Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 16, 2010, 02:04 PM
Always Twirling for Freedom!
Utah, planet earth
Joined Mar 2009
813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
Could that be our NYDFF on Jan 1? Where should we have it?
Quote:
Hey, do you think they'd move the sprinklers for us at the sod farm? I'd assume they don't water too much this time of year.
Soooo... what ya think?
Extremeace is offline Find More Posts by Extremeace
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2010, 02:55 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,902 Posts
I can ask. I am pretty sure they would move them. Well actually I am positive. I am taking down their Christmas gift basket stuffed full of loot this weekend and will ask them. I bet when I give them a basket with $400.00 in gift cards they will be more than willing to move them...........

Still not sure what pipes you would want moved though and which field.

I can just find a big grassy spot though and get something arranged.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Dec 16, 2010, 03:03 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,986 Posts
Doesn't matter which field, but I think the farther east the better, just so we stay as far as possible from the lake and especially from those big power lines near it. It would be awesome if we had an area at least a hundred yards or more in any direction away from sprinkler pipe. If there are already some fields clear of pipe then one of those would be great.

Thanks Jon!
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Dec 16, 2010, 03:49 PM
Joined May 2002
16,902 Posts
Why not just hold it at Art Dye park where we fly in the winters?

Extreme knows the park well. Would that work? Its also a little further North since there is no one in the South coming to this anyways.

Or................. go to the park @ 7200 south and the Jordan river. Thats where we had the 1st Civil War and its 13 acres of grass with adjacent 11 acre wetlands. Nice park as well.......... or at least it used to be till the city took it over.........
Old Dec 16, 2010, 04:15 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,201 Posts
We are trying to get a feel for the fields where we could hold the BIG event BSOU (Blue Skies Over UT), so I would vote against Art Dye or any other field that will be taken over by the little tykes playing soccer.
Fishjunky is online now Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Dec 16, 2010, 05:09 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishjunky View Post
We are trying to get a feel for the fields where we could hold the BIG event BSOU (Blue Skies Over UT), so I would vote against Art Dye or any other field that will be taken over by the little tykes playing soccer.
I agree. Public parks are abundant and awesome... until a Saturday during nice weather rolls around. Then the sports take over and they become impossible to fly on. They are great for occasional practice during off times, but do not make good contest fields. The perfect DLG contest field will be on private property (thus can be exclusively reserved), not surrounded by busy streets or neighborhoods, consist of lawn or mowed weeds or hard packed dirt (stable footing), and have few obstacles in the general area. Once you see a real contest in progress with a good number of competitors then you will understand what I mean. Guys are landing off field all the time. It wouldn't be good if those planes ended up in the middle of a busy highway, or on the roof of a house or building. That's why sod farms are so ideal. The balloon field park in Eden is an exception only because it's a private park, and not in the middle of a densely populated area.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 05:44 PM
Combat: You're doing it wrong.
United States, UT, Layton
Joined Sep 2009
1,800 Posts
You know, it may be interesting to approach a local city and ask them if a section of a public park could be reserved for this event, just like soccer or any other sport. It would be difficult impossible during soccer season, but otherwise, it might be doable. It may be a really good way to grow the group -- should anyone stop by and ask questions.

my two cents
chewbaccah is offline Find More Posts by chewbaccah
Old Dec 16, 2010, 06:02 PM
Fly Cheap. Fly Hard. Fly Daily
USA, UT, Riverton
Joined Aug 2005
381 Posts
I agree. So far, I've inquired at Weber County (a bit expensive), and gotten the runaround from Salt Lake County. Salt Lake County looks hopeful, as they have a large number of parks that the soccer folks are "interlopers" at. They don't actually have the field booked with the county. They just take over. So it looks as if an appropriate approach would be:
1. Approach SL County parks & rec with the park number (not the name, the number is posted at each park), a description of the activity, and pay the fee. Varies by park; I'll see if I can nail it down for Western Springs park near Herriman which is a great little flying site, AND the locals are used to people flying there.
2. Post a number of signs at the park well in advance of the event to indicate that it is reserved on a certain date.
3. Follow-through, and have a dedicated safety person patrolling the park during events to remind onlookers where it's safe to watch from, and/or put up stakes & string with signs.

I love how approachable the sport becomes flying in a park, but the safety considerations are always on my mind, too.
redgiki is offline Find More Posts by redgiki
Old Dec 16, 2010, 06:22 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,986 Posts
Parks might be doable for some of our smaller local monthly contests. Still wouldn't want a large contest at a public park in the city though.

Good contest fliers take risks. They can and will range an astonishing long distance away from the field, and off field landings are common. The field needs relatively open space around it, preferably several hundred yards or more. Otherwise we will end up dealing with expensive planes on busy highways (plane destruction, possible car accidents, liability...), trying to get planes down off the roofs of businesses, homes, and schools, etc. Large open spaces are just SO much better. Plus, I'm not keen at all on having to pay a fee to reserve a park with the county. Just my opinion based on the small amount of contest experience I've had so far... YMMV
Old Dec 16, 2010, 08:24 PM
Cottonwood Heights
Joined Jul 2005
168 Posts
I've often thot the equestrian center in south Jordan or herriman would be a nice place to fly. That field at the south Jordan center on 11400s always looks so..flyable.
thecirque is offline Find More Posts by thecirque
Old Dec 16, 2010, 09:23 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecirque View Post
I've often thot the equestrian center in south Jordan or herriman would be a nice place to fly. That field at the south Jordan center on 11400s always looks so..flyable.
Can you post a google map link?

Anyone want to fly tomorrow in SLC? Looks to be a balmy 35*
Old Dec 16, 2010, 10:45 PM
Always Twirling for Freedom!
Utah, planet earth
Joined Mar 2009
813 Posts
Quote:

Anyone want to fly tomorrow in SLC? Looks to be a balmy 35*
Duh.... Where?
Extremeace is offline Find More Posts by Extremeace
Old Dec 16, 2010, 10:49 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,986 Posts
Quote:
Here's a google map LINK.

Awesome field! But once again,
1. Could we get permission to use it, and at what expense? Competing with uppity horses this time instead of soccer kids...
2. Surrounded by tall power lines on two sides, and light poles on the other two.
3. What happens when someone ranges their plane way off field and doesn't make it back? It's on the highway, in the power lines, on a roof of a business or home in the neighborhood...

Definitely one of the better city fields I've seen though. Big, and at least has a few open areas around it. Can someone down there find out more about it for us? Permission to use it would be the biggest thing. Here's a street view:
Old Dec 16, 2010, 11:07 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,201 Posts
Ace, we could fly @ Old Mill or try this new equestrian field.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:03 AM
Joined May 2002
16,902 Posts
How do you guys glue in the throwing peg? I think mine turned out ok, but what a pain. In the future I think I would drill a hole same size as peg all the way through. Then 1/4" bigger than the peg just through the skins and glass reinforcement. Then I would have a little bowl for epoxy to sit in around peg. Then do one side and let it cure. Then do other side. My way last night SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!

But after 4 hours of dinking around I got the peg in and the sleeves for the wing bolts in place. I need professional help........

EDIT!!!!!!!!!!!! Dont do it like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! See how smart people do it just one post down!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by JONBOYLEMON; Dec 17, 2010 at 10:47 AM.