Old Nov 21, 2010, 07:35 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgeorge View Post
Ok how about the Stobel Mikey?
Will finish over Thanksgiving weekend for sure... What can I say George, I'm a slacker!
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:29 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,131 Posts
DX7 programming

Some guys in our group have Spektrum DX7 radios, and have had questions about programming them for DLG use. While most agree that this is not a great (full featured) DLG radio, it can be programmed to perform the basic necessary functions that will be sufficient to get you flying (same situation as the Airtronics RDS8000 that I currently fly with). I've been asked several times, but have never been able to help much with DX7 programming. If you are one of these then take a look at this post and links from Charlie Morris. He walks you through the process in good detail, including screen pics.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post16615073
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Nov 22, 2010, 09:31 AM
Fly Cheap. Fly Hard. Fly Daily
USA, UT, Riverton
Joined Aug 2005
381 Posts
I fly a DX7. I've been pleased with the number of mixes. It does everything I need it to do. Just have to wrap your head around some of the programming terms.

I disagree in the strongest way that it's "too limited" for DLG. Anybody who says that can't have really sat down with the manual and tried. I have triple flight modes for camber, easy-to-use flaperon setup, a convenient switch for launch, differential if needed, more mixes available than I have ever used, crow for landing with four-servo wings, etc.

Features lacking:
* Momentary switch for launch
* Convenient momentary switch for trainer mode
* Reverse differential (only ever wanted that in one plane to straighten out rolls)
redgiki is offline Find More Posts by redgiki
Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:21 AM
Jeremy D Stott
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,822 Posts
I like my JR 9303. It works great!
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:40 AM
Full disclosure, not sponsored
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingj View Post
I like my JR 9303. It works great!
Good, I already have one of those.

J, Do you fly Assan on your DLG? Is the 1S micro a good rx option. Seems like it would be.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:58 AM
I sink, therefore I am...
United States, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Jun 2009
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redgiki View Post
I fly a DX7. I've been pleased with the number of mixes. It does everything I need it to do. Just have to wrap your head around some of the programming terms. ...
I also fly a DX7. I've programmed it in both Airplane and Heli mode for DLG. If using the Heli Mode, I don't think it has enough mixes (3). I tried Heli Mode to get the 5 pt pitch curve for down trim when deploying flaperons. While it did work, I ran out of mixes and couldn't get a launch mode. The pitch curve turned out to be nearly linear anyway.

I finally went back to airplane mode, where I believe you can do almost anything (haven't tried 4 servo wings yet).

I agree w/ the missing items, although, you can get a momentary from the AUX2 switch by wrapping elastic around the back handle and the bottom of the switch post. This turns the switch into a momentary switch that you have to pull forward. This works for me, but only because I throw left handed.
espe is offline Find More Posts by espe
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:07 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,856 Posts
I've got both a DX7 and Futaba 9C and the DX7 is not the radio for a full house glider. I don't think there's enough mixes in the DX7 for 4 servo wing crow and different flight modes (camber adjustments). But most of the DLGs are just 2 servo wings aren't they? Should work out ok.

Plus both the 9C and 9303 (and their bigger brothers) have a lot of the different mixes already defaulted which makes programming a glider very easy.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:26 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
Good, I already have one of those.

J, Do you fly Assan on your DLG? Is the 1S micro a good rx option. Seems like it would be.
I'm flying Assan in my DLG's and I use the long antenna version of the 6ch receiver.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6310

I have had to remove the case for this last DLG, but I think you really need a 6ch receiver to get the mixing right. Do you still have a micro 1s receiver? I thought they had the micro servo connecors.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:43 PM
Full disclosure, not sponsored
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,134 Posts
I sold the micro to Cliff.

The micro connectors and a soldering iron work though if a guy wanted to use the 1S setup.

Not alot of great servos for 1S operation though.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:51 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
I have the 1S that we swapped last year, if you want to try it. But you will need to find some good 15oz/in torque on 3.7v or use one of those voltage boosters.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Nov 22, 2010, 01:09 PM
Jeremy D Stott
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,822 Posts
I fly Assan in my DLGs same as Jim, but use the 6 channel long antenna which has worked great. The fiberglass pod on yours though might work with a shorter antenna version, but there is also CF routed on the sides of the pod.

1s might not be enough torque for those DLGs. If you run 1s you should use a 5v booster, but I'm finding that the best and simplest option is to take Dymond D47 or D60 that are 2s compatible and run a Rhino 360 or any other 2s with similar mah.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 08:48 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
I did alright with my 7202H (JR's 72mhz DX7, heli version) until I got a good deal on a EVO. Dave Jensen set me up with an appropriate momentary switch, which I tied to the gear channel, and mixed to elevator as necessary. The thing I missed most was independant flight mode trims. While I finally figured out how to adjust trims on the flap screen while flying, it wasn't exactly easy. Before getting the EVO, I didn't know any better, and it worked fine. I still have my blaster on the 7202, and wouldn't hesitate to use it for casual flying, or as a last chance back-up in a contest situation; otherwise, I'm spoiled by the newer radio.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Last edited by carlsoti; Nov 22, 2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:52 PM
I sink, therefore I am...
United States, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Jun 2009
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post
I did alright with my 7202H (JR's 72mhz DX7, heli version) until I got a good deal on a EVO. Dave Jensen set me up with an appropriate momentary switch, which I tied to the gear channel, and mixed to elevator as necessary.
Was the momentary switch an after market addition to the radio, or just a programming setup?
espe is offline Find More Posts by espe
Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:06 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
It was added after the fact. I took out the two-way switch on the shoulder, and replaced it with the momentary switch. I swapped around the leads of some other switches, so that I could hook the gear switch to the momentary, them mix the gear function to elevator, for a launch rotation.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:33 AM
Jeremy D Stott
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,822 Posts
Nate,

You should try some of these wings on your TS1 since your wings are warped:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1343422

Another option would be to write Topsky and asked them for a deal on a replacement set.

J