Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 11, 2010, 01:05 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcats View Post
Great job, Mike. This is the kind of enthusiasm that we need more of! Your flying shows it, too, Dust devil rider!!! LOL!

Jun C.
Welcome Jun C., Team USA member (along with George M. and Paul A.)! It is a true privilege to have you here, and hope you will visit us often. You are one of the special ones that makes this sport so great. Unbelievable skills; yet humble, friendly, and always willing to help the beginners. You and George and Charlie are true ambassadors of the sport, and have already helped and inspired me tons, even without knowing it sometimes.

Thanks for your help with that wild dust devil ride at BSOAZ. I need to get me some more of that!
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2010, 01:13 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingj View Post
Mike,

If we fly this weekend I'd like to take a look at it. I might jump on the Stobel list at SUSA.

J
Sure Jeremy, any time. Maybe we can get out on Saturday if the weather cooperates. Should we try for a session at BDO? I will bring my transmitter mitt and practice the quick right hand insertion after launch. Hmm, that could be tough...

J with a Stobel? Dangerous! You are already scary good with that Raptr. Now we just need to get you out to a contest.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 01:19 AM
The Real J
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,817 Posts
Its only scary when we almost hit at the top of our launches...

Lets plan Saturday maybe 1 or so?
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
Old Nov 11, 2010, 01:35 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post
FWIW, I'm following both threads.
Hi Tim C.! It was nice meeting you and your dad at BSOAZ, and a pleasure to fly with and time for you. I really enjoyed watching you launch the doodoo out of that Concept. You can flat out chuck that thing, and solidly kicked my butt in the competition. I'm gunning for ya next time though . Hope to see you post here often.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 01:45 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingj View Post
Its only scary when we almost hit at the top of our launches...

Lets plan Saturday maybe 1 or so?
If you become Stobelized then we won't have to worry about that, as your launches will be topping out well above mine.

1 PM at BDO sounds good. Anyone else want to join us? Jim, Greg, Matt, Nate, Adrian, Alex? Maybe we could even do that video launch clinic we've been talking about. I'll bring the camera.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 01:51 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherwoodski View Post
Howdy all,

To my knowledge there is only myself and possibly one other DLG'er in the Treasure Valley. That would be Boise, Meridian, Nampa and all the outskirts. My wife is from Hurricane, I have daughter in SLC, and another in Happy Valley going to the Y. Visit Utah regularly. Now I only need a travel DLG since we downsized to a Corolla. I'll definetly be keeping in touch with this thread.

Loid
Alright Idaho! I knew there had to be someone up there, and you are a DLG flyer to boot . Come join us any time Loid. Just get one of those car top luggage rack travel pods, a long skinny one that will fit your wing. What plane are you flying?
Old Nov 11, 2010, 06:13 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherwoodski View Post
Howdy all,

To my knowledge there is only myself and possibly one other DLG'er in the Treasure Valley. That would be Boise, Meridian, Nampa and all the outskirts. My wife is from Hurricane, I have daughter in SLC, and another in Happy Valley going to the Y. Visit Utah regularly. Now I only need a travel DLG since we downsized to a Corolla. I'll definetly be keeping in touch with this thread.

Loid
Welcome, and thanks for posting. I have a good friend in Mountain Home, and get up there occasionally. If I have room next time I come up, I'll put a DLG in and try to meet up with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
1 PM at BDO sounds good. Anyone else want to join us? Jim, Greg, Matt, Nate, Adrian, Alex? Maybe we could even do that video launch clinic we've been talking about. I'll bring the camera.
Wish I could join you all on Saturday, but I'll be at Crystal Hot Springs with the Boy Scouts.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Nov 11, 2010, 08:31 AM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,720 Posts
Mike,maybe pm LostVisual. Mike in Boise,Idaho. Mike used to live in Tucson and really enjoyed flying the dlgs. When he moved to Idaho, didn't find too many dlg pilots. He might be interested in flying some of the Utah contests.
Also, I am curious,up in Utah how many months of the year can you actually fly?
Also glad to hear that Jfinch is on board. Very talented flier and builder.
-Dave
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Nov 11, 2010, 09:37 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shhhhh! View Post
Also, I am curious,up in Utah how many months of the year can you actually fly?
Also glad to hear that Jfinch is on board. Very talented flier and builder.
-Dave
Dave, those of us who are truly addicted fly all year long. We use transmitter mitt's, gloves, portable space heaters... you get the idea. It will be my first winter flying DLG's, as is the case with most everyone else in our group, so we'll have to see how it goes.

-Jim
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Nov 11, 2010, 09:45 AM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Joined Jul 2004
5,720 Posts
Jim, You guys are tough!!lol.... Thermal activity should still be excellent. I would encourage everyone to learn to ballast up your dlgs..makes a big difference in the wind. With George's help I can now ballast my dlg's. It's like adding another weapon to the arsenal..
-Dave
Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:50 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,953 Posts
Yeah, that ballast mod George was doing on everyone's Stobels was pretty slick. I think he spent all day Friday getting other competitor's planes ready to fly, and neglecting his own. What a guy. I'm gonna have to try that mod on mine. By the way Dave, how is your Stobel configured? What servos? Did you use the stock string/spring controls or go with Georgie's solid pushrods? How much nose weight did you have to add, and what is the AUW?
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:12 AM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Joined Jul 2004
5,720 Posts
I went with solid push rods. Guz actually built the plane for me.. He used .020 wire with #24 etched teflon tubing. The teflon tubing was purchased from tailbooms.com. The tubing was placed internally using a series of external magnets on the boom. A piece of music wire was placed inside the tubing so the magnets would then suck the tubing/wire against the internal fuselage wall.Super glue was then flowed down the tubing in order to glue the tubing to the internal fuselage wall.
.020 wire is plenty strong. The key is to have the teflon tubing supported all the way from the servo to the control horn. The elevator and rudder surfaces are very tight.
-using a 2s 350 mah lipo
-a PD Lipo regulator
-7 gm of nose weight
-Jr 285 servos for elevator and Rudder..placed near the rear of the fuselage.
73mm from the LE for the cg.
AUW was 9.2 Oz
My Stobel had been severely crashed and repaired before the contest so weighs about 10 0z without ballast. Seems to fly great with the additional weight and ballast.
I intend to always practice flying it with ballast, even in calm conditions.
-Dave
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:28 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,953 Posts
Wow, yours was a light one in the beginning. I think the latest versions are heavier due to strengthening of the boom near the tail. My components are identical to yours, and just doing a dry mock up I get around 9.6 oz without any control system or glue. By the time I add pushrods and then 15g of nose weight to balance at 73mm it will be just over 10 oz. But that is with the servos crammed as far forward as possible in the pod, totally blocking access to the battery, but allowing use of the stock ballast system. Moving servos back to allow for battery access and thereby preventing use of stock ballast, plus adding even more nose weight to balance, I think AUW will end up near 10.5 oz. Using the the stock pull/spring instead of pushrods may save a half ounce off that.

Maybe I shouldn't worry so much about the weight anyway...
Last edited by like.2.fly; Nov 11, 2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:40 AM
Joined Sep 2004
793 Posts
Flew my V3 at 11.5 oz(2oz ballast) in the flyoffs, light conditions. No problem, carries it very well.
JOLOVINS is offline Find More Posts by JOLOVINS
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:46 AM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Joined Jul 2004
5,720 Posts
Mike at 10 to 10.5 oz your Stobel will be able to fly in almost any conditions. Would need
another 28 to 42 gms for really windy conditions.