HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2011, 05:46 AM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Dec 2010
1,593 Posts
Jon - Nice job. I would like to try one out and see if I can hear it as I am a little deaf in the high range.
Hanger Rash is offline Find More Posts by Hanger Rash
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2011, 06:48 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Those boards look sweet Jon! Are they voltage regulators/low voltage alarms only or are they a full blown AO?
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Jul 06, 2011, 09:11 AM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,640 Posts
Just voltage regulation with low voltage buzzer.

It uses the LM1084 regulator (http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM1084.pdf).

This was my first attempt at soldering surface mount components too. Worked out easier than I orginally thought.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Jul 06, 2011, 09:41 AM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Dec 2010
1,593 Posts
I am not understanding the poker round. I thought you had to have 5 nominations which would mean to me that a guy would need like 5 x 2s to fill the 10 minutes. So what does the following mean?

reto called a 9 58 and...

Wurts calls 9:5x and gets it.

George called 1 30 and

I think I understand this one

Jun had a nice round in poker- His nominations were 4 x 2 + 1:38.807.
Hanger Rash is offline Find More Posts by Hanger Rash
Old Jul 06, 2011, 10:04 AM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,992 Posts
In poker you could call 9:58 and so long as you launched in the first second of the round you could fly for 9:59 and get 9:58 as your score. You would have to be pretty good to call that!!!!

Mike is posting w/ a lot of background "stuff". I do the same thing and unless you know me, most of my post are cryptic at best. But if you were flying with me last week and were part of the conversation on how to determine the sex of your DLG, things would make alot more sense when there are post about DLG sexing.......
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Jul 06, 2011, 10:07 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
You only have up to 5 flights that count toward your score for the round. Your score for the round is based on how many seconds you stay in the air compared to those of your same flight group. As long as you make your nominated time, the flight is counted. If you don't make the time then all those seconds in the air are thrown away.
Old Jul 06, 2011, 10:08 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,034 Posts
In poker you can have a MAX of 5 scoring flights (or 5 nominations). But you don't have to use that many. Some guys go for broke and do it all in a single nomination of 9:59 and will only have one launch to do it. They nominate 9:59 or 9:58 instead of exactly 10:00 because they might not launch exactly on the second as the starting horn sounds, and their timer starts the stopwatch. So they figure in a second or two of cushion time. If they make the big time they will get the 1000 points, otherwise they will get a zero. Or they might play it safer and nominate 2 minutes and do that 5 times in a row. Actually they won't have a full 2 minutes left in the window on the last one, so they will try to nominate as close as they can to the remaining window. That's what Jun did. 4 x 2 and then a 1:38. This is why it's important for the timer to keep a separate window clock (preferably a count down not up), so he can tell his pilot exactly what the remaining window time is for his last flight nomination. Then the pilot will nominate a few seconds less than that (for cushion).
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Jul 06, 2011, 10:10 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,034 Posts
Wow, all 3 of us responded at about the same time...
Old Jul 06, 2011, 10:13 AM
Joined May 2002
16,992 Posts
And if Jun was 4 x 2 + 1:38.807 its a great day as Jun is not a real good Poker task kinda guy....

If you call 8:00 in Poker and your 1st flight sucks and you land @ 2:01, your SKREWED!!!! You need 8:00 and you have 7:59 seconds left in the window. That also assumes you launch 1 nanosecond after the window opens.
Old Jul 06, 2011, 10:15 AM
Joined May 2002
16,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch View Post
I really like the fact that my AO alarms when the my battery voltage drops below 3.4 volts/cell. It's stopped me from flying more than once. I figured building one would be fun.

I designed the circuit layout using ExpressPCB (free) and used autocad to reverse the top side printout (bottom side of board prints backwards which is perfect). I've never done a printed circuit board before but had heard it was pretty easy using a laser printer to iron on the design then etch with ferric chloride. Worked pretty good, but I didn't get the whole thing ironed on perfectly, but still ended up with quite a few boards.

The specs:

5 amps @ 5 volts
screeching alarm at 6.5 volt on a 2s lipo pack (3.25 volts/cell)
Weighs 9 grams with servo wire connectors but without shrinkwrap.
Seriously????

Come on Finch, quit playing around with these things and get the Wasatch Edge done!!!!!
Old Jul 06, 2011, 10:19 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
... I do the same thing and unless you know me, most of my post are cryptic at best. But if you were flying with me last week and were part of the conversation on how to determine the sex of your DLG, things would make alot more sense when there are post about DLG sexing.......
ummm, I'm not sure what you're on about here. Would love to hear you wax eloquent on sexing a DLG. That could make for some quality entertainment, say on a trip to Moriarty, NM come and join us, educate us on the way
Old Jul 06, 2011, 10:26 AM
Joined May 2002
16,992 Posts
ANFWICPONMBIHTGTSCMM!

But talk to Finch or AD, I went over the basics with them. They seemed to get the basic concepts, but AD seemed a little unclear on some of the finer points, and also some of the early warning signs of a DLG that could go both ways.
Old Jul 06, 2011, 10:37 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,034 Posts
Quote:
And if Jun was 4 x 2 + 1:38.807 its a great day as Jun is not a real good Poker task kinda guy....

If you call 8:00 in Poker and your 1st flight sucks and you land @ 2:01, your SKREWED!!!! You need 8:00 and you have 7:59 seconds left in the window. That also assumes you launch 1 nanosecond after the window opens.
Yup, the conservative approach to getting a good poker score is just treat it like a 5 x 2. Get the first 4, doing quick turnarounds, then on the 5th one get the remaining window time from your timer and call a couple seconds less than that (some comps allow you to call "remaining window", but not in official F3K). My problem with that is getting 2 minutes on some throws. If I'm not confident the air is good enough for that then I will usually call 1 minute or 1:30 until I find good enough air to make up the lost time with some higher calls. Still, I've never had a good poker round, nothing over 6 or 7 minutes total. It has been a drop round in probably every contest I've flown in. I'm one of those poker haters.
Old Jul 06, 2011, 10:40 AM
Joined May 2002
16,992 Posts
Hey Mike, you will be happy to know last Saturday at the farm there was some KILLER air!!!! Several times I caught a ride from 40' or so. The wind was more from the South vs straight off the lake. I think no matter what air we get, the BSOUT will be fun as both kinds of air that seem to be @ the farm can be pretty good.
Old Jul 06, 2011, 10:47 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,034 Posts
Quote:
...last Saturday at the farm there was some KILLER air!!!!... ...BSOUT will be fun as both kinds of air that seem to be @ the farm can be pretty good.
Killer air at the farm? I will believe it when I see it!
I agree it will be good contest conditions either way.