HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:14 AM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch View Post

That was the key to my victory over JonL in the 1-2-3-4 round..
Actually that wasn't the only key. I owe Adrian a huge thanks for calling me out of my thermal (taking an easy 2 min rather than try to eek out a 3 min) and pushing 180 degrees into JonL's thermal for my 3 min flight. Both JonL and I got easy 4 minute rides in different thermals on the first throw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsnoopy
Jon, I try to do the same. I usually park the CX2 until it's time to get serious.
Look at that, even the pros hedge their bets .
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2011, 05:50 AM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Dec 2010
1,593 Posts
Quote:
I need to set it in the corner of the basement and bring it back out for the JEM.
Jon - When I saw the video of you doing quick turnarounds with the CX2 I felt like you were taking a heck of a chance.

I plan on using my beater plane to practice the risky stuff. But of course you have to fly the CX2 to get tuned into it; till it fits like a glove. Thermals would be a good place to get that accomplished.

I have been using my talking timer to practice quick turnarounds. I set the timer on 32 seconds and try and catch the plane at about 2 seconds left. That way it gives me a little leeway.

Actually I like 40 seconds a little better until I improve at re-launching. I have been dropping between 4 - 8 seconds on my turnarounds. Since my beater plane is on the repair table, I haven't been trying to do wing tip catches with my contest planes.

I made up 2 mp3 that do 20x30s and 20x40s. They might be fun to try and do in a small group setting. I would like to try it out sometime.
Hanger Rash is offline Find More Posts by Hanger Rash
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:18 AM
Russ Young
United States, UT, South Jordan
Joined Mar 2006
1,168 Posts
Guys, thanks for the great morning! Jim, thank you for helping me get to know the how-to's on the tasks and thanks for dealing with the setup and running of the contest...now...back to putting together the TS.
isoarthenland is offline Find More Posts by isoarthenland
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:57 AM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Dec 2010
1,593 Posts
Russ - It was fun flying with you. You are my kind of pilot. You show up early, bring with you what ever flies, have a good time, and go home with a smile on your face. Sounds like you will have that TS flying before the week is out. Hopefully Evan will too.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:05 AM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Dec 2010
1,593 Posts
Hey Team Utah look what Colorado is doing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherhunter View Post
Funfly Saturday the 22nd at The Ranch. Keep an eye on the weather forecast and let us know if you'll be coming.
John
They just had one. Those guys have a fun fly almost every week. We can not let such a deed go by unchallenged. I am ready for another one!

BTW I went by the park in Alpine on my way home Saturday and no one was using the big fields. I also went there Friday afternoon and there were two Frisbee teams playing, but I went to the field on the west side and had it all to myself. Just a good place to keep in mind when Art Dye is book and the Sod Farm is closed.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:15 AM
excelling at mediocrity
Franktown, CO. USA
Joined Mar 2009
3,199 Posts
Happy to see all the rising stars in Utah!

When is a sport considered "organized"?

I love this stuff.

John
gopherhunter is offline Find More Posts by gopherhunter
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:45 AM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Dec 2010
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherhunter View Post
When is a sport considered "organized"?
John - Probably football & soccer teams would fall in that category. But one look at us (TeamUtah) and they can tell right off that we are not organized
Especially when JonL shows up
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:03 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Ok, boys, I'm going to need a therapy session tomorrow around noon. Who's in? I have the Salonit pieced back together and need some help listening for flutter
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:35 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,844 Posts
My plane is in the backseat. Hopefully I can get away from work for a lunch fling.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:35 AM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Dec 2010
1,593 Posts
Jon - your plane didn't seem to be taking a backseat to anyone on Saturday

It is not too soon to take a look at November and decide when would be a good time for a contest. A lot of us will be in Arizona on the 5th, so we have the 12, 19, & 26 left. Don’t know what ya’ll are doing for Thanks Giving, but I would guess that the 26th is out, or not. Some might be available on the 25th or 26th. The 12th may not be good so soon after BSOAZ, so is anyone up for the 19th as a possible contest day for November, or do you have another preference?

I just went back to take a look at what we have done since I have been keeping records to see what tasks we have flown and this is what I have come up with. These numbers include BSOUT, but no other outside the state Blue Sky contests:
Task A Last flight...... 2
Task B Last 3 flights.. 5
Task C AULD............ 7
Task D Ladder task... 5
Task E Poker round... 3
Task F 3 of 6........... 5
Task G 5x2.............. 7
Task H 1-2-3-4........ 6
Task I Last 3........... 1
TAsk J ................... 0

So who ever is organizing the next contest, you may want to include all/some tasks that we have flown less than 5 times for starters. My own feeling as to the number of tasks is that the 6 we did in this last contest seemed good to me. Others may feel differently. We started about 9 and ended close to noon. That was a good day. Also we may want to start later in the day now that the times and seasons are a chang’en; like close to noon or something.
Last edited by Hanger Rash; Oct 17, 2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:39 AM
Full disclosure, not sponsored
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,127 Posts
6 task seemed perfect. It was fast, but not too fast. I thinik we even had a little break in there somewhere.

My Scout trip will be the 12th or 19th. The Saturday after Turkey day, or even Black Friday would work for me. I could push the scout trip on either date. Would almost prefer having or scout trip on the 12th and then contest on 19th.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:41 AM
Joined May 2002
17,127 Posts
Quote:
My plane is in the backseat. Hopefully I can get away from work for a lunch fling.
Hopefully you have sexed it by now! Could not believe you had not done that yet! Get that thing sexed and you will be a real menace!!!!

Hey, where was my friend Ron on Saturday???? It was a great contest, but its always fun when Ron shows up. Ron........... you still out there?
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:43 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
I vote for the 19th, and that we have it up North! ... I'll even do the organizing
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:46 AM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Dec 2010
1,593 Posts
I vote for JimA.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:54 AM
Joined May 2002
17,127 Posts
The voting is unanimous! Resolution 6553 has passed!

Hopefully we get more than the cloven one & the gimp to attend!

PS, LPHS is a GREAT LOCATION for a contest! What a backdrop we had. Bad news was that on too many occasions my blaze orange B3 got invisable!!!! That little issue had me going West when possible.

Next month when the mountains are white vs blaze orange, it wont be an issue. I think Finch had several wheres my plane moments as well.