Old Apr 15, 2011, 02:02 PM
The Real J
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post

....Blah Blah Blah.... Etc.

Also I was thinking I may just hook up my Apache 2500 charger to a 2200 3S pack and use that as my DLG field charger and just charge whenever I am not flying. Would be a nice little package....

Blah Blah
Looks like you can go up to 15V on the Apache. Good idea Jon. I need to set mine up like this.
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2011, 02:46 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,671 Posts
Really not a big fan of the wind......

But all is not lost, I was able to range test the B3 on the ground to 800' and never lost a signal with my 4 channel Assan park flyer rx in any orientaion. The only way I lost signal was when I ducked behind a berm and lost line of sight. I figure in the air I ought to improve range.

So here is the question. I have proven this rx @ 1 mile. If in the B3 I have signal in any orientaion @ 800' I should have it at 1 mile????

For my test I powered on the RX with flaps deployed and the tails @ full throws. If there was a loss of signal that is the position it went to. The only time that happened was behind the hill.

Thanks for your help Jim.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Last edited by JONBOYLEMON; Apr 15, 2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 03:32 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingj View Post
Looks like you can go up to 15V on the Apache. Good idea Jon. I need to set mine up like this.
We found one minor glitch in that setup, it doesn't have an adjustable mAh output, so you'd be charging close to 2C (unless your AD with the DLB).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
Really not a big fan of the wind......

But all is not lost, I was able to range test the B3 on the ground to 800' and never lost a signal with my 4 channel Assan park flyer rx in any orientaion. The only way I lost signal was when I ducked behind a berm and lost line of sight. I figure in the air I ought to improve range.

So here is the question. I have proven this rx @ 1 mile. If in the B3 I have signal in any orientaion @ 800' I should have it at 1 mile????

For my test I powered on the RX with flaps deployed and the tails @ full throws. If there was a loss of signal that is the position it went to. The only time that happened was behind the hill.

Thanks for your help Jim.
Jon, you're welcome. I really wanted to see her fly today, but I understand not wanting to maiden in the "gale" . Well really it was only 14~20mph.

While AD was on a call I started working on the launch trying to stay on the balls of my feet, and it was showing some improved launch height. Then just before launch I caught sight of a thermal indicator flying through about 60' above the houses, well within launch reach. I threw directly into the thermal and circled around with this hawk till I couldn't tell orientation any longer, had to be 1/4 mile or more down wind and 600' up. Threw it into speed mode and she came right home. That was one of the coolest flights I've had, circling with that hawk, I was even polite enough to let him set the direction of turns since he was there first.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Apr 15, 2011, 03:35 PM
Joined May 2002
16,671 Posts
And he was probably higher......

Cool flight Kid Jim.

Also the Apache goes @ 250 so we could charge below 1C.

And Yes, I need to take Juns advice and stall on balls of feet. Wait a minite..... what does that mean????? I am putting weight on front of foot and toes now and it also seems to take some of the shock out!
Old Apr 15, 2011, 03:38 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,188 Posts
well that will work then.

I'm sure I was higher than him at one point, but not for long.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Apr 15, 2011, 05:13 PM
Always Twirling for Freedom!
Utah, planet earth
Joined Mar 2009
803 Posts
2 flights at Old Mill WITH AD over 1000', the one the altimeter didn't mess up on... 1326'!
Extremeace is offline Find More Posts by Extremeace
Old Apr 15, 2011, 05:16 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremeace View Post
I'm making scorecards for tomorrow, unless someone already has...
Cool, thanks!

I also made a custom sound file for the 60 minute task that we can play over the PA system. That way we don't need to keep track of window time. It announces a 3 minute prep time, then sounds a horn at the start of the 60 minute window. It will make remaining time announcements every 10 minutes, every minute for the last 10 minutes, and an increasing granularity countdown in the final minute.

Everybody be sure to wear your PJ bottoms in honor of George!
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Apr 15, 2011, 05:56 PM
Watch your 6
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Jul 2010
710 Posts
Yeaaaah! Skip Miller came through form me; I just got my regulator. It is the last thing I needed to be ready to fly. Trouble is the conditions are too scary/windy for a maiden on the B3.
6Killer is offline Find More Posts by 6Killer
Last edited by 6Killer; Apr 15, 2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 06:36 PM
Watch your 6
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Jul 2010
710 Posts
Wow! My target CG is 80mm from the LE and it looks to be at about 81mm. Sooo close.
6Killer is offline Find More Posts by 6Killer
Old Apr 15, 2011, 06:52 PM
High to fly & no wing to fling
United States, UT, Farmington
Joined May 2009
235 Posts
I'm looking forward to the DLG action tomorrow a 2pm!

I still need to install the control rods and the throwing peg and I think I will wait until I get your thoughts.
DukeStarHopper is offline Find More Posts by DukeStarHopper
Old Apr 15, 2011, 09:26 PM
Utah, planet earth
Joined Mar 2009
803 Posts
Nice... I got time cards ready... How are we gunna do timing?
Old Apr 15, 2011, 09:30 PM
Joined May 2002
16,671 Posts
Duke, you need to get that peg in tonight.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 09:58 PM
Joined May 2002
16,671 Posts
My wife is the best. She let me stop and fly on a date!!!!

Maiden. Check!!!! I think I'm gonna like the B3.......

CLIP0003 (0 min 40 sec)

The 1st disc launch of the new B3. (1 min 30 sec)
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:01 PM
Utah, planet earth
Joined Mar 2009
803 Posts
NICE!!! why didn't you twirl for freedom... I told AD to tell you; since at this very moment you're on the phone with him... But, he ignored me.
LOL...... you posted that WHILE you're on the phone! KLASSIK
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:07 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremeace View Post
Nice... I got time cards ready... How are we gunna do timing?
I think we all fly at the same time and self-time the GMo task. Nobody wants to stand around for a whole hour timing someone else. This is a simple ladder task, so if you have some kind of time piece to glance at once in a while it isn't hard to time yourself. I have practiced this several times in the past couple of weeks, and it works well enough. I use the count-up timer on my Tx that starts when I release the launch preset switch. Also tried it with a stopwatch, resetting and starting before each launch, then adding 2 or 3 seconds to the target time. We don't need to be super exact on this. Just close enough for this fun-fly charity event. I glance at the clock and make sure to overfly each target time by a few seconds, and just keep track in my head which rung I'm on. Piece of cake. You can even stop and write it down if you want to. There are several extra minutes in the window, so you don't really need to rush anything.

Next weekend for the 30 minute JUNbalaya task we will definitely need to have 2 flight groups and time for each other. That one requires more precise timing, and self-timing a quick turnaround 10x1 or 5x2 would be nearly impossible...
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly