Old May 18, 2011, 10:49 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishjunky View Post
How's the new Vandal flying?
I've had this Vandal kit waiting patiently on my workbench for about 6 months. Finally got around to finishing it. Put 285's in the fuselage, D47's in the wings (RDS), Rhino 360 lipo, Skip Miller regulator, switchjack, curved blade, and pull/pull string controls. All up weight is 257g (9.0 oz). Custom made a carbon wrapped threaded pylon mount so the horiz stab is removable. Also made ballast sticks of 1 and 2 ounces that are held under the extended canopy by the wing mount bolts. I haven't flown it empty yet, but it flies fantastic with the 1 oz ballast. Can't say enough good about how Vandal's fly! This will be my primary practice plane and comp backup for the Stobels.
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Last edited by like.2.fly; May 18, 2011 at 10:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2011, 10:53 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecirque View Post
Awesome screen shots! My favorite is the bottom right with your plane disappearing into the sunshine..... Too cool!

Hey, by the way, I got a nice little package from Jim yesterday. Thanks for the extra effort! Wasn't expecting that! Thanks a lot!!
You're welcome. Now get that puppy put together and let's go fly! You will love the TS2 Viper.

I still have one more kit if somebody wants it. We need another new recruit...
Old May 18, 2011, 11:02 AM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,050 Posts
I started on the TSOL last night. I actually started Jim's and mine, just did the sanding on the pod to receive the boom completely as well as sanded the horiz stab mount to the boom shape. Then I thought I better stop before I build Jims plane for him!!!!!

So sorry Jim, I did some of the tedious stuff already for you.

Also for fun I weighed the 2 kits. They are w/in a few grams of each other, which is probably close enough to say they weight the exact same..... How do they do it???? The B3 kits were same way. Out of 5 kits on the B3's they were all w/in a few grams as well!!!!!

As for the kit Mike, I am kinda bummed that we did not have one lurker pick up one of the kits, they have all been DLG'ers already. Not a bad thing as the TSOL's are killer planes and plenty good to compete with, but woulda been nice to get a 94% ship @ 30% of the price!!!!!

Oh well......
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old May 18, 2011, 11:38 AM
Cottonwood Heights
Joined Jul 2005
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post

As for the kit Mike, I am kinda bummed that we did not have one lurker pick up one of the kits, they have all been DLG'ers already. Not a bad thing as the TSOL's are killer planes and plenty good to compete with, but woulda been nice to get a 94% ship @ 30% of the price!!!!!

Oh well......
If it makes you feel any better, I don't think I've graduated from "lurker" status yet. I've flown once with you guys and I can still count my number of launches on two hands... Almost.

I should have never purchased that B2 used/built as I think there is too much knowledge to be gained building the rig you're gonna fly. Now I'm paying the price trying to fix this boom with materials I don't fully understand yet.
thecirque is offline Find More Posts by thecirque
Old May 18, 2011, 11:40 AM
Joined May 2002
17,050 Posts
OK, come to my place tonight @ 9:00 and lets get that boom fixed!!!!!

I live in AF. WE MUST GET THAT FIXED!!!!!!!
Old May 18, 2011, 12:24 PM
Cottonwood Heights
Joined Jul 2005
168 Posts
Tonight may work.... I'll get back to ya shortly. Let me check with the "fun cop".
thecirque is offline Find More Posts by thecirque
Old May 18, 2011, 02:29 PM
Joined May 2002
17,050 Posts
PS, we are right at 2 months until the hottest day of the year!!!!!

Did you hear that weatherman????? LEts get working on at least making an effort!!!!!!!

May showers bring June flooding.

And in just 3 short months, the trees that dont even have leaves on them yet up in the mountains will start the fall color display and it will start getting a chill @ night,

and then in just 4 months it will be time for BSOUT!!!!!!!

If we have a good turnout from out of town it will be a VERY NICE time of year to be in Utah.
Last edited by JONBOYLEMON; May 18, 2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old May 18, 2011, 04:22 PM
A different attitude to RC
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
2,715 Posts
Jim (old Jim!), the build thread I used is: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=topsky
extremewing is offline Find More Posts by extremewing
Old May 18, 2011, 05:23 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremewing View Post
Jim (old Jim!), the build thread I used is: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=topsky
Mike N., I recommend you follow that thread for your TS2 as well. Looks like a very clean, simple, quality build. Some guys are doing top drive aileron linkages for a little less drag, but it complicates the build a fair amount. I do recommend that removable stab mod as it is really nice for traveling when packing the plane into a box or case, so everything can lay flat and take minimal space.
Old May 18, 2011, 08:12 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
On an unrelated note, I think I may start building an Ark...
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old May 19, 2011, 12:11 AM
Joined May 2002
17,050 Posts
Mikes B2 boom, all better, easy fix, and hopefully it looks good when the tape comes off. If you are reading this Mike the tape could come off now as the left over epoxy is nice and hard now. But if you are patient leave it until morning for an even better finish. I suspect we added less than 1/2 a gram to the tail. Hopefully even less. Make sure to check cg prior to next flight Mike.

I also did the Kevlar pod reinforcement on my new TSOL. I will let Nice Jim do his own as thats 1/2 the fun. I took off 2 grams on the sanding of gel coat so this may even save weight by 1/123rd of a gram!!!!

My eyes are just now startin to itch. I suspect a full onset of ODFDLGW about lunch on Friday!!!!

And Saturday morning I am scheduled for treatments starting @ 8:00 ish at the farm. Geesh, I hope I get better!!!!!!
Last edited by JONBOYLEMON; May 19, 2011 at 12:53 AM.
Old May 19, 2011, 11:07 AM
Jeremy D Stott
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,822 Posts
Hi guys. I still plan on flying as soon as the rain and construction is finished. Probably the construction at least.

Mike - Can't wait to see the Vandal.

Jim - Just make sure when you build that Ark it is reinforced with carbon. You might want to consider a D box version just in case you have a collision or two.

Good to hear DLG is growing without me. Don't lose faith in me yet!
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
Old May 19, 2011, 11:10 AM
Joined May 2002
17,050 Posts
Whats up Truck Stop?????

You gonna make it to the flip off on June 4th????

You better!!!!
Old May 19, 2011, 11:19 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,075 Posts
Hey Jeremy! Glad to see you are still alive. We've missed you.

Yes, you MUST come to our monthly mini-comp on the 4th at Old Mill, hopefully sporting your new ride. So have you been Stobelized yet?

The new Vandal looks exactly like the old one...
Old May 19, 2011, 12:27 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingj View Post
Jim - Just make sure when you build that Ark it is reinforced with carbon. You might want to consider a D box version just in case you have a collision or two.

Good to hear DLG is growing without me. Don't lose faith in me yet!
Design changed to include CF D-Box, good thing I didn't get very far in my build

Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post

The new Vandal looks exactly like the old one...
ummm, have you seen your old Vandal lately... I'm guessing your new one looks much nicer
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky