HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2011, 11:09 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
I left for work in a rush this morning and neglected to load my flying stuff . So I'm out for today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingj View Post
Can't fly today. Stuck in classes.
It's alright guys, guess I'm flying solo today.

Mike, as you are our designated spokesman, would you be available/interested in joining me at the South Davis Modelers club meeting tomorrow night? 7pm in Bountiful.

Any one else care to join me in showing off our gliders?

Mike, what movies have you selected for showing next week to the IMSF guys?
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2011, 12:06 PM
Always Twirling for Freedom!
Utah, planet earth
Joined Mar 2009
815 Posts
Mornin' fellas!
Mike: I'm pretty sure I've watched all of the DVDs. Let me know what you want me to do with them. When is the IMSF thing again?
WENDOVER: I'm thinking that we use this year's opportunity to show off "UTAH DLG"! Get some matching shirts, give the announcer a script, and do a demo! Should I start a thread for it here under hand launch? Or should WE just work it out?
Flippin bird: Got the Vandal all programed in the radio. I'd love to get some FLIPPIN' HELP!
Extremeace is offline Find More Posts by Extremeace
Old Feb 09, 2011, 12:53 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishjunky View Post
...Mike, as you are our designated spokesman, would you be available/interested in joining me at the South Davis Modelers club meeting tomorrow night? 7pm in Bountiful.

Any one else care to join me in showing off our gliders?

Mike, what movies have you selected for showing next week to the IMSF guys?
I wouldn't mind joining you for that. PM me the details. What is the format? Are you doing a presentation, and if so how much time do you have? Here is what I think are the best video clips for a group, mainly due to the large format size so it will show up better on a projector:
SHORT
MEDIUM 1
MEDIUM 2
LONG
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Last edited by like.2.fly; Feb 10, 2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2011, 12:57 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremeace View Post
Mornin' fellas!
Mike: I'm pretty sure I've watched all of the DVDs. Let me know what you want me to do with them. When is the IMSF thing again?
WENDOVER: I'm thinking that we use this year's opportunity to show off "UTAH DLG"! Get some matching shirts, give the announcer a script, and do a demo! Should I start a thread for it here under hand launch? Or should WE just work it out?
Flippin bird: Got the Vandal all programed in the radio. I'd love to get some FLIPPIN' HELP!
Either get them back to me next time we meet up, or give to the next guy that speaks up. I know Jeremy & Jim would like to see them.

IMSF meeting is Tuesday, Feb 15th at the Salt Lake county complex on 2100 S State, Bldg #3, room 3000 third floor (I think). They gave me about 30 minutes to do a presentation.
Old Feb 09, 2011, 02:20 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Uh, I just got back from initial (3 tosses, 4 if you include an overhand toss) flights with the Salonit. It is clearly a better plane than I am a pilot. My radio setup... leaves much to be desired. I thought I had it all setup but on my second toss (3/4 strength or less) it went inverted and over my head before I could do anything. I pushed it back over and landed, checked the settings, made adjustments and my last throw was soft, but I felt some lift and worked it for a few turns.

Once I get the tuning right, I'll be very pleased. She is a beauty for sure.

-Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
I wouldn't mind joining you for that. PM me the details. What is the format? Are you doing a presentation, and if so how much time do you have? Here is what I think are the best video clips for a group, mainly due to the large format size so it will show up better on a projector:
SHORT
MEDIUM 1
MEDIUM 2
LONG
PM sent... I'll take a look at those videos in a bit.
Old Feb 09, 2011, 06:17 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,743 Posts
A word of advice (from recent experience)... don't fly with a dead battery .
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Feb 09, 2011, 06:21 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch View Post
Nooo, not the Blaster. Sorry to hear that man, that is how my first delamination repair came about.
Old Feb 09, 2011, 06:33 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch View Post
BTDT too. This is SOOO easy to do! Either forget to charge, or not fully charge, or 'discharge' when you think your charger is set to 'charge' , or loose track of time and overfly the battery capacity... I've done them all . Almost everyone seems to learn this lesson the hard way. Why is that?
Old Feb 09, 2011, 06:44 PM
I land when i CFIT!
USA, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2007
877 Posts
Details please Finch!

Colby
flytrip is online now Find More Posts by flytrip
Old Feb 09, 2011, 06:46 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,051 Posts
Its because he is STUPID!!!!!

But not to be outdone by Finch, "Finching" the Blaster. Now you know what it means when you hear someone say "He Finched it".

Heres a little tip, that little rubber band trick on the throttle stick is great for DLG's. Not so much when testing a new motor ESC combo in the basement @ 12:30 at night!!!!!

Oh, and its my turn to ask for pictures!!!!!!
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Feb 09, 2011, 06:48 PM
Joined May 2002
17,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishjunky View Post
Looking to get this wrapped up soon. Here is the count for ordering switchjacks, if anyone else wants in speak up before Monday.

Jon 2
Greg 3
Jeremy 1?
Jim 1
How much will they be???
Old Feb 09, 2011, 06:54 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
Oh, and its my turn to ask for pictures!!!!!!
I held off, but I knew the question would come quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
How much will they be???
The SJ's are approx $7 ea., the problem with Mouser is they don't calculate shipping until they ship. However that's about what they cost the last time.
Old Feb 09, 2011, 07:02 PM
Always Twirling for Freedom!
Utah, planet earth
Joined Mar 2009
815 Posts
AHHH... Sure is nice to have 1000mAh under the hood! How bad is it Finch? Jon... I think we need to change your prescription... Dissin' the Wendover event, calling your friends stupid... Make sure you're taking the pills with the "+" sign not the "-". JUST FOOLIN'!
Extremeace is offline Find More Posts by Extremeace
Old Feb 09, 2011, 07:07 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,743 Posts
Well I was stupid to fly it without checking the battery, but I was also very lucky in the end. I threw it 5-6 times without incident. On that last flight I thought I noticed the ailerons not moving fast enough, but I don't have enough time on the plane to know for sure and they seemed to be moving ok in my hand. I threw again. It leveled off great. Flew about 10 ft and then pitched up violently... stalled, nosed over, gained speed then looped. It continued to loop it's way over to the asphalt. Then luck be luck it fell out of the last loop to pancake onto the asphalt. Nosecone is busted up and the tail has some drag marks but all in all I felt kind of lucky. Battery tester shows 3.3 volts at a 500 ma draw.

I guess I know what I'll be doing tonight...
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Feb 09, 2011, 07:22 PM
Joined May 2002
17,051 Posts
WOW, thats about as good as that could have turned out. Lipo or nicad?

Looks like you will just have to make some new molds now and make an even better nose!!!!!

Sorry to see her looking sad like that.
And sorry about calling you stupid. That was totally irresponsible and stupid of me to call you stupid, I should have maybe said something nicer like "What an idiot" or "Dope!!!!!" ..........