Joined Nov 2004
4,820 Posts
hilarious!
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2011, 06:10 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,444 Posts
Just though I'd chime in on the Aurora-9 question.

I was able to pick up that Aurora-9 for sale at the Blue Skies in Utah, and I am glad I did. All my DLGs are flying with it, now. I use the Optima-6 receivers, no problem. I have removed the BODA on all my DLG antennas, to save space and weight. I have experienced no apparent loss of signal or capacity. In one glider, I removed the receiver case - that allowed me to place both the battery and receiver further up front, eliminating nose ballast.

I picked up two of the Minima-6Es, but have not yet tried them. I still need the update device for the proper transmitter software. They are smaller, but next time, I'd get the Optima-6 Lite. The Optima-6 Lite is narrower.

I moved the momentary switch from left to right - took about twenty minutes, most of that was getting the case back together. The antenna sticks out a collar on the back, but is threaded on a bolt in the front. There is some jiggling and fiddling to get things to fit once more.

Today, I bought a spring at the hardware store, and now my left gimbal (the "throttle") is spring-loaded to full forward.

None of my mods affect the warranty, I am told.

So:
Left momentary: launch pre-set.
Left 3-position switch: modes (speed/launch, cruise, thermal).
Left gimbal: flaps and rudder.
Right gimbal: elevator and ailerons.

When flying, the grips are nice and the size feels smaller than my EVO. The sticks are smooth. The two switches I use for DLG are both close to my left index finger. Adjustments and programming are a matter of tapping the screen untilo you see what you want, then return-return to be ready to fly.

I got to fly a Futaba 8 back when I was considering which transmitter. It felt really, really nice, but I settled on the Aurora for the price I got. The secondary consideration was that I had heard that moving the momentary switch on the Futaba would void the warranty. I don't know that it would, but I had heard so. Another consideration for Futaba is that in my neck of the woods, several guys use very small, very cheap after-market receivers.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Dec 02, 2011, 06:45 PM
United States, UT, Lehi
Joined Nov 2004
159 Posts
This DLG transmitter stuff is making me feel like Forest Gump at a rocket scientists convention!! I had no idea it was so much more complicated than flying my electric WWI fabric and wire jalopies! I'm scared to death I'm gonna screw it all up!
If I give one of you my wallet will you just buy me something as if you were buying it for yourself and let me know what I bought later? My head hurts.....can't wait to start setting it all up to fly.....I'm sure my head will really be hurting at that point!
I think I'm gonna just buy the next best deal I see on an Aurora or 8Fg....sounds like I can't go wrong either way.

Chris
Baumer is offline Find More Posts by Baumer
Old Dec 02, 2011, 06:51 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,999 Posts
Sure thing, just drop your wallet off at my place and Ill hook me, i mean you, up.

Here is what I would do. Wait just a little and fly each of these trannys. You may hate the feel of one of them. Either one will be great for DLG.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Dec 02, 2011, 07:05 PM
are we there yet?
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined May 2004
1,237 Posts
I'll add to what Greg posted that the aurora is a great radio. I've been flying dlg with it for about a year now. I am setup about the same as Greg except is use the left slider for camber adjustments in cruise. I would not set that up until you are very used to the radio tho.

I'm working on a series of videos on programming the Aurora 9 for DLG an the mods I have made to it. I'll be starting a new thread in the next week or so.

Either hitec or futaba you can't go wrong.
Alan C is offline Find More Posts by Alan C
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2011, 07:15 PM
Joined May 2002
16,999 Posts
And the Aurora has telemetry!!!!! And sweet programing and switch assignments!!!!
Old Dec 02, 2011, 07:25 PM
Must Luv DLG
USA, CO, Golden
Joined Jul 2010
1,455 Posts
Yup, the realtime aircraft battery monitoring is cool stuff.
Launch-1 is offline Find More Posts by Launch-1
Old Dec 02, 2011, 09:04 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,656 Posts
I considered the aurora when I finally gave up on my JR/Spekrum brownouts. I couldn't be more happy with both Futaba FASST and the 8FG. It is completely switch configurable. And the programming is way easier than JR. Not to say the Aurora isn't a good radio because it probably is, but I know what the 8FG brings and I couldn't be happier. Wait, that is a bit of a lie, I wish the Tx came with the mom switch on the left but it is a very easy fix.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Dec 02, 2011, 11:23 PM
Joined May 2002
16,999 Posts
How are the breakers Finchy????
Old Dec 02, 2011, 11:52 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,656 Posts
Currently anchored in Avalon harbor planning tomorrow's fun!
Old Dec 03, 2011, 12:19 AM
Joined May 2002
16,999 Posts
Ive lost count on the reasons!
Old Dec 03, 2011, 11:51 AM
Joined May 2002
16,999 Posts
Just sayin.....
Old Dec 03, 2011, 12:40 PM
A different attitude to RC
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
2,660 Posts
Are we flying today?
extremewing is online now Find More Posts by extremewing
Old Dec 03, 2011, 12:59 PM
Joined May 2002
16,999 Posts
AD I might be able to do a 2:00 ish flipoff @ AD. It would be for only an hour or so.
Old Dec 03, 2011, 01:45 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,656 Posts
Just saying'...