HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2010, 03:41 PM
Bradford, UK
Joined Sep 2010
99 Posts
Actually for $10 more than the barebones MT you can get the GT, which is the CF framed version, I have this one and I have had a couple of issues with it, but overall I think it is good value for money. As usual it's on backorder.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10900
jagsta is offline Find More Posts by jagsta
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2010, 03:44 PM
The New Guy
USA, TX, College Station
Joined Oct 2010
134 Posts
Yeah, I'm having a hard time building a cart full of parts stuff from one store. Everywhere has at least 1 item on backorder, and being new I really don't know what to substitute.

Here is my list so far: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ustomer=348472
fatalsync is offline Find More Posts by fatalsync
Last edited by fatalsync; Nov 12, 2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 03:49 PM
Bradford, UK
Joined Sep 2010
99 Posts
I had the same problem when I put my first order together, there are a number of cheap options for servos and gyros which people would recommend, I think the same goes for ESCs too. I got everything except my cyclic servos from Hobbyking in the end, and I could have got cyclic servos too, I just wanted one they didn't stock.

I'm sure the regulars will be able to offer some alternative ideas if the stuff you're looking at is out of stock.

Taken a look at the list, I think your list looks ok, if that's all in stock.

The turnigy motor is a good choice.
You might want to see what folks say about the ESC - i've got the 40A mystery which has a switching instead of linear BEC, I guess since the cyclic servos are analogue it might be fine.
I'd be tempted to go for cheap wooden blades while you're learning, they break easily and might save other parts from damage in a crash.

You probably already know this but you'll need to buy things like the pinion for the motor (3.17mm shaft 11T would be a good starting point), motor mounting bolts (M3x6) and bullet connectors and XT60 connectors to hook up the ESC to the motor and the battery to the ESC.
Last edited by jagsta; Nov 12, 2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 04:07 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,114 Posts
I've ordered and received items from HK that are always on BackOrder. So it appears there are some items they only order and get enough to fill the BackOrders (just in time delivery?). I have found most stuff on my BackOrder list gets filled within a month; however, I've had a few items that took a couple months, and a Ball Link plier that has been on BackOrder for a few months. I think the worst part of ordering BackOrder stuff, is after paying, if you later change your mind and decide not to wait for the BackOrder item, you will get "store" credit.
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Old Nov 12, 2010, 04:09 PM
Bradford, UK
Joined Sep 2010
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
I think the worst part of ordering BackOrder stuff, is after paying, if you later change your mind and decide not to wait for the BackOrder item, you will get "store" credit.
Yeah this is a real pain, i've got $35 of store credit with them at the moment and nothing I want to buy from them...
Old Nov 12, 2010, 04:40 PM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalsync View Post
Yeah, I'm having a hard time building a cart full of parts stuff from one store. Everywhere has at least 1 item on backorder, and being new I really don't know what to substitute.

Here is my list so far: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ustomer=348472
i have the MT, but try to get at least the GT if in stock, or one of the pro's. I think you get a better heli then. As i read your new to the 450 size heli.
When leartning and doing some some lazy 8's i preferred the wood blades over the FG ones on your list. The thinner profile and less weight made them feel more powerfull. The woods are about $9 shipped off ebay for 3 pairs, or get them from hk http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14011 but will cost more with their shipping.
If you do want to go FG blades might as well get a 5 or 10 pair pack from ebay. (yes... you might need them)

HK has some new metal gear servo's for under $5. I think its worth a try a will be a better deal than the 900's. I have not killed a MG servo yet... and i did try hard it seems

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14458

About the FG canopy... they do really break bad in a crash... but it will look very good on the shelve (keep it there). my stock plastic canopy survived about 10 crashes and i only needed to "correct" some paintjob on it. Good canopy to fly with

