HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2010, 06:27 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingj View Post
The weather was pretty nice today around lunch and I got to trim up the Blaster... Its Sweet!

Anyone want to make a DLG run or flip the bird for lunch at the BDO or WSUD Wednesday 11 - 1 ish?
Very cool J! I'm game for Wednesday at WSUD, weather permitting. Sounds like it will be raining or snowing... Friday actually looks like a much better day. I could do it then too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
ysdttigwlftbstitfostntwbmpats
I will decode for everyone. I got my little ring in the mail. Hope Jon's message isn't just a crummy commercial...

Yep Sure Did They Think Its Great We Love Flying There But Since There Is Two Feet Of Snow There Now They Wont Be Moving Pipe Any Time Soon
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Last edited by like.2.fly; Dec 21, 2010 at 06:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2010, 06:30 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,124 Posts
Who is planning on attending the Freeze Fly? We need a head count, and we need to solidify the date. Jan 1st or Jan 8th?

I'm in. I vote for the 8th, but can do either day.

Here's the pilot roster:

1. Mike
2. Jeremy (for the 8th)
3. Jim
4. Alex
5. Jon F (?)
Last edited by like.2.fly; Dec 21, 2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 06:45 PM
Jeremy D Stott
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,822 Posts
I can make the 8th but not the 1st. But won't be offended if everyone wants the 1st.

Thursday Lunch and Saturday lunch fly may still work for me.
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
Old Dec 21, 2010, 06:57 PM
Always Twirling for Freedom!
Utah, planet earth
Joined Mar 2009
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
ysdttigwlftbstitfostntwbmpats

Yep Sure Did They Think Its Great We Love Flying There But Since There Is Two Feet Of Snow There Now They Wont Be Moving Pipe Any Time Soon
SMARTYPANTS!

Did we get the A.O.K. for New Years Day at The Sod Farm? SO... AOK4NYD@TSF?

Ah.. Mike got the decoder ring.. mine's still must be in the post.

I'm game for the 1st or the 8th. The ONLY reason I like the first better is because it's sooner!
I'll have Friday off and would love to go flip the bird with you boyz. Lemme know where you decide.
Ace OUT.
Extremeace is offline Find More Posts by Extremeace
Last edited by Extremeace; Dec 21, 2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 07:03 PM
Utah, planet earth
Joined Mar 2009
822 Posts
Note to self... read all posts to the end before posting.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 07:09 PM
Jeremy D Stott
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,822 Posts
I've made that same mistake. Its hard when multiple discussions are going on and Jon decides to speak another language.

So aside from the Freeze Fly this week,

I'm in for a lunch fly Wed, Thurs, or Friday.
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
Old Dec 21, 2010, 07:16 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingj View Post
...Thursday Lunch and Saturday lunch fly may still work for me.
I can't do Saturday (Christmas day?). But I have Friday off as well, and the weather looks SUNNY! I plan to hit WSUD or BDO around noon. WSUD if others will be coming from the south. Otherwise BDO.

Need to hear from Greg, Jake, Nate, Adrian, Matt, Jon L, Jon F on the Freeze Fly plans...
Old Dec 21, 2010, 07:54 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,844 Posts
I may have a commitment on the 8th (at least in the am). I'll know more in the next few days.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Dec 21, 2010, 08:01 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
Jim, you can be our bagged foam repair guru. We need one of those...

Jeremy and I had fun at BDO today. Gray, cold, & slightly breezy from the WNW; but there was still some lift. After sinking to 20 or 30 feet we could come back and catch slope lift off the back side of the Bob Barker building and climb back to launch height off it. You could stay up forever cruising that building if you wanted to.

I switched my Vandal over from a 400mAh NiMH to a 360mAh Lipo & regulator (Jeremy, the regulator is this one at Mountain Models HERE, Blue Arrow, 2 grams, $9.99). Had to add 7g of nose weight to balance but still shaved a few grams off the AUW. Flew for 1.5 hours and the batt was still going strong when I left. It's on the charger now, and we'll see how much it takes.

I discovered that you can't charge a lipo back through the regulator. I will have to rewire the switchjack so it sits between the regulator and battery. Either that or don't charge through the jack and untape the canopy every time, which is a pain on the Vandal. But it will be a pain to rewire too.
Why not solder pre-fabbed cables with JST connectors to your switchjack? Every small LIPO I've used has a JST, and same for the regulator.

You never want to have the regulator permanently connected to the battery, or "before" the switchjack. The IC(s) will consume a minute amout of power, which drains & trashes your battery.

BavarianCharles is offline Find More Posts by BavarianCharles
Old Dec 21, 2010, 08:39 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipf-geier View Post
Why not solder pre-fabbed cables with JST connectors to your switchjack? Every small LIPO I've used has a JST, and same for the regulator.

You never want to have the regulator permanently connected to the battery, or "before" the switchjack. The IC(s) will consume a minute amout of power, which drains & trashes your battery.

Yup, BTDT... I already drained my first lipo beyond recovery. Lately I've just been leaving the regulator plugged into the receiver, and unplugging the battery from the regulator. Next time I'm into the guts I will rewire as you suggested.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 09:51 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Weather permitting I could be in for a flip of the bird tomorrow, but it'd have to be around 11:30am. Don't make plans around me though, as it could change at any moment.

Does anyone know of a local source for 4-40 nylon screws? I'm guessing Lowe's but I've been wrong before.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:12 PM
Utah, planet earth
Joined Mar 2009
822 Posts
What size... Adrian seems to think you're smokin' somethin if you're looking for 4-40.
What are you gunna use them for?

PS. Jer did you get a B2 or B3?
Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:18 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
In AZ, ACE is the place for nylon hardware. If you're looking for leightweight screws for a Blaster, Remember, they're made across the pond! Metric screws hold the B2 wing on, and I couldn't find any nylon metrics here in AZ.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:28 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremeace View Post
What size... Adrian seems to think you're smokin' somethin if you're looking for 4-40.
What are you gunna use them for?

PS. Jer did you get a B2 or B3?
These are for the horizontal stab of the "tree'd" plane. That is the size called for by ASK. I'll check ACE, thanks!
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:30 PM
Utah, planet earth
Joined Mar 2009
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishjunky View Post
. I'll check ACE, thanks!
I don't have any....