HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2011, 06:10 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Tis the season for building Citrus. Just do it!

I'm assembling an Adrenaline Rush from Stevens Aeromodels and am about to endeavor a repair on a powered glider.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2011, 07:23 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,228 Posts
As soon as this one's done (very close) I've already got plans for a winter build I've had a couple of design ideas floating in my head for a while now and I'm planning to try one of them out. I'd say I enjoy building almost as much as i enjoy flying! I remember when I was 14 building a Guillows Arrow rubber powered kit. Maybe I'll pull it out of storage and repair it when I've got a little time this winter

Brandon
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Dec 06, 2011, 07:39 PM
Russ Young
United States, UT, South Jordan
Joined Mar 2006
1,168 Posts
I may have to do some winter building too...ships Saturday
isoarthenland is offline Find More Posts by isoarthenland
Old Dec 06, 2011, 08:39 PM
United States, UT, Lehi
Joined Nov 2004
159 Posts
Anyone ever looked at the "Project Rays" Manta thread by Geode? I had Dave at DPC Models import the plans into CAD and lazer cut me a set of parts. Thought I'd throw it together this winter for fun and use it as a replacement ship. Pretty sweet looking and sounds like a good flyer too. Modified AG4x airfoils built up D box construction.
If anyone has the hankering to build something Dave has the parts file and will probably cut you a fresh set of parts for less than $30 shipped. Just got mine today. Will post pics if anyone is interested.

Chris
Baumer is offline Find More Posts by Baumer
Old Dec 06, 2011, 08:42 PM
A different attitude to RC
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
2,715 Posts
Jon suggested an unofficial mini contest this Saturday. He said we could use the timer app and test it some more

I now have four timers to loan out, so let do it! If anyone would like to join us, please do. Venue to be decided...
extremewing is offline Find More Posts by extremewing
Old Dec 06, 2011, 08:52 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,228 Posts
From what I've read it's indeed a great flyer (and pretty dang good-lookin', if I do say so myself). I understand it won't hold up to a full power launch though. I'd add carbon to the spar caps to help with that. I could be wrong, though. Also, reading the last page of that thread it looks like he's MIA. Perhaps you know the secret to contacting him?

Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baumer View Post
Anyone ever looked at the "Project Rays" Manta thread by Geode? I had Dave at DPC Models import the plans into CAD and lazer cut me a set of parts. Thought I'd throw it together this winter for fun and use it as a replacement ship. Pretty sweet looking and sounds like a good flyer too. Modified AG4x airfoils built up D box construction.
If anyone has the hankering to build something Dave has the parts file and will probably cut you a fresh set of parts for less than $30 shipped. Just got mine today. Will post pics if anyone is interested.

Chris
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Dec 06, 2011, 08:57 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremewing View Post
Jon suggested an unofficial mini contest this Saturday. He said we could use the timer app and test it some more

I now have four timers to loan out, so let do it! If anyone would like to join us, please do. Venue to be decided...
Count me in. Why unofficial? And what does unofficial mean?
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Dec 06, 2011, 08:58 PM
Must Luv DLG
USA, CO, Golden
Joined Jul 2010
1,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch View Post
since I'm now an AMA certified CD we could sanction a few (or all?) of our monthly contests as TS events similar to what AZ and CO are doing. What do you guys think of this?
Congratulations Jon.

I encourage you to sanction your local contests (or at least some), depending on what your pocket books can handle. I think it's still $25 a pop, and remember that you get an AMA discount off your dues for running a contest.

I don't want to steal anyone's Thunder, but there are some new proposals (yet unannounced) about TS qualifications, and flying in Sanctioned contests is one of the important elements.

Best wishes
Launch-1 is online now Find More Posts by Launch-1
Old Dec 06, 2011, 09:03 PM
United States, UT, Lehi
Joined Nov 2004
159 Posts
Yea, Geode seems to have dissapeared. However, there is a post of an unlocked PDF file of the plans somewhere in that thread. I have a copy of it if you want to shoot me a PM with your email address. You can print it out in Adobe in as a tiled printing and tape it together to get a full size set. I can also give you Dave's email and he will send you out a set of lazer cut parts....pretty easy.
I am new to DLG so you may be right about the strength of the wing, however, according to several posts it is plenty strong as designed. There have been a few that have added cf to the spar but many who said it wasn't needed and just added weight. Who knows....either way it will be fun to build and fling around.
Baumer is offline Find More Posts by Baumer
Old Dec 06, 2011, 09:06 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,051 Posts
AD sign me up for some app testing.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Dec 06, 2011, 10:49 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,075 Posts
I will volunteer for test duty this weekend as well . Heck, we might as well make it "official" and score it. Our last club contest of 2011. WSUD or Jon's girlfriend's place?
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Dec 06, 2011, 11:17 PM
Joined May 2002
17,051 Posts
Galena for a few hours is the best I can do. If we did it @ AD I could go longer.

Let me know, I will try and make whatever, but WSU would be real tough.

I will be flippin @ my gf's place over lunch tomorrow.
Old Dec 06, 2011, 11:42 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,075 Posts
Sorry we can't have them all in your back yard Jon!

9 contests in northern Utah this year and 6 of them have been in Utah county. Isn't that already double their share? I always envisioned this to be equally divided between Utah, Salt Lake, and Weber/Davis counties. Everyone has family and/or other commitments, and it's always a sacrifice for someone to travel a bit. But let's be fair. We've had 2 in Weber/Davis, and only 1 in Salt Lake. I'd say it's Salt Lake's turn. But I'll show up anywhere it happens.
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Dec 06, 2011, 11:43 PM
Russ Young
United States, UT, South Jordan
Joined Mar 2006
1,168 Posts
I'm a definite maybe for Sat. What time range are we talking? Galena would be nice for me.
isoarthenland is offline Find More Posts by isoarthenland
Old Dec 07, 2011, 12:15 AM
Joined May 2002
17,051 Posts
Just sayin what I can and cant do. I will try and make it to wherever & whatever we do though.