AM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,051 Posts
The Bird Man. But DBA might be better.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Jan 03, 2012, 11:55 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwill6 View Post
Mike, is there a day later this week that I could come down and fly with you? And would you be willing to meet me half way, like say Brigham City?

Brandon
Sure!
I don't know where to fly in Brigham City though. The other challenge with that location during the week is that I work in Mtn Green, which is in the opposite direction. BC is definitely out of my lunch break driving range. I can fly most any weekday during the noon hour, for an hour, but it has to be at either Kent Smith park in Mtn Green, or WSUD in Layton, or BDO in Ogden (see post #1 for these locations). Other than that I could certainly meet somewhere on Saturday.
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Jan 03, 2012, 11:57 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,228 Posts
I'll look for a place we can fly in or around Brigham on Saturday and I'll let you know what I come up with!
bwill6 is online now Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Jan 03, 2012, 02:12 PM
Soar Tow 2
West Jordan Utah
Joined Jul 2006
370 Posts
Yes I listen to you guys here, it gives me a good laugh at the end of the day, and just for you Jon I will not only put some strips on the bottom of the wing I will make them big arrows so there will be no problem telling the direction of flight. as a hint canards have the tail in front.

Mike
mwgib123 is offline Find More Posts by mwgib123
Old Jan 03, 2012, 03:15 PM
Flying the point of the mtn.
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
466 Posts
Flyingj,
Let's just say the Salonit is not competitive worthy out of the box in my opinion. It's a great plane and has the ability to be a fantastic plane but a tremendous amount of work rebuilding the wing is required for it to be in the ballpark of competition planes at near the same price.

Out of the box, a Stobel flies twice as high with my swing. It was a lesson learned in prototype planes. I did so much work getting the Salonit to be reliable (wing is a bit weak near the peg), that I felt like I should be building my own wings.. seriously thought of doing it.

"burned" might be a little overkill. Disappointed is more like it. It's a great plane now, still not really a primary plane for competition but for training, learning or just having a great time, it rocks. And man is it sexy.
bchristensen is offline Find More Posts by bchristensen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Videos
Old Jan 03, 2012, 03:17 PM
Jeremy D Stott
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,822 Posts
I thought you were talking about the Stobel as I knew you purchased one near the same time. I love that Stobel.
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
Old Jan 03, 2012, 03:24 PM
Joined May 2002
17,051 Posts
And as an added bonus you can step on the wing and still fly her!
Old Jan 03, 2012, 06:34 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
I wouldn't recommend that

Had some great air today with TBM. Loving the Stobel, but better start flying the beaters during the week.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Jan 03, 2012, 09:06 PM
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
466 Posts
no. not talking about the Stobel. Definitely not. I'm looking for another plane and I am going to compare it to the Stobel. If it is in the same ballpark, I'll consider it. If I can't find one I really like, I'll just get another Stobel but what's the fun in that?

Having two of the same plane is like two of the same car. Which one do you drive today - the red one or the red one? Well, if the Stobel is a BMW 6 series, the other plane needs to be an Aston Martin in my opinion. Looking for an Aston Martin at the moment.

I've got three people interested in DLG. I'm going to start taking them out at Lunch to throw planes. They'll be looking for a good "used" deal to get some practice in. does anyone have anything decent they want to sell off before I tell them where to go look?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2012, 09:36 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchristensen View Post
no. not talking about the Stobel. Definitely not. I'm looking for another plane and I am going to compare it to the Stobel. If it is in the same ballpark, I'll consider it. If I can't find one I really like, I'll just get another Stobel but what's the fun in that?

Having two of the same plane is like two of the same car. Which one do you drive today - the red one or the red one? Well, if the Stobel is a BMW 6 series, the other plane needs to be an Aston Martin in my opinion. Looking for an Aston Martin at the moment.

I've got three people interested in DLG. I'm going to start taking them out at Lunch to throw planes. They'll be looking for a good "used" deal to get some practice in. does anyone have anything decent they want to sell off before I tell them where to go look?
Brian, I think the Concept X2 might be the closest to what you are describing. It just doesn't get any better or any prettier than that. But don't expect it to perform a ton better than the Stobel. You're already flying one of the highest performing airframes available. Concept might be prettier, a little higher build quality, and maybe hang slightly longer in dead air; but that's about the extent of the notiecable difference. Problem is the Concept is never readily available at the drop of a hat (none of the best ones are). You'll have to get on a waiting list for a new one.

Excellent news on the new recruits! I love it when people put forth an effort to share this great hobby with others. As for planes, I have a nearly new Vandal I will sell (jonesprototypes.com), if any of them are interested in it. It's a high performance plane (not quite a Stobel, but not far off), and still real forgiving and easy to fly. See post #8143. It would be a heck of a nice way to start out with a great plane, ready to fly, although about twice the cost of a TopSky.
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Jan 03, 2012, 10:16 PM
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
466 Posts
Galena Park at noon tomorrow (Wednesday) if anyone is interested. I'm taking a couple people out to show them the sport (and I need a thrower until my knee is better!). It would be fun to have someone else there to at least give some validation to my obsession.

I'll check out the Concept. Who makes it?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2012, 10:24 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Brian, I have some lesser priced used planes but they are currently setup for lefty throwing. They can be easily converted, in fact two of them started out right handed.

1. Light Hawk V1
2. Salonit with Swindell tailset
3. Vandal
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Jan 03, 2012, 10:34 PM
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
466 Posts
PM'd ya..
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2012, 10:37 PM
Joined May 2002
17,051 Posts
See you at Galena! High noon.`

YO AD, THIS IS A POST YOU OUGHT TO BE AWARE OF!