HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:55 PM
Jeremy D Stott
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,822 Posts
Wish I could join you guys on New Years, but I'll be in Arizona soaking up the sun, and yes... Flying DLG. Hope you get a good turn out which I'm sad to miss because our group is getting so big.
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2010, 01:50 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,112 Posts
Should we have the Freeze Fly on the following Saturday, January 8th instead of New Years Day? Might be easier than the holiday when some guys have family commitments and/or are out of town. What do you think? I'm good with either.

I've been working on the MP3 playlist to run all the task timing files over the PA system. It announces the rounds, does the countdowns, etc. This will fully automate the contest and keep it flowing smoothly. We can always pause it if necessary. With two heats per round (half the guys flying and the other half timing, then swap) each round will take about 40 minutes. We should have time to squeeze in 5 rounds from 11:00 AM to 2:30 PM.

We will focus on the pure F3K tasks until we learn them all. Here is my proposed task list for this event. These are, IMO, the 5 easiest ones, and a good place to start. Each round has a 10 minute time window:
1. Ladder (15 sec increments starting at 30 sec - 30s, 45s, 60s, 75s, 90s, 105s, 120s)
2. 5x2 (5 longest flights, 2 minute max per flight)
3. 1-2-3-4 minute flights in any order
4. 3x3 (Best 3 flights out of 6 throws, 3 minute max per flight)
5. AULD (All Up Last Down, repeated 3 times, 3 minute max per flight)

Please state your preferences for the task list, and also if you want to have it on the 1st or the 8th.

Mike
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Dec 19, 2010, 01:52 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
That task list looks good to me. Having participated in only one competition, I would say these will give us a good cross section of the strategies involved for some of the more complicated tasks as well.

I should be ok with either weekend, but I will have to know soon.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Dec 19, 2010, 01:56 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Mike, I think most of the guys here are unfamiliar with what tasks are defined in the F3K list, so we really don't know what we have to choose from. Do you have a list that you could easily post for us?
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Dec 19, 2010, 03:30 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,729 Posts
Mike..thanks for the nice hat..........
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3670700

-Dave
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Dec 19, 2010, 04:02 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishjunky View Post
Mike, I think most of the guys here are unfamiliar with what tasks are defined in the F3K list, so we really don't know what we have to choose from. Do you have a list that you could easily post for us?
There are only 8 official F3K tasks defined by the FAI, which can be found in full starting on page 28 of THIS document. It would be a good thing for everyone to read the entire F3K section so you are familiar with the rules. Some fun-fly events will use variations of these tasks, or self-defined ones. But F3K contests stick to these 8. The remaining 3 tasks I didn't list in post #707 above are as follows. These are IMO the hardest tasks requiring the most skill and strategy. Once again, they all have 10 minute working time windows:

6. Score the LAST FLIGHT ONLY, 5 minute max (get a 5 minute flight then quit).
7. Score the LAST 2 FLIGHTS ONLY, 4 minute max (try to get 2 4's back to back).
8. POKER - Variable target time. Announce the amount of time you will fly before launching, then fly it. The flight doesn't score until you make or exceed the time you called. Landing early requires a repeat of that same flight again. Once met then you can proceed to call another time and try to fly that one. This repeats until the 10 minute window has expired. Poker can make or break you if you are willing to gamble, just like it does in Vegas!
Old Dec 19, 2010, 04:03 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shhhhh! View Post
Mike..thanks for the nice hat..........
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3670700

-Dave
Cool!
Old Dec 20, 2010, 03:21 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,097 Posts
3 of the 6 videos are now watched. I am not sure I can make it through the rest.........

My wife popped in with the following last night as I was watching the radio install segment.

"Geesh does this guy ever plan on flying!!!! He spends too much time on the setup crap, I feel bad for his wife!!!"

Well like I told her, I would rather him be too thorough than leave something out. Was funny at the time though.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Dec 20, 2010, 03:36 PM
Jim C
Joined Sep 2009
1,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
There are only 8 official F3K tasks defined by the FAI, which can be found in full starting on page 28 of THIS document. It would be a good thing for everyone to read the entire F3K section so you are familiar with the rules. Some fun-fly events will use variations of these tasks, or self-defined ones. But F3K contests stick to these 8. The remaining 3 tasks I didn't list in post #707 above are as follows. These are IMO the hardest tasks requiring the most skill and strategy. Once again, they all have 10 minute working time windows:

6. Score the LAST FLIGHT ONLY, 5 minute max (get a 5 minute flight then quit).
7. Score the LAST 2 FLIGHTS ONLY, 4 minute max (try to get 2 4's back to back).
8. POKER - Variable target time. Announce the amount of time you will fly before launching, then fly it. The flight doesn't score until you make or exceed the time you called. Landing early requires a repeat of that same flight again. Once met then you can proceed to call another time and try to fly that one. This repeats until the 10 minute window has expired. Poker can make or break you if you are willing to gamble, just like it does in Vegas!
Item 6 on the list is Task A. If you read in task A it says the working time can be between 7 and 10 minutes. When set to seven minutes it is harder because you have less time to sit around and watch trying to poach a thermal.
ShadowFalken is offline Find More Posts by ShadowFalken
Old Dec 20, 2010, 05:20 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFalken View Post
Item 6 on the list is Task A. If you read in task A it says the working time can be between 7 and 10 minutes. When set to seven minutes it is harder because you have less time to sit around and watch trying to poach a thermal.
Good point. The CD is allowed to shorten the working time for tasks A & B if the number of competitors is large (to save time). But it is usually 10 minutes. Just to keep things simple for now I'm saying they will all be 10 minutes, which is normally true. Except of course for AULD which by nature doesn't require a working time.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 05:57 PM
Always Twirling for Freedom!
Utah, planet earth
Joined Mar 2009
821 Posts
Jon, did you get the official OK for NYD? from TSF?
Extremeace is offline Find More Posts by Extremeace
Old Dec 21, 2010, 06:01 PM
Jeremy D Stott
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,822 Posts
The weather was pretty nice today around lunch and I got to trim up the Blaster... Its Sweet!

Anyone want to make a DLG run or flip the bird for lunch at the BDO or WSUD Wednesday 11 - 1 ish?
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
Old Dec 21, 2010, 06:05 PM
Joined May 2002
17,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeace View Post
jon, did you get the official ok for nyd? From tsf?

ysdttigwlftbstitfostntwbmpats

Yep Sure Did They Think Its Great We Love Flying There But Since There Is Two Feet Of Snow There Now They Wont Be Moving Pipe Any Time Soon
Old Dec 21, 2010, 06:06 PM
Joined May 2002
17,097 Posts
Break out the decoder ring
Old Dec 21, 2010, 06:08 PM
Joined May 2002
17,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingj View Post
The weather was pretty nice today around lunch and I got to trim up the Blaster... Its Sweet!

Anyone want to make a DLG run or flip the bird for lunch at the BDO or WSUD Wednesday 11 - 1 ish?
So did Yankeeville avoid SNOWageddon???????