HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2011, 05:55 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,097 Posts

Ummmmmmmm..... YEP That was SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh man what a hoot to nail some lift.

The TS was flying like a champ. The HS-55 are still not centering worth a darn and the JR's showed up today.

Mike, I was able to fly from where we usually park, over to the tree line on the West of the field, find some lift and work it all the way across the grass and then to the other tree line. One flight I was able to launch and immediately find lift and wander over to the tree line and then go all the way across the park and do it again. The lift got really strong the second time as I drifted over the East side trees, and had I been thinking I would have done it again but I celebrated with some loops and rolls and lost all that height. But what a blast. A few times I swear there was a peg in the middle of the lift as I was in such a tight turn it looked like I had the throwing pegg attached to the center of the lift.

The lift was very hit and miss and the winds were really unsteady so it was a huge challenge, but I got my throw a lot more consistent and I flew way further out than I have ever felt comfy doing.

At one point I was 400' away and coming back to myself when I hit a little lift at about 30' up. Was able to milk that for about a minute in a nice tight circle and then still made it back to myself. Oh NELLLY!!!!!!!!!!!! What a blast.

I'll get the JR's installed and then I really ought to be able to trim that thing out.

Thanks everyone for your help so far!!!! What a rush to be able to do pretty well "For Me" in a very cold, breezy, day.
JONBOYLEMON is online now Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2011, 06:17 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,111 Posts
That's awesome Jon! Glad you finally tasted some thermal crack, and inhaled deeply. Must come back for more now, right? It's amazing what kind of lift you can find on certain days when you'd least expect it. What a challenge to learn the air, how to throw, how to fly efficiently, be confident enough to range out, how to do it all in wind; and then bring it all together for some great flights. Very rewarding. I get excited just writing about it!
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Feb 04, 2011, 06:57 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
...The TS was flying like a champ. The HS-55 are still not centering worth a darn and the JR's showed up today...

...I'll get the JR's installed and then I really ought to be able to trim that thing out...
Along with the servos, make sure all the control runs are SOLID and smooth. No flexy/floppy pushrod housings, no oversized holes in control horns, etc. Must be nice and tight. Any slop at all in the system will negate the precision of those nice servos.
Old Feb 05, 2011, 10:41 AM
Cottonwood Heights
Joined Jul 2005
168 Posts
I don't know if anyone is interested but I have a bunch of "beer cooler" foam blocks about the size of small shoe boxes.

Kind of thot they'd make good filler for travel boxes.

Anyway, they are free if anyone is interested.
thecirque is offline Find More Posts by thecirque
Old Feb 05, 2011, 11:29 AM
I land when i CFIT!
USA, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2007
877 Posts
Hey fellas,
I got my Blaster2 done, and am looking to fly. Anyone flying in the SL valley today?

Colby
flytrip is online now Find More Posts by flytrip
Old Feb 05, 2011, 11:55 AM
Jeremy D Stott
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,822 Posts
I'm kind of interested in flying at 12, but I'm up here in Ogden. I'm not sure if I can break away though with other things. I'll watch the thread and as things build up I'll see if I can go. Theres blue skies here and there right now.
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
Old Feb 05, 2011, 12:06 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,111 Posts
Not sure if I can make it today or not. Might be a possibility of BDO around 1:00 or 1:30, but nothing certain at this point.
Last edited by like.2.fly; Feb 05, 2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2011, 01:19 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecirque View Post
I don't know if anyone is interested but I have a bunch of "beer cooler" foam blocks about the size of small shoe boxes.

Kind of thot they'd make good filler for travel boxes.

Anyway, they are free if anyone is interested.
I might be interested in some, depending on what I find at work to make my box inserts with.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Feb 05, 2011, 02:37 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Mike, Jeremy, I take it you guys aren't making it out today? I have a couple hours to kill while my daughters at a bday party, was going to come hang out.
Old Feb 05, 2011, 02:53 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,111 Posts
What's the weather like down there Jim? Windy?
Old Feb 05, 2011, 02:56 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
More like BREEZY

8-10 here in Syracuse.
Old Feb 05, 2011, 02:59 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,111 Posts
I think I'm going to sit this one out today. Cloudy, cold, & breezy isn't inspiring me, and I don't have much spare this afternoon anyway.

Is your Salonit ready to fly?
Old Feb 05, 2011, 03:03 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Got no love from USPS today CG is marked, tail throws are about as good as they're going to get. Just waiting for a peg. Pretty soon I'll just go toss it righty
Old Feb 06, 2011, 02:09 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
I decided to replace the carbon pushrods today on the Epona, I'm getting better flap travel since I changed the geometry a bit. Hopefully it'll help this led sled slow down a bit better .

Had to post this pic, as I'm just loving this stand I built. Did I mention how versatile it is .
Old Feb 06, 2011, 11:09 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Alex, and any others who would like to join in on getting a group condo\house, place a post for Tim (carlsoti) in the AZ thread. Looks like he's taking the initiative to get something together for us, for which I'm greatful.