HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2011, 08:58 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanger Rash View Post
A BSOCO story. There was a round in the AULD where everyone in that round caught huge lift. I believe everyone got a 300. What was fun about that one was the landings. Some guys stayed up about 300 ~ 400 feet till the buzzer. There was a lawn dart at about 4, 3, 2.... before the close of the 30 second window and a bunch more hurried landings before that. You would have sworn it was an F3J contest.
GMo and I were watching and wondering if he would make it in. He did it in perfect F3J style!

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2011, 10:02 PM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Dec 2010
1,593 Posts
Charlie - It was really fun meeting you and watching you fly. As I recall, there were times when you were up flying with the eagles that I didn't think you could make it back, but you did. And typical of you, so I have come to learn, you invited all the eagles to come to our party and they did. Seems like somewhere around 8 to 10 of them at one time came to watch you fly. That was sooo cool. And you got swooped a few times too as well as others.
Hanger Rash is offline Find More Posts by Hanger Rash
Old Aug 09, 2011, 10:08 PM
A different attitude to RC
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
2,428 Posts
Jim, I am so pleased we were able to make a plan to fix your planes so you could come to BSOC.

I know I was on a high from the weekend and still am. Your flying has improved so much and I am sure I even saw a difference between the first tasks and the last in your abilities. These comps are so much fun and I will try to make as many as possible. I think you might be doing the same!
extremewing is offline Find More Posts by extremewing
Old Aug 09, 2011, 10:13 PM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Dec 2010
1,593 Posts
I went flying with Jon Finch for the last hour or so of daylight this evening. Jon brought his recently repaired Stobel. None of you who didn't see the plane before will believe that it was even injured. There are credible witnesses like GMo and others that told Jon to put braces on the wing to keep it from completely breaking apart. I saw it in floppy mode like a broken leg or something and it made me sick. The nose was broken too and I can empathize with that.

On the top of the wing you can't even see where it was broken and on the bottom there is a ridge line near the fus that looks like a flange line.

Jon did an amazing job.
Last edited by Hanger Rash; Aug 09, 2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 10:38 PM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Dec 2010
1,593 Posts
Adrian - I owe you a big thanks, because if it weren't for you I wouldn't have gone to Colorado.

In just a few days last week I broke 4 planes. I broke the TopSky 2ice, the wing on my B3 and the neck on my Alula. Adrian pull my fat out of the fire and I was able to go to Colorado which turned out to be a big, enjoyable event for me.

The B3 disaster was due to a difficult battery plug that must not have been all the way in as I was late getting ready for the round I was in at the contest the weekend prior to BSOCO. I thought I heard the servos energize and didn't test the control surfaces and then proceeded to make one of my better launches. Disaster struck, and I was out for the rest of the contest.

Not to be deterred and continuing to prepare for the BSOCO I was practicing with my TopSky after Adrian had already fix it once not to many days before. I had been flying for about an hour and really feeling good about my progress. Just as I was about to quit doing the, "Just one more" thing I gave the TopSky a little bit to much of an energetic launch and my glasses came halfway off; you know, where it really screws up your vision? I tried to flatten the plane out; it didn't quite happen. I took my right hand and tried to get my glasses back in place, noticed the TopSky in a 45 degree dive and couldn't get my hand back on the stick in time. I broke the nose, the wing, the boom in two, the vertical stabilizer, and the rudder. Did I leave out anything.

I didn't even want to tell Adrian what I had done. But he called me and I fessed up. He really wanted me to go to Colorado. So I took both planes over to his house and in just a couple of hours he had the B3 fixed. I did the big job of fixing the vertical stabilizer and the rudder while Adrian fixed the broken spar and other wing damage and got the boom back together.

So Adrian thank you so much. I am so glad I got to go to Colorado.
Last edited by Hanger Rash; Aug 09, 2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 10:55 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanger Rash View Post
Mike - contrats on holding on to 9th place in the 2011 F3K spot. http://usaf3ktour.com/...
Thanks Jim, I will enjoy it today. But it won't last. There are a bunch of great pilots below me on the list only because they haven't flown 4 contest yet this year. The tour totals your 4 best scores, and lots of those guys only have 2 or 3 on the books so far. Once they get 4 I will slide down the list a ways. But for now... .
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Aug 09, 2011, 11:02 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,198 Posts
I started the transition to pushrods for the Salonit today, maybe I should take it to AD and he'd have it done in an hour . I tore all the gear out of it and am sanding down my previous wing saddle repair. I'm also fixing the pod creases.

Questions:

How do I protect the threads where the wing bolts down when I put new cloth on?

What fabric CF weave or uni? The rest of the body is weave so that's what I'm leaning towards.

How do I get it to conform to all the compound curves?

Thanks.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:08 AM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,526 Posts
My Stobel is back in the stable . You up for lunch tomorrow Jim?

Stobel DLG Crash and Repair (4 min 53 sec)
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:15 AM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,865 Posts
Did you sex it?
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:23 AM
Joined May 2002
16,865 Posts
Also, it looks like the repair was done as well as possible. She looks great. That sound in the video almost made me throw up as I was just waiting for it, knowing what was coming!

Glad she is all better. We are getting some A+ repairs done here. You guys make it pretty!!!!!

I am looking to fly @ Galena again tomorrow after 2:00 or at 4:00 ish.

Headed up the mtn tomorrow night after 6:00 to try and talk to some brookies about moving in with me! Mmmmmmm, hello my friend.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:55 AM
Joined May 2002
16,865 Posts
Sorry I missed you guys tonight. Scouts ended @ 8:30 ish so I just threw the B3OL @ AD for a couple quick flights. My launches were fantabulous!!!! My scouts could not figure out what was happening and how it was going so high and just hanging up in the air. It was fun, even with no lift. Was able to get 2:00 flights back to back in DEAD air. So the TSOL is 30 seconds shy in dead air. Not too shabby.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 04:28 AM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Dec 2010
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch View Post
Heck, I am already up Yeah, I think you are talking to JimA.
Last edited by Hanger Rash; Aug 10, 2011 at 04:38 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 05:59 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch View Post
Jon, can't do any flying today, mostly because I don't have a flyable DLG at the moment .
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Aug 10, 2011, 09:12 AM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,526 Posts
Looks like I'll be doing the lunch thing alone.

Jon, I could be at Galena around 4:30pm too.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Aug 10, 2011, 09:13 AM
Joined May 2002
16,865 Posts
Mundane, 0 out of 3 DLGs are flyable?
Nice Jim, i could just start calling you when i go to bed and i could wake you up.

Will be flyin at 2:00 ish today.