HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2011, 05:12 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,634 Posts
Let's fly there next time we get together.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2011, 05:46 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,978 Posts
Tomorrow @ 3:00 ish?
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Aug 11, 2011, 06:51 PM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Dec 2010
1,593 Posts
Mike pretty much nailed it. The footing is ok in a few places, but a hoe would work for a small area to launch from. The winds today at 2:30 were light and variable. The lift was OK with sink cycles. I saw crows circling over head on occasion. I am going to fly there more often and next time I will take a hoe to flatten out my launch pad; at least the small mounds of dirt.
Hanger Rash is offline Find More Posts by Hanger Rash
Old Aug 11, 2011, 07:07 PM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Dec 2010
1,593 Posts
I didn't see if Adrian posted or not but the Aug 20th contest will be at Galena Park just off of 123rd So. and two lights west of I-15. The back up plan is the Sod Farm if Galena gets blown out. Pilot's meeting will be at 8:00am. As the days get shorter I suspect we will be shifting to a more noon to after noon type schedule.

We tried to get the Kerns - Stony Park Dr.(IMSF club field) but IMSF has a duration flight there that day. I was looking for a thrower for Mike Gibson, and those I asked are not available that day but Mike will most likely be involved in the IMSF duration contest anyway.

When I talked to Ted Fraughton today he suggested an alternative site as 118th So and 2200 west. I googled this up: HERE but will have to check it out as to permissions or what ever.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 08:12 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
Tomorrow @ 3:00 ish?
Tomorrow afternoon I'll be test flying and prepping for the pylon races on Saturday.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 08:13 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,634 Posts
What about pack sod farm?
I feel kind of bad having the northern hoard always driving all the way down south...
Old Aug 11, 2011, 08:57 PM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Dec 2010
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch View Post
What about pack sod farm?
That would be good. JonL - Do we have permission to fly there?
I think Adrian is planning on Galena Park, but the Pack Sod Farm may be a good back up. I would think that if one is windy the other may be as well, but let's check it out.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 09:59 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,365 Posts
I am relisting my Stobel-v2 again. This time it will sell locally only as I don't have any more shipping boxes available. Here is the previous listing.

I will sell it locally for $900 without receiver or $950 with receiver. (R617FS)

For the guys in UT, your considered local but we would have to figure out a safe way to get it to you if someone were interested...

I have since added a ballast system. (the stock one) The ballast can be installed without removing the wing. It does require loosening the forward wing screw and then tightening it back down. I used this Stobel-v2 along with my B3 to win the preliminary rounds at the BSOC. There was no added wear and tear that I can tell.

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:11 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,032 Posts
That's a heck of a deal for an awesome plane, RTF, like new, and with the $130 Swindells tail set. Somebody better snag it quick! JonF, you know you need another one (primary & backup). It even has the receiver you need already in it. Jeremy, you need a V2 to compliment the V3. The rest of you don't know what you're missing.
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Last edited by like.2.fly; Aug 11, 2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:59 PM
Joined May 2002
16,978 Posts
Charlie, you are a BAD MAN!!!! I actually just checked my checking account balance, and she said NO! But I looked hoping she would say maybe!

Hope someone snatches it up locally.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:02 AM
are we there yet?
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined May 2004
1,237 Posts
If I drive up for Blue Skies I can transport it.

Still working out some details on the trip. I may have a 7 year old passenger who will be going to visit cousins while I play, I mean fly...
Alan C is offline Find More Posts by Alan C
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 12, 2011, 09:07 AM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,634 Posts
Charlie... if it had the carbon d-box I'd be sending you $$$. But if there's anything my Blaster 2 taught me it's that I'm too hard on wing LE. All my moldies will have carbon on the LE.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 09:23 AM
Joined May 2002
16,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch View Post
But if there's anything my Blaster 2 taught me it's that I'm too hard on wing LE.
and trailing edges, and pods, and rudders, spars, and horiz stabs, and booms, and servos, and my children.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 02:54 PM
Never enough time to fly!
SLC, UT
Joined Sep 2006
1,441 Posts
OK, I took the newly repaired TSOL out for some glide tests. All went pretty well, so, I decided to teach myself how to launch it. Things still went pretty well but I do have a couple of questions.
Do most of you use the pointer and bird fingers to hold the peg or do you use the bird and ring fingers?
When I launch, the plane almost always goes left, way left. If I am trying to launch North, it goes West. If I use my launch preset its even worse. Am I holding on too long? Any advice would be helpful.
Evan
ecase is offline Find More Posts by ecase
Old Aug 12, 2011, 03:05 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,032 Posts
I use pointer/bird fingers because I feel like I have the best feel/control with that. But it's personal preference. Some very good launchers I know use bird/ring. Hooking left is almost always a sign of hanging on too long and releasing late. Try releasing a little before you think you should and the hook will probably go away. It's a critical split second timing thing that will get better with practice, and you'll develop a feel for it. Also keep your swing plane flat/level and throw at a point about 20 degrees above the horizon.

Glad you are out flying again! Get together with some of the guys for a few practice sessions and it will really help.
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly