HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2011, 04:31 AM
Watch your 6
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Jul 2010
710 Posts
Thanks to carlsoti, Mike and Jim for the tutorial; I had no clue. Sounds like fun for the pilot and tuff on the timer.

If we don't get some normal weather soon, we will have to put pontoons on our planes because all that snow you see in the background of jfinch's photo will all come down at once.
6Killer is offline Find More Posts by 6Killer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2011, 04:38 AM
Watch your 6
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Jul 2010
710 Posts
Thinking about the quick turn around task. Does the timer need 2 stopwatches? The guy needs to be practiced, because it is just dawning on me that with one stopwatch the timer will have to remember the last second he saw before he stops, clears and restarts the time for the next launch, then write it down post haste. With 2 stopwatches the timer can alternate then look at the time recorded on the other watch, write it down and clear it ready for the next round.

Sorry for all this. My mind runs fast early in the morning. I went to bed at 9:00, started dreaming about DLG and it was so exciting it woke me up.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 08:56 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,993 Posts
Quick turnaround timing isn't has hard as it sounds, although somewhat intimidating for new guys. Two stopwatches are not necessary. Might be helpful, IF you can keep track of them both. But I find it more complicated, and forget which watch is for what. Best for me to just use one. YMMV

Do the following:
1. Count down the last 15 or 20 seconds (or whatever your pilot asks for) out loud.
2. Stop the watch when pilot touches the wingtip.
3. Glance quickly at the time, say it out loud, and REMEMBER it, whole seconds only (like 1:58, all decimal places are dropped, no rounding).
4. Reset watch to zero.
5. Start it again when pilot releases the plane.
6. Write time on scorecard.

Steps 2-5 do happen fast when timing for a good pilot, but it isn't unmanageable after a little practice. One other important thing is to stay out of your pilot's way! He is highly focused, in a hurry, and not watching out for you. You should also try to look up and make sure he is clear to launch and not about to SAM (Surface to Air Missile) another glider. Truly it sounds more difficult than it is.
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Apr 18, 2011, 09:45 AM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,906 Posts
Reality............

Do the following:
1. Count down the last 15 or 20 seconds (or whatever your pilot asks for) out loud.
2. Stop the watch when pilot lands and plane comes to rest, or somehow catches the plane. This is a big one for whoever is timing for Jim as his plane will be cartwheeling and flipping end over end for some time after it hits the ground. All that time, until it stops beating the ground into submission is counted.
3. Glance quickly at the time, say it out loud, and REMEMBER it, whole seconds only (like 1:06, all decimal places are dropped, no rounding).
4. Reset watch to zero.
5. Start it again when pilot releases the plane. Dont worry, this will not happen very fast.
6. Write time on scorecard.
7. Distract other pilots while they are flying with loud, in accurate statements, like "30 seconds left in the round" when there is really 20 minutes left.
8. Point out any Disney characters visable in the clouds and make sure other pilots are trying to see them.....
9. Use your imagination, remember you want your pilot to do the best.....

Steps 2-6 will take a while for everyone in our group except Mike, One other important thing is to keep your pilot happy. If he is thirsty, get him a drink, if he is hungry, go get him something to eat. He is using 117% of his brains capacity to just fly the XPS thing, he's gonna be burning some calories, its your job to keep him fed and watered. You should also try to look up and make sure he is clear to launch and not about to SAM (Surface to Air Missile) another glider. Truly, just make sure your pilot is happy, and it will be just fine.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Apr 18, 2011, 09:47 AM
Joined May 2002
16,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch View Post
So I didn't make the GMo task yesterday, but at least I did wear my Red Rock's t
Does not count.......
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:38 AM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
Mike has a DLG!!!!!!

Come out to the WAR and afterwords fly the contest with us.

We can help you on setup, what TX do you have????

The video is soo dark in sections I am kinda bummed. I will spend some time on it later, but here she is all sped up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWZMDWFiRZ4
That is cool hope you all had fun thanks for your support.
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:10 AM
Joined May 2002
16,906 Posts
We were doin it for the George!!!!! We are all proud to have flown with you George...... You are gonna tear it up @ worlds!!!!

PS Old Jim, do you have a link for which stop watches you got??? I want to get one of them.
Last edited by JONBOYLEMON; Apr 18, 2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:37 AM
Joined May 2002
16,906 Posts
All right kids. Study up!!!!! Here are the task for this weekends contest which is due to start @ 1:00 ish at the sod farm. Start time may be moved back a bit depending on when the WAR wraps up.

The 3 task will be.

Task B Next to last and last
Task Q Junbalaya http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=39
Task H 1-2-3-4 in any order
Task E Poker

This would take a while, but I am hoping we could all do everything.
Here is a thought to speed things up if we needed to. We could self time all the task except the Jun task which I think we need timers for, AND, I think it would be a great task for practice on new timers as it would go pretty quick and is repetitive giving you a chance to improve each time.

The poker at the end will be brutal, but I like it!!!!! Plus Jun would LOVE poker as the last task...

What think YE???

Also any un-intentional jettisoning will cause a ZERO for the flight!!!!!! Remember if you jettison anything, immediately say, "I meant to do that!"
Last edited by JONBOYLEMON; Apr 18, 2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:51 AM
Watch your 6
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Jul 2010
710 Posts
Quote:
Reality............

