HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2011, 02:59 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,585 Posts
If I've got reception, I'll post a picture from up on top for you

Are you going to fly tonight or are you tied up with family stuff?
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2011, 03:01 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,906 Posts
I am out for tonight. Most likely. Will post if I can sneak out for some flippin.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Aug 15, 2011, 04:59 PM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Dec 2010
1,593 Posts
I climbed up near baldly but I took a short cut.
Hanger Rash is offline Find More Posts by Hanger Rash
Old Aug 15, 2011, 05:20 PM
Joined May 2002
16,906 Posts
Jim, you are too old for stuff like that!!! Obviously!!!!!!

Was that Saturday?
Last edited by JONBOYLEMON; Aug 15, 2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:47 PM
The Real J
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,817 Posts
Dang it... I can't make Saturdays contest and I was totally gunnin for it. I won't be available until 2 PM and then it would take time to drive down. Sorry guys, DLG on without me as usual

J
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:57 PM
Joined May 2002
16,906 Posts
We will miss you square pants! Miss beating you that is!
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:09 PM
Joined May 2002
16,906 Posts
Hoping for a lunch time flip @ Galena. 12:15 ish.

Winds look perfect for that time.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 07:44 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,202 Posts
Hey kids, it's that time of year again...

...that's right soccer time. I only have one playing this year, but the first game is Saturday @ noon. I'm out for the flip fest, have fun.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Aug 16, 2011, 09:31 AM
Joined May 2002
16,906 Posts
Dang, and just like that its down to Mike from the North. Too bad about that soccer thing. If they would just ban it in America, LIKE THEY SHOULD, this would not be an issue.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 09:43 AM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,585 Posts
To be fair... I "had it out" with the Misses this past weekend over all the time I've been spending with planes and not with her. I'm still in the dog house, but I'm STILL planning to be at the Saturday event! So where are we flying?
Old Aug 16, 2011, 09:48 AM
Joined May 2002
16,906 Posts
Jon, move the planes out to the doghouse with you. That way, if she locks you out, you will still have the goods!
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:05 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,840 Posts
Wow Finch, congrats on the run-in with the wife! At least she still actually WANTS time with you!

And heck, your "Dog House" is as nice as my regular house, and is the nicest "plane room" I've seen so far. It's more like a plane castle!. Can you say Build Party! Now you can spend some time doing something important, like getting your combat plane ready for the sWARm!

Haha.

I keep telling my wife that if she'd get out of the house and find some friends, she wouldn't notice the couple of times a month when I go fly with mine, but she just doesn't do it. We need to get our wives together so they have somebody to play with on those rare occasions when we get out to fly!
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:00 AM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
I keep telling my wife that if she'd get out of the house and find some friends, she wouldn't notice the couple of times a month when I go fly with mine, but she just doesn't do it. We need to get our wives together so they have somebody to play with on those rare occasions when we get out to fly!
THAT was exactly what I told her!
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:16 AM
Joined May 2002
16,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch View Post
THAT was exactly what I told her!
You guys all fail the short course on how to fly AND have your wife happy about it!!!!
Old Aug 16, 2011, 02:42 PM
Joined May 2002
16,906 Posts
Well kids, I am sad to report that I was the only soul @ Galena today. And by that, I mean there was NO ONE there. No walkers, grass maggots, Folfers, or soccer moms.

Kinda a shame I was short on time & only got in about 8 flights

Just me and the hawks, "more about that later."

Winds were calm out of the North and occasional out of the East. 1st 5 minutes was a series of 1+ plus flights. Not much more than 1 though. I was bummed about the sink air. Then the gently drifting breeze died and I thought, oh goodie, my first read!!!! Threw w/ no preset on launch and went way North, probably not that far from 12300 S and then I hit it! BAM!!!! Could not see what plane was telling me other than I was going up, and in a hurry! 9 minutes later I was drifting to the South West as far as I wanted and put her into speed and made a B line for home. Just barely made the big freaking house on the West side of park. Probably had 10' to spare, but I sunk like a champ as I approached the roof. Finch would be proud of my attempt to land far OB.

So with a killer flight out of the way I tried the exact same tactic as the air was the same. Caught a boomer again over the ball fields and this time it was moving faster and the speed on the elevator was stuck on 11. So I rode a bumpy train to spec height when out of no where I hear the hawk screech and see him climbing 200' away from me! Well after the 1st contact with the hawk I thought how Krazy is that! The sound of hawk on B3 was unmistakable even at that distance. I wagged a bit and then checked controls and everything was still ok. So I kept circling and so did the hawk. All the while there is a hawk over in the dead tree on the West side screaming about something! Then it happens. KaPlamykazyboom. I took a direct hit from the hawk. Flipped the B3 over and upward with a big flash of B3 orange lighting the sky as the hawk above screeches and the hawk below is now going nuts!!!!! I roll back over after a spooky dive where I was not sure I was still in control and I bailed as fast as I could. 8:12 hand to hand!!!!! I set the B3 down and looked over at the tree screecher and could not see him. He was down in the tall grass along the hill and now there was a new squel! I check the precious B3OL for damage and am surprised to find none. Not nary a scratch. Kinda bummed as a claw mark would have been quite the prize.

Well anyways, I have never had those hawks pursue me, in fact most often they sit in that tree and scowl at me. I think one of them is still bitter about the time I bailed from a downwind boomer and he followed me into sink and he had to work hard to get back to the boomer!

Anyways, killer day @ Galena. That park is funny, its either on or OFF! Today it was ON!