Gyro is great i think. i have 2.
For the tailservo i "won" one for free here on the RCG forums and liked it so much over the micro servo's i tried, i bought another and also liked it on bird#2
http://cgi.ebay.com/EMAX-ES20D-ES925...item2a098e6734
(and fits right in a pro frame).
Not sure if the $10 HK 9257 clone is about the same... but its out of stock anyway.
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Nov 12, 2010, 04:47 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00fman View Post
. . .
When leartning and doing some some lazy 8's i preferred the wood blades over the FG ones on your list. The thinner profile and less weight made them feel more powerfull. The woods are about $9 shipped off ebay for 3 pairs, or get them from hk http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14011 but will cost more with their shipping.
If you do want to go FG blades might as well get a 5 or 10 pair pack from ebay. (yes... you might need them)
. . .
Are you implying that FG blades are more likely to break than woodies?
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2010, 04:49 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
I'd say the complete opposite, that FG blades are so tough that they'll most likely take out quite a bit of other parts in rather than breaking.
Barak1001 is offline Find More Posts by Barak1001
Old Nov 12, 2010, 04:56 PM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,314 Posts
No, i broke any blade i had on my heli in my crashes, be it wood. FG or CF. Going above the wood blades just adds crash cost. The difference in stiffness compared to the flexy woodies will only be noticeable when you finally get the heli tuned out right and get all the slop out of the head parts... and by that time you most likely are already hovering around inverted and want to switch to CF.
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Nov 13, 2010, 01:28 AM
Joined Aug 2010
351 Posts
WOW, HK450 BB not just 9.99$!!!! that is crazy!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11446
bymannan is offline Find More Posts by bymannan
Last edited by bymannan; Nov 13, 2010 at 02:06 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 06:22 AM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2010
567 Posts
Guess they want to clear out stock or something? =)
sandos is offline Find More Posts by sandos
Old Nov 13, 2010, 08:26 AM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2010
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandos View Post
I dont know if it my batteries, but for some reason my 2836 bogs almost always. Im on a 12t pinion now, it was much better on a 11t but still not very good. 45C nanos and 40C turnigys are the ones its bogging with.
Ok, have to take that back: the 45 nano-techs are much worse than my turnigy 40C, so its probably not the motor being bad. The 40C is very decent with 12t and fairly high HS.

Nano-tech really doesn't seem like a good deal, heavier, less punch and more expensive? HK really managed to outdo themselves
sandos is offline Find More Posts by sandos
Old Nov 13, 2010, 01:10 PM
The New Guy
USA, TX, College Station
Joined Oct 2010
134 Posts
None of the GTs are in stock.

Thanks for the suggestion on the wood blades.

Those servos are slower compared to the HXTs, is that an issue?

I'll look for a plastic canopy (the kit doesn't come with it)

I'm really trying to do an "all in one box kind of deal" for this first build, so I'm trying to stick with stuff all from one store, even if I'm having to make some slight compromises.

On another note, I have a DX6i already that I bought on here used. Is there a cheaper quality receiver option available on HK than an AR6100?

Finally, I've read some snippets about a UBEC (which seems to be a sort of power conditioner). Is this needed at this point?

Thanks,
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00fman View Post
i have the MT, but try to get at least the GT if in stock, or one of the pro's. I think you get a better heli then. As i read your new to the 450 size heli.

HK has some new metal gear servo's for under $5. I think its worth a try a will be a better deal than the 900's. I have not killed a MG servo yet... and i did try hard it seems

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14458

About the FG canopy... they do really break bad in a crash... but it will look very good on the shelve (keep it there). my stock plastic canopy survived about 10 crashes and i only needed to "correct" some paintjob on it. Good canopy to fly with

Gyro is great i think. i have 2.
For the tailservo i "won" one for free here on the RCG forums and liked it so much over the micro servo's i tried, i bought another and also liked it on bird#2
http://cgi.ebay.com/EMAX-ES20D-ES925...item2a098e6734
(and fits right in a pro frame).
Not sure if the $10 HK 9257 clone is about the same... but its out of stock anyway.
fatalsync is offline Find More Posts by fatalsync
Last edited by fatalsync; Nov 13, 2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 01:17 PM
Bradford, UK
Joined Sep 2010
99 Posts
Quote:

On another note, I have a DX6i already that I bought on here used. Is there a cheaper quality receiver option than an AR6100 that is available on HK?

Thanks,
Shane
Get an OrangeRX receiver from HK, they are now only $8 which is ridiculously cheap.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11965

I have two of these, both have been fine, no glitches or range issues (i'm only park flying though, but they should be fine for the distance you'll take a 450 out).

Not sure about the speed of the servos, the ones I use are towerpro MG90 servos, digital with a speed of 0.13 - 0.11 for 4.8-6V, and these have been fine. I guess faster is better but I think most important for cyclic servos are a decent amount of torque and durability/ease of repair.

I'd try and stick with servos which people have used and can recommend, it takes some of the guesswork out of choosing.
Last edited by jagsta; Nov 13, 2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 01:31 PM
Bradford, UK
Joined Sep 2010
99 Posts
Quote:
Finally, I've read some snippets about a UBEC (which seems to be a sort of power conditioner). Is this needed at this point?
Whether you'll need a UBEC will depend on your ESC and your servos. If the BEC in the ESC is linear and low output, it might be necessary to run a seperate BEC to prevent "brown outs" where you lose the RX or other component briefly when asking too much of the built in BEC. This is less of an issue with analogue servos as they draw less current under load.

Also your ESCs BEC outputs a fixed voltage of 5V in the case of the mystery one you linked to. The other reason for a seperate BEC Is when you are using servos which only support lower voltages (like a futaba tail servo I think as an example - requires 4.8V), to prevent toasting the servo from supplying too high a voltage to it. Check the max operating voltages of the servos you're looking at, it should be higher than the BEC voltage output.