This is a big one for whoever is timing for Jim as his plane will be cartwheeling and flipping end over end for some time after it hits the ground. All that time, until it stops beating the ground into submission is counted.
Dang Jon, you were watching me pretty well. I was hoping nobody saw that. Good thing the ground was really soggy.

I went with the watch that flyingj suggested here:here
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:55 AM
Joined May 2002
16,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Killer View Post
Dang Jon, you were watching me pretty well. I was hoping nobody saw that. Good thing the ground was really soggy.

I went with the watch that flyingj suggested here:here
The Video had some funny moments in there Jim. When I am not feeling Lazy I will do some editing....
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:07 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,583 Posts
Quote:
All right kids. Study up!!!!! Here are the task for this weekends contest which is due to start @ 1:00 ish at the sod farm. Start time may be moved back a bit depending on when the WAR wraps up.

http://www.f3k.com.au/images/stories...08november.pdf

The 3 task will be.

Task C Next to last and last
Task Q Junbalaya
Task P 1-2-3-4 in any order
Task I Poker
This would take a while, but I am hoping we could all do everything.
Here is a thought to speed things up if we needed to. We could self time all the task except the Jun task which I think we need timers for, AND, I think it would be a great task for practice on new timers as it would go pretty quick and is repetitive giving you a chance to improve each time.

The poker at the end will be brutal, but I like it!!!!! Plus Jun would LOVE poker as the last task...

What think YE???
My opinion is that if we have more than 6 pilots that we use timers for the events. We all need to learn to time (help) too. And it means one less thing to keep track of as a pilot. I think we could time ourselves for the Junbalaya task since it's so long.

I don't really like last 2 flights or poker (too much strategizing ), but I'll fly whatever y'all want.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:15 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,201 Posts
Jon, Are you going to order some stop watches? Does it save us anything if we order together (read as I would like 3).

As far as the contest goes, those tasks sound fine to me. I don't like poker, but I do like the other strategy tasks.
Fishjunky is online now Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:30 PM
Joined May 2002
16,906 Posts
I dont like Poker either, but since its Jun's day, why not!!!! Learning to fly Poker could come in VERY handy though.

Kid Jim, I just ordered 3 of them for less than $10.00 to my door.

I picked the task I like the least and I figured everyone else would feel same way. So it will be good practice!

And if everyone is ok w/ a long day, lets have timers for all the task. The Jun task would be very hard to self time I think.

Also it would be VERY good for everyone to think through the task as they are all very thinking type task. Run through a couple of made up flights in your head and you will see that depending on how each flight goes may determine what goal of next flight will be. Yes your head may explode!!!!!!

ie, on the 1-2-3-4 task you start off and find nothing but sink and will be lucky to make 1 minute, do you land quick and try other air, or go for 1 minute. Next flight you catch a baby boomer, do you ride it for the 4 minutes and hope it does not fall apart? or get the 3 minute, next flight is nothing but sink again and you get under a minute, next you catch a BIG boomer, you ride it for 4 minutes, etc, etc, lots of potential ways to play, and if played poorly it will hurt. You will also need your timer to help you make good descisions based upon how much time is on clock at various stages of the 10 minute window.
Last edited by JONBOYLEMON; Apr 18, 2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:51 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,993 Posts
Quote:
...Here are the task for this weekends contest which is due to start @ 1:00 ish at the sod farm...
Task C Next to last and last
Task Q Junbalaya
Task P 1-2-3-4 in any order
Task I Poker
...We could self time all the task except the Jun task...
Your task letters are messed up. That FAI doc you were looking at is OLD. Next to last and last is task "B". 1-2-3-4 is task "H", Poker is task "E".

The list looks good to me, although I dislike last 2 and poker. Still have to fly them at every competition, so we better practice them!

I would vote AGAINST self-timing for several reasons:
(1) Being a timer is a great learning opportunity, which we all need more of. Learn more about being a good timer, and about being a better pilot by observing the one you are timing for.
(2) Having timers is a safety precaution. With everyone flying at the same time there is nobody directing traffic and looking out for safety. Much more likely to have issues.
(3) It gives all pilots a chance to put their plane on the charger between rounds, which we will need.
(4) There is more interaction, camaraderie, and fun this way. Self-timing the GMo task was fun, but I really missed having a timer to talk to, give me tips, help me find lift, complain to about the conditions, etc.
(5) We want to follow F3K rules whenever possible (at least while we are learning), and that requires timers.
(6) We will get much more accurate times for our running season totals.

If we have 2 flight groups it will take us about 2.6 hours to run the sound track for these 4 tasks. So figure on a 3 hour event (if we need to shorten it then let's drop a task). I also vote to put the Junbalaya either first or last to kind of keep it separated from our regular monthly contest tasks.
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Last edited by like.2.fly; Apr 18, 2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:59 PM
Joined May 2002
16,906 Posts
Mike my thought on the Jun task was it would not be a good 1st task because we have ALOT of new blood, and almost new blood, and it will be a hard task for pilots and timers. The next to last & last are easy to time and fly, but hard to do well.

Also the Jun being the second task will be after we have all settled down a little and will hopefully have a feel for the air. So since you said I get to pick the task, they go down as listed. BAM!!!!!

Also where is the correct link? The one you posted a while ago is no good. I will edit my post and change link once someone finds the real rules.

I was also thinking the Jun would count in the scores..... Is that not what we want???

Also I will post a pic of my cheap field charging solution tonight....