Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:13 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherhunter View Post
...What happened at 1:38-1:40?
Watch closely and you will see Ron (in the red coat) snag his Taboo wingtip on the ground slightly just as he started into his spin. No damage, but enough to cause launchus interuptus, which caused him to miss the AllUp 3 second launch window. This was Ron's first introduction to the tasks, and his first contest experience. He did great considering that and the conditions!
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2011, 12:08 PM
excelling at mediocrity
Franktown, CO. USA
Joined Mar 2009
3,200 Posts
Red Coat Ron welcome to the most rewarding RC aircraft pursuit.

Taboos Rock...

John
gopherhunter is offline Find More Posts by gopherhunter
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2011, 12:24 PM
Must Luv DLG
USA, CO, Golden
Joined Jul 2010
1,487 Posts
Cooodos

I'm favorable impressed with your "contest" practice by running separate events by the rules, even when there is only a handful of pilots and/or a couple of hours to get together. We do have monthly club contests in Colorado, however lately we haven't made the effort to lay out a field and run 1 or 2 or 3 different tasks in a less formal atmosphere. Normally we just toss AULD, and that doesn't do much to enhance competition skills; it's great for comradery and that in itself adds power to the play.

You guys are raising the bar......I love that.
Launch-1 is offline Find More Posts by Launch-1
Last edited by Launch-1; Mar 27, 2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 12:31 PM
excelling at mediocrity
Franktown, CO. USA
Joined Mar 2009
3,200 Posts
Looks like Team Utah! is gunnin' for Colorado.

(Can I say gunnin'?)
gopherhunter is offline Find More Posts by gopherhunter
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2011, 12:38 PM
Always Twirling for Freedom!
Utah, planet earth
Joined Mar 2009
824 Posts
Dang I had fun! Who is that handsome guy in the black coat in those videos? What a great launch he has!
Mike... you sure we can't do those weekly?
Extremeace is offline Find More Posts by Extremeace
Old Mar 27, 2011, 02:04 PM
A different attitude to RC
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
2,781 Posts
Anyone want to join us today for some flying at 123rd?
extremewing is offline Find More Posts by extremewing
Old Mar 27, 2011, 02:40 PM
Always Twirling for Freedom!
Utah, planet earth
Joined Mar 2009
824 Posts
Oooh!!! I"M IN!
Extremeace is offline Find More Posts by Extremeace
Old Mar 27, 2011, 07:03 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
Hey Mike how are we gonna score our season????

I think we ought to figure that we can drop a certain amount of rounds, vs events, as that will encourage us to attend as many as possible.

It also seems that we are all pretty close in flying skills and that we are not different enough to need classes. Well unless you want to be in the Pro class.
I don't know. We're just making this all up as we go along. I'm open to suggestions.

Here's mine... For simplicity's sake we just keep one running F3KScore data file. No class divisions. Every time we have a contest we just add those new rounds to the file, and also add in any new pilot names that join us as we go along. Yesterday we flew rounds 1, 2, and 3. Next month we will fly rounds 4, 5, and 6...; and so on. By the end of the year we will have one big score sheet, the equivallent of a single contest with something like 30 rounds or more. The program will automatically follow the built-in F3K guidelines for dropping the lowest scoring rounds for each pilot (approximately 1 drop every 5 rounds). We will just let it do its thing with those. If you miss a contest (and most guys probably will at least once or twice), then those effectively become your dropped rounds for the year. But if you miss too many then you will end up having to keep a few zeros. This encorages max participation, still allows for some misses, and isn't overly complicated. The program will also keep the running totals sorted in descending order, so you can see at a glance how you are doing in the standings thus far. We could at least start with this format, even if we decide to do something different later. At least we will have all the raw data, and can then tally it any way we wish. This whole scoring thing is just a good way to track our progress, plus generate a little friendly and healthy competition at the same time, which is the fastest way to making us all better F3K pilots. Also great training for other regional contests we may attend. And it's FUN!

Other suggestions?
Old Mar 27, 2011, 07:21 PM
Full disclosure, not sponsored
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,131 Posts
I like the above method, Are you ok making it to all the events? Since you have the system its kinda important you make it. But I bet we would all be a little closer to the top if you didnt make a couple sessions.....
JONBOYLEMON is online now Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:36 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,131 Posts
I hope to make them all. If not then I'll try to make arrangements for someone else to bring the gear that time.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:29 PM
Full disclosure, not sponsored
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,131 Posts
My eyes are already startin to itch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But it looks like they will be fine for several days as skiing looks like the sport of choice for this week, but Friday looks like it may the best day for flippin.
JONBOYLEMON is online now Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:57 PM
A different attitude to RC
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
2,781 Posts
Jon, are you forecasting very bad weather?
extremewing is offline Find More Posts by extremewing
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:04 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Love the new avatar AD! I'm hoping that during this weeks storms I can get a patch job done on the Salonit.

Jon F., let me know if you happen to bring some CF cloth with you to work tomorrow. And best of luck with the back surgery!
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:10 AM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,850 Posts
The fabric is in my car. See you tomorrow.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:53 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch View Post
The fabric is in my car. See you tomorrow.
Awesome, thanks Finch! Any chance I could get a little bit of that fancy filler you use that doesn't sag like micro balloons?
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky