SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 02, 2011, 04:58 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,097 Posts
I WOULD NOT TRUST A DLG IN THERE W/ THE AIRLINES!!!!!!! NO WAY!!!!!!! EVEN MORE SO IF IT WAS MINE!!!!

Put your DLG in there and have the kid in the photo jump off the stairs and do a bum drop onto the box. Maybe then you are getting close to airline safe.

But for getting to and from the field!!!!! Oh yeah!!!!!!!!

I need to do the servo connector thing on my DLG so I can use a similar box for getting to and from field.

The TOOL I would trust with the airlines, but theres no way I would pay the $ to have them handle it. But if you needed your DLG shipped the tool would be the bomb.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2011, 05:05 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
You're most likely correct there Jon. Have yet to see the TOOL... hint, hint. Your creepy politician box works well for local transport, but just wouldn't fit in most vehicles.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Feb 02, 2011, 05:09 PM
Joined May 2002
17,097 Posts
Yeah the creep box is freaky at beast. But I love it. And I can stack it any way I want and put heavy stuff on top of it. I added some support piers so as to add strength from crushing.

As for wanting to see my TOOL..... well, get in line......... maybe if you are good you will see some pics soon. But only if you are good, and that aint likely from a guy moving to the gangland!!!!
Old Feb 02, 2011, 10:14 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
I wouldn't trust those boxes with the airlines, either, even with the thicker coroplast than we used.

They're fantastic for storage, and road travel, but I wouldn't trust someone else, besides another DLG pilot, to keep it safe.

FWIW, when my dad and I traveled to ElDo, we didn't have the boxes completely built out yet, so we just wrapped all the items in bubble wrap, the put them in the box, lightly stuffing the open areas left in the box with extra bubble wrap.

If you could find some thick (like 1", or more) EPP type foam, I think that would work best for holding things in the box. We might be using some scrap "computer packing foam" when we get around to really finishing up the boxes. Some people wanted to use FFF or similar, but I think it would be more likely to break in the event of being dropped or mishandled.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Feb 02, 2011, 11:10 PM
Joined May 2002
17,097 Posts
The TOOL will be DA BOMB!!!!
Old Feb 02, 2011, 11:56 PM
Cottonwood Heights
Joined Jul 2005
168 Posts
I don't know Greg but does anyone know where he got the hardware for this box he built? Is he a local guy? I've got a box under construction now and I'd like to find some slick corners and handles like the ones shown in the pics.

Thanks

Mike N.
thecirque is offline Find More Posts by thecirque
Old Feb 03, 2011, 12:05 AM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecirque View Post
I don't know Greg but does anyone know where he got the hardware for this box he built? Is he a local guy? I've got a box under construction now and I'd like to find some slick corners and handles like the ones shown in the pics.

Thanks

Mike N.
PM Tim (Carlsoti on here) he made the Phoenix order and has the list of parts needed.
bbbp is offline Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Feb 03, 2011, 11:35 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecirque View Post

Thanks

Mike N.
Greg (Big Weed) is a local guy from the Harrisville area. He and I went in together on the hardware for the boxes. We got the list from Carlsoti as noted below. I didn't get to help make the box, so all the credit goes to Greg for making it work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbp View Post
PM Tim (Carlsoti on here) he made the Phoenix order and has the list of parts needed.
I still have the PM from Carlsoti with all the part numbers if you need it still.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Feb 03, 2011, 01:56 PM
Always Twirling for Freedom!
Utah, planet earth
Joined Mar 2009
821 Posts
LiPo Vs NiCd

Deep thought/question:
I'm thinking about getting rid of the LiPo in the Vandal, and maybe goin' back to NiCd (or NiMh whichever). Reasons: Balance charging can't be done thru the switch jack, the need to carry a balance charger, longevity. I think if I pull the lead and the battery out I can get it to balance with 3 1000 mhA AAAs, at 4.5v.
SO, instead of only 350 mhA, I have 1000. Plus I can charge it from the normal TX/RX charger, thru the switchjack (safely), or a quick charger at the field.
What are the thoughts from the peanut gallery?
Extremeace is offline Find More Posts by Extremeace
Old Feb 03, 2011, 01:59 PM
Joined May 2002
17,097 Posts
There is ZERO need to balance a lipo used as a rx pack. You could go years w/o balancing and so long as cells are not damaged you will be fine.

I would put a bigger lipo in there. Why lead vs battery or motor in anything???

Love LIPOS in a DLG as you just fly forever and dont have to make sure you charged it up the night before if you havent flown for a month.
Old Feb 03, 2011, 02:05 PM
Utah, planet earth
Joined Mar 2009
821 Posts
Oh, plus I could put the nifty battery monitor thingy like we have in the longshots in there too. With the Lipo, I need to open the canopy to get to the balance plug in order to check the voltage.
Old Feb 03, 2011, 02:10 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
There is ZERO need to balance a lipo used as a rx pack. You could go years w/o balancing and so long as cells are not damaged you will be fine...
+1. I have never balanced my 2S lipo rx packs. I do check them once in a while and they have always been in balance. In fact, I was actually planning to cut those balance leads off that battery. Just charge it through the switchjack like normal. A bigger capacity battery would be nice, if you can keep the CG right.

Why can't you check the batt voltage through the charge plug on the switchjack?
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Feb 03, 2011, 02:10 PM
excelling at mediocrity
Franktown, CO. USA
Joined Mar 2009
3,162 Posts
After 20 months of using lipos in my DLGs, checking the balance of the cells whenever I have them "opened up", I have yet to find the cells to be more than a couple hundredths of a volt in difference.

On 380 mAh, my 6 servo Vandals will comfortably fly an easy hour to 75 minutes on a charge, depending on turbulence.

The convenience of not having to top off the battery after sitting overnight is nice, especially with several planes.

If you use a battery that turns out to be too heavy, you have to add tail weight.
gopherhunter is offline Find More Posts by gopherhunter
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2011, 02:17 PM
Utah, planet earth
Joined Mar 2009
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
Just charge it through the switchjack like normal. A bigger capacity battery would be nice, if you can keep the CG right.
But I need to charge it on a lipo charger, not the one that comes with a radio, right? I think there's 20ish grams of lead in there, that I'd love to use for a bigger (capacity) battery, but finding a Lipo the right size and weight, is proving challenging. Mike, how long will that 350 last in the vandal? Will it need to be charged mid way thru a contest? If I could get a higher capacity Nimh in there.. would it be worth the extra mhA? I don't intend on making it any heavier, I just want to maximize battery life for contests, and to do that, try and get rid of the lead.
Old Feb 03, 2011, 02:20 PM
Utah, planet earth
Joined Mar 2009
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
Why can't you check the batt voltage through the charge plug on the switchjack?
Because AD said I couldn't He's like the internet, everything he says is true! I dunno... maybe just with the hardware we have...