SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 17, 2011, 02:12 PM
Watch your 6
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Jul 2010
710 Posts
Thanks AD. Alex was claiming first place for the number of launches....I beg to differ. Hehe.
6Killer is offline Find More Posts by 6Killer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2011, 02:14 PM
Watch your 6
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Jul 2010
710 Posts
What is a small plate of JUNbalaya called? 10x30, 5x1, 2x1.5, and 1 2min flight. That is what I am going to be chewing on till Saturday. 10x30s will get me OILed up.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 02:24 PM
A different attitude to RC
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
2,735 Posts
Yes, you may be able to claim that title! The video could verify that :-)

Anyone up for some flying today? Its a north wind, not too strong.
extremewing is offline Find More Posts by extremewing
Old Apr 17, 2011, 05:27 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Killer View Post
...Since I may have a problem hitting 1 min I made up a task for me to worm up for the JUNbalya called the 10x30s...
Jim, 10x30's is indeed excellent practice! In fact, work your way up to about 60x30's in a row during a 1/2 hour session. I do that a lot, just for a fun little workout. Don't even worry about making the 30 seconds at first. Just launch, setup the landing, catch (by the nose at first, wingtip later), and immediate relaunch. Work on your throwing form and technique, not necessarily height. That will come later once you commit all the right movements to muscle memory, which pure repetition like this will do. Then you can start adding more speed and power. Don't worry about struggling at first. We all did (still do), and it takes lots of practice. Quick turnarounds are also great for refining your airplane control and hand catching skills, learning to make good use of flaps for speed and descent control, pushing over at top of launch without stalling, switching between flight modes, etc. Eventually add a talking timer set on a repeating loop countdown, and start getting used to doing wingtip catches within 1 or 2 seconds of the end of each flight window. I can't think of a better exercise to teach all the basic skills that DLG demands, and they will become automatic after enough reps. Plus it is lots of fun!

Then you can start thinking about the finer points of airframe tuning, air reading, thermal flying, etc...

I love this stuff!
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Last edited by like.2.fly; Apr 17, 2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 06:27 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,091 Posts
Old Jim

I will be planning on ALOT of DLG practice @ AD this year in the evenings.

Come join me. I will try and post well in advance.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Apr 17, 2011, 09:54 PM
Watch your 6
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Jul 2010
710 Posts
Mike - thanks. Sounds like a lot of fun. I watched AD do launches, catch, and relaunch and yes 30 seconds doesn't matter. But later, with a timer (person) it would build good communication skills for the two of you.

Jon - I am looking forward to evening with the blasters.

Mike - I have a question on the JUNbalaya. If you are on a 1 min event and you land in 58 seconds, do you just put a zero there and go on to the next 1 min event or do you redo the event until you get it?
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:02 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,306 Posts
I could be wrong, but the GMo was flown like a "Ladder task" where you need to get the time before you move on. The Junbalaya will be flown like the other "turnaround tasks", like the 5x2 and 10x1. In these, you do not need to get the full time. In fact, if you know it takes you 4 seconds to land, grab the plane, and re-launch, for a 1 minute flight, you would want to land around 56 seconds. These are called turnaround tasks because in order to do REALLY well in a F3K competition, you really need to be able to tip catch the plane while pre-coiled for launch, then spin and relaunch. This is "The Turnaround." Jun has shown the ability to repeatably do turnarounds right around 1 second in calm air, or very predictable light winds, and quite frequently can do it in less than 1 second in a heated contest. That's a lot of quick stopwatch work for his timer. I've got fumbly fingers, so I'll never OFFER to time for him, but if he calls on me, I'd do it in a nano-second.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:13 PM
Joined May 2002
17,091 Posts
Yep, I am hoping to practice turn arounds this week. I can see that in the wind if its bumpy this is a tricky and dangerous thing. Hopefully we have good weather Saturday, cuz this week looks like to be a serious dose of El Crappytan!!!!!

I also was thinking that not getting the full time on the Junbalya is not a big deal as it is still counting towards total.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:36 PM
Joined May 2002
17,091 Posts
Burn rate on the B3
49 mAh in 15 minutes
Then 169 in however long we flew after the contest. I had guessed 40 minutes but I bet it was longer. So it looks like 1 hour would be VERY SAFE for flying times.

Mike what task did we do last month??
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:37 PM
I sink, therefore I am...
United States, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Jun 2009
523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
Burn rate on the B3
49 mAh in 15 minutes
Then 169 in however long we flew after the contest. I had guessed 40 minutes but I bet it was longer. So it looks like 1 hour would be VERY SAFE for flying times.
What servos are you using in the B3?
espe is offline Find More Posts by espe
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:55 PM
Joined May 2002
17,091 Posts
pair of each
jr 285
hyperion DS09
Last edited by JONBOYLEMON; Apr 18, 2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 11:46 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,101 Posts
Jon I think you meant JR 285 servos, not 248, right?

Last month's tasks were Ladder, 5x2, and All-Up.

The others have explained the JUNBalaya task well. Here's my 2 cents... No there are no minimum times needed to advance to the next flight (that's what a "Ladder" task is). The JUNbalaya is a custom "quick turnaround" task. It has a total of 18 flights you must do, and you only have 18 throws in which to do them. So every single launch and flight counts. Nothing gets thrown out. You score every second your plane is in the air, up to the max time allowed for each individual flight. If you are trying for a 1 minute flight and only get 30 seconds, then you score those 30 seconds for that flight and move on to the next flight in the task. If you overfly the max time, for example you fly 1 minute and 5 seconds, then you score the max points for that flight, but just wasted 5 possible seconds off your next flight. Just remember the goal is to get as close as you can to the exact max on each flight, and waste the least amount of time possible on launching for the next one. A perfect score is impossible. But someone like Jun might max each flight and only drop 18 seconds (1 second for each of the 18 turnarounds). That's about as close to perfect as you can get. I definitely won't get anywhere near that!
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:55 AM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,791 Posts
Just to be clear for the real newcomers here. The Junbalaya task might be flown like that, but the real F3K 5x2 is unlimited flight attempts within the working window and you score your 5 longest flights (max of any single flight of 2 minutes). It's really only a 5x2 for the good pilots. It's a "5 longest flights" for us mortals.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Apr 18, 2011, 01:04 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Finchster, did you get out and fly the GMo task today? Did you get someone to throw for you?
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Apr 18, 2011, 01:05 AM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,791 Posts
So I didn't make the GMo task yesterday, but at least I did wear my Red Rock's t
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch