SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 09, 2011, 10:45 AM
Full disclosure, not sponsored
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,130 Posts
Did the canopy lip turn out ok??? If not, you could use a little gortilla glue in a well positioned way to fill the gap. You would need to almost make a form and then put the canopy on with wax paper between pod and canopy, so glue does not stick to canonpy. Then just sand off excess.

But with any luck, the lip is fairly smooth.
JONBOYLEMON is online now Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2011, 10:57 AM
Never enough time to fly!
SLC, UT
Joined Sep 2006
1,444 Posts
I haven't tried to fit the canopy yet but we did lose a section of the lip. It got filled in with fabric. I am sure it will be fine.
ecase is offline Find More Posts by ecase
Old Aug 09, 2011, 12:15 PM
Joined May 2002
17,130 Posts
Galena for a lunch flip is scheduled today. Did I ever mention what a great value the TSOL is??? Hoping for some thermals today to see if she can go over 200'!!!!

I do notice a straighter launch and a bit more height with the new carbon wing TSOL. She flies almost exactly the same though. The wing does feel a good bit stronger though.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 01:23 PM
A different attitude to RC
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
2,779 Posts
Let me know when you are going to be at galena....
extremewing is offline Find More Posts by extremewing
Old Aug 09, 2011, 01:34 PM
Joined May 2002
17,130 Posts
12:30 @ Galena
Old Aug 09, 2011, 02:19 PM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Dec 2010
1,593 Posts
glidermang - Thanks for the kind words. It is my intention to get out every day that I can and practice what we talked about. I hope you will see some improvement by BSOUT.
It was my pleasure to come under your tutelage, and thanks for sharing.

Jim
Hanger Rash is offline Find More Posts by Hanger Rash
Old Aug 09, 2011, 02:59 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Wow! Big lift today @ WSUD... hope you found the elevator down south as well.

Mike only had 15min to fly, so after a quick read he did a half throw with the Vandal and hooked in for the ride. I threw after seeing him go up but my half throw didn't make it and all I found was the sink left behind. After getting my plane back, I waited for a good read, and threw. Lift was there! We both walked off the field 15 minutes later (one throw for Mike and two for me).

Finch, I put in the reverse diff. that we talked about and all I can say is that thermal turning was much smoother. The lift wasn't light so hard to say how it helps in that situation.

Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Aug 09, 2011, 03:41 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,846 Posts
Sounds like Mike just left off on where he was on Sunday...

I know it sounds (is) backwards but I liked how my plane turned with reverse differential. And variable camber on the side slider is also very nice (or just use your throttle stick like Adrian).

I am remaidening my Stobel this evening, probabaly around 6-7pm. Maybe Art Dye but I need to spend more time flying in an area where I can range out and not land in trees or roofs. I'm thinking about the fields on the west side of the road between Lone Peak HS and the temple? Anyone else wanna fly?
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Aug 09, 2011, 04:42 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,127 Posts
That was fun today! Short & sweet practice session... One minute to get a read, one gentle toss to 50', a low hookup for one long flight in big lift, fly back for a hand catch, then walk off the field and head back to work. I love this stuff .

JonF, tell me again what George & JLo recommended on your Stobel V2 setup, as far as differential & camber/reflex amounts, and any other suggestions they gave. I would like to experiment with those, and it might be good to document here in the thread for other future Stobel drivers as well (Jeremy, JimA, etc.).

Bummer that the Stobel JimA won in the raffle hasn't actually been made yet. He got a spot on the waiting list at SUSA instead . Hopefully not a low priority spot... Don't worry Jim, you'll get it eventually, though probably not in time for BSOUT, and it will be worth the wait.
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Aug 09, 2011, 05:02 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,846 Posts
Differential was about twice as much down as up. Going by memory I'd say about 5/8" to 3/4" down and 1/4" to 3/8" up. They also pointed out that I didn't have enough reflex in my launch mode (I increased that to around 3-4 mm) and I didn't have enough camber in my thermal mode. I increased my camber rates on my side slider so now in thermal mode (with the slider in the middle) I have about 1/4" camber. If I slide forward I go almost to zero and if I slide back it'll go all the way to 1/2". I also increased my aileron to rudder mix quite a bit. It "looks" like it's way too much when you waggle the stick back and forth but when you think about how little actual aileron is needed to initiate a turn the corresponding rudder input is closer to where it should be.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Aug 09, 2011, 05:18 PM
Never enough time to fly!
SLC, UT
Joined Sep 2006
1,444 Posts
Does anyone have a link to the launch instruction the guy gave at Red Rock? I can't even think of how to search for it.
ecase is offline Find More Posts by ecase
Old Aug 09, 2011, 05:41 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecase View Post
Does anyone have a link to the launch instruction the guy gave at Red Rock? I can't even think of how to search for it.
Jun C. - DLG Launch Clinic Part 1 (9 min 4 sec)

Jun C. - DLG Launch Clinic Part 2 (9 min 15 sec)

Mike's mashup...

JunLaunchClinic_Long3.mp4 (12 min 55 sec)
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Aug 09, 2011, 05:41 PM
Joined May 2002
17,130 Posts
Deleted, Mundane beat me to it.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 08:24 PM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Dec 2010
1,593 Posts
Mike - contrats on holding on to 9th place in the 2011 F3K spot. http://usaf3ktour.com/

What is really fun for me now is I actually know a bunch of those guys on the list because of BSOCO. I can't believe we had Jim Cokonis sitting right next to us and he timed for me. Maaan! What a privilege. I love DLG!

Oh Yeah ! I almost forgot, I mid-aired with him...what a privle.....oh well - my name is mud.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 08:33 PM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Dec 2010
1,593 Posts
A BSOCO story. There was a round in the AULD where everyone in that round caught huge lift. I believe everyone got a 300. What was fun about that one was the landings. Some guys stayed up about 300 ~ 400 feet till the buzzer. There was a lawn dart at about 4, 3, 2.... before the close of the 30 second window and a bunch more hurried landings before that. You would have sworn it was an F3J contest.